Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by angelsdontkill View Post
    It's not from one game. I've been saying this since LAST YEAR. He's simply put a better, and more consistent running back.
    If not for a few big runs his average is much lower. DeAngelo has not consistently gotten yards like he did today. He got stuffed a lot against the Saints and went backwards some too.

Either way, he and Foster need to be better on first down, because it doesn't matter who wants more carries if they are picking up a yard or losing some. We have to stay ahead of the chains if we want to be able to feed either of them the ball 20 times a game.

Comment

• Foster gets a lot of 0s and DeAngelo gets a lot of -2s. They both aren't good enough right now, but I'd list DeAngelo the #1 because he's not as fumble prone and there's actually a chance he might not suck in the future. For now, they need to be mixed up like they are now, except I'd give DeAngelo the amount of carries Foster is getting (let DeShaun start the first series to keep him happy, I could care less about that) with Foster getting more carries if he's hot or we're going up against a team with terrible run DTs like the Rams, Giants, etc

As for the game, wow. Hard to believe we're 4-2. Even though we won 25-10 it was still close until the 4th quarter, but damn, I'll take it. Great job by Vinny to come in after 3 days and do just enough. Nice to see Pep is more or less back too. I'm still skeptical of this team but we're not that much worse than the Bucs and the rest of the division blows. Man, if the Titans could have beaten Tampa today I'd feel a lot better about Indy coming off the bye...

Comment

• We should work more of the direct snap stuff in the offense. It is being used so much in College and it is something that will work in the NFL too.

Running the ball is playing a man down because the QB isn't involved at all. If we could start working that in with Smith and Williams we might have something. Hell, have an option with Smith and Williams once in a while. (Way to risky for John Fox)

Comment

• How do we keep winning?

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF View Post
            How do we keep winning?
            I don't know, and it makes me a bit mad because these are hollow victories IMO. Ones that shouldn't help Fox keep his job but probably will. These wins only set us up for more failure. They make the team lazy and think that they don't have to play great every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF View Post
              How do we keep winning?
              Short Anwser:
              Tim Rattay

Long Answer:
              Tim Rattay sucks huge donkey dick

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                Short Anwser:
                Tim Rattay

Long Answer:
                Tim Rattay sucks huge donkey dick
                very true. We have also come across some very LUCKY interceptions. The last one by Deke was rediculous.

Comment

• Ya Fitz, Pope & Urban all basically just handed you the ball

Comment

• My beef with Deangelo is I want to see more power behind his runs. Sure he had some stiff arms but that isn't what I consider power.

Comment

• That's not his game though. He's what DeShaun should have been. The shifty guy who can get more than 5 yards when he dances his way past the line of scrimmage. The lack of an effective bruiser on this team isn't his fault, he's never been that kind of back and will never even be able to grow into it like Foster has tried to

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                        That's not his game though. He's what DeShaun should have been. The shifty guy who can get more than 5 yards when he dances his way past the line of scrimmage. The lack of an effective bruiser on this team isn't his fault, he's never been that kind of back and will never even be able to grow into it like Foster has tried to
                        Doesn't mean he can't break a tackle in the hole or dragging a guy an extra yard. If he can't, I don't see him as a superstar in the league. If he could run with at least the same power Brian Westbrook does I would be happy, he outweighs Brian by about 13 pounds too.

Comment

• Freeney has his first double sack day in a while today. If I am right that he hasn't had one in a while.

Comment

• Well the 3rd quarter has started, Vinny is out, Carr is in. The team has already called it in. Down by ten they are running draws.

Carr is awful, he will only throw check downs and get sacked.

Comment

• Well I'm not that upset about today. We owned the Colts in the first half, the 10-7 score was because they got a lot of breaks to go their way (and because Ryne Robinson is a moron) but we outplayed them. Them being ahead didn't matter in the long run because we got curbstomped in the 2nd half, so yea. Also we were due for some crappy luck like that first half after the Falcons + Saints games so hopefully karma is back to normal for us and it used a game we werent going to win anyway to screw us

But still, ugh, it's disappointing. That first drive got my hopes up. And the defense was up to the task for a while too. The Special Teams still BLOWS ASS. Crossman has to be the worst coach to ever be employed in the NFL. I almost wish the whole game had been like the 2nd half, because that's what I was expecting, and I could have just turned the game off in the middle of the 2nd quarter and wrote the week off as a 2nd bye week (I already had us pencilled in as 4-3 two weeks ago).

Anyway, I'll try to draw out the positives:

- I really liked the playcalling on the first drive. I hope Davidson is still learning on the job, because he showed some flashes today and that's promising for the future. The first drive was still conservative in how it was set up, but it was good

- Wharton didn't get owned by Freeney. Pass protection all around was decent today. Not great, but a solid effort against the Colts D.

- Harris is a player. After today I'm convinced. The toss on the fumble return was stupid as hell, but I'm talking in general. I wasn't sure how good he was before just because he got a few FFs (some of it has to do with how he attacks the ball on tackles, but 4 in 6 games also has to do with getting a little lucky) but he was solid out there vs a good offense and can handle pass coverage. I hope we keep him for a long time. He'll never be an elite player, but he can be a solid staple back there like Minter was for a long time

- Kemoeatu did his job for most of the game. He's still a waste because he's a liability as a 2 down player (see that play the Colts quick snapped as he was running off the field) who's not even that great for the 2 downs he plays, but oh well.

- I hope we keep Moorehead. He's been good this year as a back up and that's all we need out of him. I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford to bring Lewis back, so we gotta get him for another year or two.

- Peppers wasn't invisible. Not a good game for him stats wise, but he was able to get some pressure. Manning is just too good at getting rid of the ball...even old man Rucker couldnt get to him against a back up LT. Manning's stats were UGLY until the 3rd quarter, so they were getting the job done...for half the game.

- Jon Beason is a great player. The only thing he doesnt excel at is taking blockers on straight ahead, but he is a beast everywhere else. I'm very excited to have him at MLB for the next 10 years.

- Carr wasn't dysfunctional at QB for once. He wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but he wasn't awful. He was able to escape pressure without running 20 yards backward and getting sacked, etc. Only problem is you can tell the offense doesnt believe in him at all. The team feeds off Vinny like they fed off Delhomme.

The Bad:

- Lucas' 2005 was a fluke. He was a solid, but unspectacular CB in Seattle. He sucked last year, but had the injury excuse. Today, he just got abused by Reggie Wayne. I think it's time to give up hope that he can be 2005 good and just face facts. He's decent enough for a #1 CB, but he's not elite or even very good.

- Inconsistent running game. Foster broke a couple 10+ yard runs, but got stuffed a lot. DeAngelo didnt get many touches, but didnt do much with what he got. FWIW, I liked that breakdown of touches. The Colts D is fast, but small. If we were going to run on them, it'd be with Foster. But we didnt

- Our team has too many players that are good enough to play, but not good enough to make a difference. This is why we're a .500 team. We have no HUGE holes (except maybe Deke Cooper and QB) but too many guys like Davis, Diggs, Kemo, Rucker at his age, Hartwig, Gross, DeAngelo, DeShaun etc. Now that I mentioned him though, Diggs has been pretty good the last two games. Diggs/Beason/Davis > Beason/Morgan/Davis RIGHT NOW, please dont put Morgan back in the middle after he's rested up on his barcalounger.

- We still suck at disguising blitzes. I knew we were screwed on that obvious blitz where Manning just lobbed the ball up to Wayne

- NFL games are 60 minutes long, not 25

- This is our last chance at the playoffs. The NFC South is wide open, and a WC spot probably will be too. Don't bank on that happening next year. If the Falcons get a QB who doesn't suck, they could pull what the Saints did last year. This is our chance. And as a baseball fan, I know what TJ surgery does to a player. You're gone for a while, and even when you come back, it takes you a year to get back to where you were before the surgery. In other words, Delhomme won't be the guy we saw with the 8 TD:1 INT ratio until at least 2009. Maybe we get the guy from 2006 next year if he comes back, but we don't want that guy. After I took a look at the QBs in the 09 class, we MUST take a guy this year. Ryan/Woodson/Brohm, it doesnt matter which, we have to get one. The guys that will be available in round 1 in 2009 might be worse than the guys available in round 2 this year.

On that last point, I dont really care if we fire Fox after this year. I honestly dont believe he deserves it (though he isn't convincing me NOT to fire him either), but it doesn't matter because I see us having no shot in 2008. It's basically a wasted year in my mind no matter what, so if we suffer through it with a new coach and a rookie QB, oh well. As long as it isn't Bill Cowher
                              Last edited by SchizophrenicBatman; 10-28-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• This game should have lost Fox his job. But:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...13162&ATT=4973

We would owe him 20 million. Way to go Hurney! Way to freaking go...

freaking a

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information