Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
    -Even after his breakout performance last night, I would still say DeAngelo Williams should be the starter this season. If last night was any indication, we have finally found the perfect combination at the runningback position.

-Dwayne Jarrett was solid last night and I could definitely see a chemistry develop between him and Delhomme similar to the chemistry Delhomme has with Muhammad.

-All-around, I thought the defense played one of the best games I have ever seen them play last night. The defensive line rendered Washington's running game useless and the secondary was on the spot at every reception to make sure there weren't any yards after the catch.

When is D.J. Hackett expected to be back on the field?
    I think he should be back by the opener.

Game notes:

+ Jake looked bad at first, but pulled it together. Our run game is going to be huge in calming him down and letting him make plays.

+ Stewart and Williams, these guys are going to be good. They are threats to go all the way and they seem fine with being a duo. Also, on the Rosario Touchdown, Stewart made a block that let it all happen, hitting the linebacker right in the hole.

+ Rosario was very good, I have said it all offseason, he is going to be a good receiving tightend for us. Once again he makes the athletic catches and also shows speed up the seam.

+ Jarrett played well again making nice catches short and down the field. He also made a nice block on Stewart's touchdown. Hopefully he continues this into the regular season because he will undoubtedly be the third receiver while Smith is gone.

+ The offensive line was outstanding. The opened holes and sealed off tacklers all night.

+ The defensive line was also very good. They dominated the redskins offensive line especially against the run. Hopefully I see more of what Charles Johnson displayed, we need lots of energy on the other side of the defensive line.

+ Jason Carter will make the team because of Robinson and Smith both being out for the time being. He also gets a decent return when he gets the chance.

+ Lloyd looks ridiculous. I don't want to see us letting him go. Those touchbacks are huge. They are awesome for field position, as well as the health of our players. If the team is taking touchbacks, that means less hitting for them and they stay healthy. It is also very frustrating for the other team.

For the next game, obviously the starters won't play much more than a few plays. So I want to see some guys like Dicario Birmingham who has looked good, better than Toefield in my opinion. We will also have to watch Coulclough and Wilson.

Comment

• I was wrong about Jarrett. I never liked the pick to begin with but I wrote him off way too early. Looks like he can at least be solid for us

Could Williams/Stewart = Taylor/MJD?

And yes, Rhys Lloyd is WAY more important to this team than back up linebacker #6

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
        I was wrong about Jarrett. I never liked the pick to begin with but I wrote him off way too early. Looks like he can at least be solid for us

Could Williams/Stewart = Taylor/MJD?

And yes, Rhys Lloyd is WAY more important to this team than back up linebacker #6
        Once he started disappointing in TC last year I didn't really like him either, but he has proven a lot to me this preseason. I wish he could have played last week. He has shown up in more than just receiving too. I hope Hackett will be well enough to be effective, because Jarrett could really do damage against a nickle back. I hope for Moose to get rough with Cromartie or Jammer.

I like that comparison for Stewart, but I don't know if anyone is comparable to Taylor, he is just ridiculous. I think they will blaze their own path and be very popular by midseason. I want to see some of Stewart's pass catching ability.

The player I want to show me something the most right now is probably Charles Johnson. I want he and Brayton to combine for at least 10 sacks, if they do that I think our defense will be superb.

Comment

• I'm not going to lie...as a Falcons fan the Panthers are the team that I'm worried about this year. I know we'll at least split with NO and Tampa...but you guys...not so sure about that. We're a much better team than people are giving us credit for, but I can't say that I like the prospect of Williams and Stewart for the next decade. Delhomme I couldn't care less about, he's less than scary, but the fact that he's only got to throw the ball 12 yards out to Smith on a screen to score a touchdown...well that makes your passing offense one to worry about.

Your defense is frightening though, because Julius isn't going to have another off year, he's going to be a terror again, especially with Big Bully helping spell him etc. Atlanta's OL is MUCH better than it has been, but it's still not on the level to compete with the possible level of where your DL can be. I'm hoping for a good couple of games this year, but I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a split.

Comment

• Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
            I'm not going to lie...as a Falcons fan the Panthers are the team that I'm worried about this year. I know we'll at least split with NO and Tampa...but you guys...not so sure about that. We're a much better team than people are giving us credit for, but I can't say that I like the prospect of Williams and Stewart for the next decade. Delhomme I couldn't care less about, he's less than scary, but the fact that he's only got to throw the ball 12 yards out to Smith on a screen to score a touchdown...well that makes your passing offense one to worry about.

Your defense is frightening though, because Julius isn't going to have another off year, he's going to be a terror again, especially with Big Bully helping spell him etc. Atlanta's OL is MUCH better than it has been, but it's still not on the level to compete with the possible level of where your DL can be. I'm hoping for a good couple of games this year, but I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a split.
            Without Hall I don't know how well you guys can contain Smith.. However, John Abraham should have some nice games against Gross. Otah against Anderson should be interesting, those guys are mammoths.

Comment

• To be completely honest, Grimes looks better so far than Hall has. He doesn't have the ball skills, no one will debate that, but in coverage he's been glue. Of course Smith is a different animal and I think that Hall may be the best matchup one on one with him. I'm not worried about him getting that deep ball, I'm more worried about the screens, but Grimes has proven that he has NO problem tackling reference the Arizona game last year.

Abe is going to get his, I don't care who you have over there, you just have to contain the other side, if you shift too much help that way then Jamaal will get him some. He's by NO means Abraham, but he's not nearly as bad as most of the Falcons fans here say he is. He's still got a lot to learn, but the good thing is, he's 22, he should be a rookie this year, he does have time to grow.

The thing I'm most worried about is stopping that run up the middle. Grady does a great job, but he can't do it alone. I believe that Lofton will be a terror to run against and will cause them to bounce outside, but that's our only hope.

Comment

• Abraham always destroys us, we just have to hope he misses time against or something.

Also, a few posts up, I wasnt comparing our duo to Taylor and MJD specifically, just saying they could equal their impact and production

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                  Abraham always destroys us, we just have to hope he misses time against or something.

Also, a few posts up, I wasnt comparing our duo to Taylor and MJD specifically, just saying they could equal their impact and production
                  Yeah I get ya.

Alright guys so Jason Carter is done for the year. This complicates two positions now, both the punt return position and the 3rd or 4th receiver position depending on Hackett.

Right now we have Travis Taylor, Hannon, or Dominique Thompson to choose from to take his place on the final roster. None of them are particularly appealing, but Taylor has experience at least, so he won't be scared. Bringing another receiver in won't help right away because they won't know the playbook. If a return man turns up on the wire though, we should take him. Otherwise Coulclough is probably the punt returner, which isn't too bad.

I think that Hackett will be ready for the opener. In which case I expect to be starting Moose, Hackett and Jarrett. One thing we could do is put DeAngelo out there at receiver in the slot on some plays, even as a distraction. I would also try and get Rosario into the passing game more, he has tons of athleticism and is big enough to shield defenders. He may even get some slot action.

Something I really want to see is DeAngelo and Stewart in the backfield at the same time, but without Jake. If they can work on the zone read play, they would be deadly. I would have DeAngelo taking the snaps because I like his burst if that defensive end chases down the line.

For now, I think those are the types of things this offense needs to really get some big plays.

Comment

• I would probably put Rosario at wide receiver before Williams. Our offense will likely lean very heavily on the Stewart/Williams combination out of the backfield for those first two games. I also like Rosario's potential as a pure receiver and think his size could give him quite the advantage against cornerbacks or safeties.

Comment

• I just worry because we now have no receiver who can threaten the defense deep. The Chargers will undoubtedly put eight in the box and leave their corners on an island.

Comment

• The advantage we have on one side of the field is experience, Muhumad should be able to outwit Cromartie and Jarrett has been playing well.

I'm not saying they'll blow up but I think that if Delhomme is on the money the receivers can get open.

The chargers loss of Merriman is a blessing at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          The advantage we have on one side of the field is experience, Muhumad should be able to outwit Cromartie and Jarrett has been playing well.

I'm not saying they'll blow up but I think that if Delhomme is on the money the receivers can get open.

The chargers loss of Merriman is a blessing at this point.
                          I think that Rosario will be a big player. The other teams may know about him, but the other players don't respect him yet. If we get the play action going, look for him to be big. Jake also throws best across the middle in my opinion.

Comment

• I know i touched on him before, but i have him in some advanced fantasy football league, and i was wondering what your projections of Beason's numbers will look like, for things regarding Tackles, INTs, sacks, FF, and passes deflected.

As someone who gets to see maybe 6 Panther games a year, i'm interested to see what your take on this is. What will help/hinder him this year, and what are your expectations on a whole, not just fantasy production related.

I'm not just interested in the fantasy side of this, so any defensive scheme type information and such would also interest me.

Thanks in advance.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                            You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                              I know i touched on him before, but i have him in some advanced fantasy football league, and i was wondering what your projections of Beason's numbers will look like, for things regarding Tackles, INTs, sacks, FF, and passes deflected.

As someone who gets to see maybe 6 Panther games a year, i'm interested to see what your take on this is. What will help/hinder him this year, and what are your expectations on a whole, not just fantasy production related.

I'm not just interested in the fantasy side of this, so any defensive scheme type information and such would also interest me.

Thanks in advance.
                              I don't know if he will get as many tackles, but I think he could have a stat line like this:

130 total tackles, 3 INT, 6-8 passes defended, 3 FF, 2 sacks

He is under rated in just about every part of his game right now because of our market, he is very good in coverage.

Comment

• Beason has about as good an all-around game as you'll see in a MLB. Potential to fill up the stat line across the board. Doubt he piles up as many tackles this year however, since our offense doesnt look to be as bad as last year

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information