No announcement yet.

Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newton threw deep passes with ease, often hitting receivers perfectly in stride or threading the needle right into their arms. Then he’d scramble for a first down, or throw a perfect fade into the end zone for a touchdown. It all seems so effortless to him.
    http://sportsclt.com/2011/08/06/newt...off-the-field/

I'm trying to stay realistic, I keep telling myself it's only fan fest. And I know we are missing like half the defense... But this article made me more excited for the Panthers than I have been since 2008.

This time of the year is always interesting to hear about the training camp stars but we've never had a stud like this and I can't wait to see him next Saturday.

Here is a another article written (strangely) about it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-cam-fest.html

Our offense has great pieces to be so dynamic. I love the Olsen pickup so much and if Gettis can progress we will have a nice deep threat.

Armanti Edwards is this years wide receiver sensation. All the previous have failed, I hear he could catch punts with his eyes closed so I bet he makes the team at least as a returner.

I want a 2nd corner still
    Last edited by ShutDwn; 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Im really excited too, this made me wonder how good Cam can actually be this early, i mean i figured hed be good eventually but this makes me think he might be good as a rookie because he seems to be progressing so fast.

Gettis hopefully will get better and if he doesnt ive always like Naane (spelling?) and think he could step in, hes also still young and could end up being great.

Im super excited dude, cant wait to see Carolina running a west coast offense and not just running.

https://twitter.com/#!/DarthSharkPanch

Comment

• Cam Newton... WOW!

I haven't seen a performance by a Panther QB like that in a long time. I hate that we lost, but I am still so pumped. Our defense showed up but lost it on two plays, I was really surprised by Johnson and Hardy. The run game needs to show up more, I would have put Stewart in more, he is a better runner vs the Cardinals.

Overall I like the debut of the new coaches too.

Comment

• This is probably the best our passing game has ever looked. Now if we can get the running game working the way it did a few years ago we are set on offense.

Comment

• My takeaways from the game:

I don't care about Andrew Luck at all anymore. Cam made mistakes, but he still carried us and we were in the game. That 62 yarder to Smith was insane.

Our defense actually held up well for the most part. Pugh is the biggest weakpoint. I was really impressed with Gamble and Captain.

Our offensive line can pass block but can't run block. The Packers are really good against the run but wow, DeAngelo hasn't done a thing. Stewart is a beast in the passing game.

Byron Bell, undrafted rookie, was plugged in at RT and performed well actually.

I want more Olsen and less Naane. Seriously, Armanti Edwards has to offer more than that.

Steve, hold the ball like you've played the game before.

oh, and Thomas Davis has retorn his ACL. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Our defense has lost it's top two leaders now. We've been really unlucky with these injuries so far.

Comment

• yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by dj825 View Post
                yeah it sucks about Davis...as much as i hate to say it im pretty sure he needs to just cal it a career before he completely screw over his knee more than it already has to be...at the beginning of the season i think LB was our strongest point on defense, at this rate it might become more of a liability if we keep losing players like this.

i agree about Naane, Olsen is the one that needs to be getting those catches/minutes.
                Olsen has pretty good numbers compared to our previous tightends but they could be better. The offensive line needs a little help in order for our receivers to get downfield so we are keeping tightends in to block more.

Comment

• Little stat I found in the NFL.com power rankings talking about Dom Capers defense getting owned against Cam:

rookie passers didn't even average a 50 passer rating against Capers' defenses over his career
                  But, I'm sure there is some excuse as to why this happened and only other fans can enlighten us on. It's barely even mentioned that our RT last week was an undrafted rookie.

These quotes from analysts are a big part of why Cam has been so shocking. Besides, you know, making history two weeks in a row.

Comment

• Adam Shefter with a good radio clip about Cam, talks about visiting Charlotte in June and talking with players.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7008548

I'm really worried about our secondary with Godfrey out. The guy has had ups and downs but I like how he has developed and the flexibility he brings when he moves to the slot I think that we matched up well with the Packers better than I thought we would because our secondary is exactly what it needs to be skillset-wise to hang with the passing attacks flooding the NFL. Strong safeties aren't as effective anymore, two free safeties is the way to go now. Thank god we are playing a rookie QB with no receivers.

Our linebackers are depleted too and we are going to get a long look at our backups.

So far this years draft class has looked like the best in a long time. Both our rookie DTs are playing well and I have high hopes for Pilares to turn into a dynamic slot player. Hogan needs to get healthy so we can even know what he looks like on the field.

Comment

• so this is the 3rd time in as many games that ive noticed Smitty seemingly not even trying to get his feet in bounds on a catch that it seems fairly easy to do so...wtf is up with that?

Comment

• and what was that replay call? im sure his elbow was down but it was pretty impossible to see and since you cant see it it didnt happen basically, that was just simply the ref going off of what he thought happened not what he saw.

Comment

• Cam was off all day, I know Jacksonville got close to some INTs but he looked shaky today. I gotta give him credit for sticking tough and leading that last drive. I don't understand why the hell we went for two. If we hadn't gotten it and Jax scored, a FG would only tie, if we kick the extra point we can win with a FG... The same exact scenario that happened when we converted the two points. C'mon coaches, do the math.

Gameball belongs to Stewart for sure, he has been great.

2 penalties made this game far closer than it should have been.

1- our offsides when they were punting led to three points
                          2- Charles Johnson jumps offsides on a fumbled snap and two plays later they've got seven. I think we actually had recovered the ball? Too lazy to look though.

Our D plays strong but then it breaks too fast. Poor tackling is a huge problem. Gotta give Munnerlyn some credit, he made some good plays on the ball and was on the punt returners instantly. Johnson and Hardy are beasts, I love those two on the ends. I think our defensive line is shaping up for the future nicely.

I want to see a different receiver in there other than Naane. He is such balls. I miss David Gettis every time I look at Naane.

Comment

• yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.

Comment

• Originally posted by dj825 View Post
                              yeah Munnerlyn has recovered very nicely from his poor ish play in week 1. I was really hoping the running game would come back a it today but it didnt, Stewart was amazing but he only got 10 touches, which i found kinda weird.

yes we did recover that fumble that was overturned because of the offsides, i was pretty annoyed but he made a mistake and he as you pointed out has been wrecking havoc on QBs all year along side Hardy. the DTs are still getting burned by the run but theyre doing good pushing the pocket and are getting better against the run, im pretty pleased at their development.
                              Fua and McCain could use more experience versus the run, I think depth would also help. I don't think they'll ever be fantastic run stuffers but they are all around good players and when another team is busting big runs everyone on defense is responsible.

When it started pouring I got pretty worried that we would make some really bad mistakes due to the conditions. We let up that last touchdown at the half but I don't attribute that to the conditions.

Cam will learn how to throw the ball away eventually, especially after that one stupid play he made to Shockey for negative yardage. I love that he avoided a sack, but throw it AWAY

Comment

• yeah...idk what was with him throwing it so high yesterday since he has usually been money on those passes but inconsistency is bound to happen like that since he is a rookie. i was mostly upset by it cuz i started him in my fantasy football league expecting him to really beat down the Jags secondary.

I like how Cam was able to get it together a bit late in the game and lead us on that drive for the TD, was very impressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information