Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Harris is no where near the field general minter was.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
      Harris is no where near the field general minter was.
      Harris has started two seasons now, once on a Bears team with an already clearly defined leader and then as the new guy here.

      Minter wasn't as great field general as people think. He himself wasn't always in position and that is part of being a leader.

      Comment


      • You're missing the point. Harris has had one and a half seasons starting in two completely different schemes.

        Minter had time in 3 different defensive schemes under three different coaches, he had experience.

        He could recognise plays and adjust our corners and linebackers. No one on the team can currently do that without Morgan or Minter there.

        Comment


        • We missed the boat on Hamlin (though go back and you'll see I was all for signing him before this year) but I would love Suggs. I really think we need to consider the 2nd DE spot a big hole. If we get a top rusher and Peppers returns to form, what's wrong with having two elite DEs? And say Johnson or someone else develops more than we think...again, how is that bad? Look at the Giants, they have 4 really good DEs. It's a good problem to have. Worst case scenario Johnson plays tackle some.

          Obviously WR2 needs to be of the same perspective. If I were the Panthers staff, I'd go into this offseason thinking the only WR we have on the roster is Smith. If Robinson turns into a good slot guy or if by some miracle Jarett or Carter become a legit #2 on top of the guy(s) we added...again, how is this an issue? An embarrasment of riches is never a bad thing. The Pats have it on offense with guys like Stallworth and Maroney not seeing as much time as they would on a lesser team.

          There's nothing wrong with looking at a problem we have and overkilling it. Ultimately, the goal should be to have a Richard Marshall at every position. A guy capable of starting who just can't crack a loaded depth chart (whether or not he should actually have cracked it by now aside).

          QB - bring in someone to compete with Basanez
          RB - dump Foster, bring in a FA AND draft a guy like Matt Forte
          WR - bring in a FA or two, AND draft one if he's BPA
          OT - draft two guys if you can
          DE - stopgap FA + draft pick?
          DT - hell we need help here too
          etc

          granted with this strategy we're out of draft picks fast so you have to decide which positions are the largest problems and just find ways to get by elsewhere.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
            We missed the boat on Hamlin (though go back and you'll see I was all for signing him before this year) but I would love Suggs. I really think we need to consider the 2nd DE spot a big hole. If we get a top rusher and Peppers returns to form, what's wrong with having two elite DEs? And say Johnson or someone else develops more than we think...again, how is that bad? Look at the Giants, they have 4 really good DEs. It's a good problem to have. Worst case scenario Johnson plays tackle some.

            Obviously WR2 needs to be of the same perspective. If I were the Panthers staff, I'd go into this offseason thinking the only WR we have on the roster is Smith. If Robinson turns into a good slot guy or if by some miracle Jarett or Carter become a legit #2 on top of the guy(s) we added...again, how is this an issue? An embarrasment of riches is never a bad thing. The Pats have it on offense with guys like Stallworth and Maroney not seeing as much time as they would on a lesser team.

            There's nothing wrong with looking at a problem we have and overkilling it. Ultimately, the goal should be to have a Richard Marshall at every position. A guy capable of starting who just can't crack a loaded depth chart (whether or not he should actually have cracked it by now aside).

            QB - bring in someone to compete with Basanez
            RB - dump Foster, bring in a FA AND draft a guy like Matt Forte
            WR - bring in a FA or two, AND draft one if he's BPA
            OT - draft two guys if you can
            DE - stopgap FA + draft pick?
            DT - hell we need help here too
            etc

            granted with this strategy we're out of draft picks fast so you have to decide which positions are the largest problems and just find ways to get by elsewhere.
            I would say that seeing as we should have been last in the league in sacks, that our biggest hole is at the RDE position. (We were technically second to last, but only because we got a few against Tampa in the last game).

            The way this league is going you have got to be able to get to the QB by sending as few people as possible. The Chargers did we because they got pressure on Manning and Brady, the same goes for the Giants.

            I would really love Derrick Harvey or a miracle with Vernon Gholston. Johnson didn't get enough looks for me to say that I am even close to comfortable starting him, and McClover runs himself out of every play. I am going into the draft and free agency with the mindset that I have nobody. The same goes for receiver other than Smith like you said.

            Comment


            • The Super Bowl only furthers my point that drafting front four is the way to go. If you want to beat high power offenses you must have pressure from the front four. A safety did not win the Giants that game.

              We should also look into getting some blitz packages that work.

              Comment


              • Then we must look into getting a DC willing and able to call blitzes.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jdb1972 View Post
                  Then we must look into getting a DC willing and able to call blitzes.
                  We call them, they just aren't executed correctly and they aren't at the right time. We do blitz more than people think

                  Comment


                  • Somewhat agree. Trgo called more blitzes the last 8 games of last year than he had in the previous 24 games combined.

                    His problem is that his idea of blitzing usually seems to be to walk a LB up to the line at exactly the point he's going to attack 10-20 seconds before the ball is snapped. Again, seemed to me this got better late last season. I even saw Beason fake a couple, though I have to wonder if that was done independent of Trgo. There was even one where they sent two LBs and a corner; I was so happy I almost cried.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jdb1972 View Post
                      Somewhat agree. Trgo called more blitzes the last 8 games of last year than he had in the previous 24 games combined.

                      His problem is that his idea of blitzing usually seems to be to walk a LB up to the line at exactly the point he's going to attack 10-20 seconds before the ball is snapped. Again, seemed to me this got better late last season. I even saw Beason fake a couple, though I have to wonder if that was done independent of Trgo. There was even one where they sent two LBs and a corner; I was so happy I almost cried.
                      Thank you for saying that. I have been thinking that for a while. We telegraph or intentions so much it is rediculous. We show exactly where we are blitzing far before the play and the QB simply points him out and the line picks him up.

                      Davis and Marshall are our best blitzers right now, I don't know how good Beason is though.

                      Comment


                      • We blitz a good amount, we are just TERRIBLE at it.

                        I'm so happy we cut Wahle. Hopefully this signifies we're moving away from the blind loyalty.

                        Comment


                        • Yeah, I love your sig. Especialy the screen part.

                          Comment


                          • DeShaun Foster released.

                            Comment


                            • Saw that. Looks like it is going to be DeAngelo as the man. I have no problem with that, but I think we need and we will pursue someone to be a powerback and a compliment to DeAngelo.

                              I love Peyton Hillis

                              Comment


                              • Hurney insinuates Jarrett as the #2 WR next year
                                wtf

                                I'm happy we're cutting the dead weight and all but it means nothing if we don't actually improve the team with those free spots. This is absurd and better just be smokescreens.

                                With regards to RB, my plan from day one of the offseason has been to cut Foster's sorry ass, sign an underappreciated FA on the cheap (Derrick Ward, Mewelde Moore, Chris Brown come to mind) then pick up another guy in the loaded draft. The mid-late round guy I've been on the most is Matt Forte but it seems his bandwagon is getting a little too much steam of late.

                                Anyway, with regards to depth chart that's perfect since we really didnt have a #3 RB last year. Goings can be hidden as the #2 FB if he doesn't miss next year with Morgan-itis, plus he has value on ST so I don't see a problem with having 4 guys.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information