Carolina Panthers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shylo3716 View Post
    Do you guys take Claiborne in the Top 5 if you still pick in that spot?
    I don't really think he is a top five prospect, but I don't know that much about his measurables. For mocks, I would say he or Blackmon is the way to go. In reality, I would rather trade back and get some more picks to use in the 2nd or third round.

Depending on how his stock goes, I would rather pick defense in the first and then draft Mohamed Sanu in the second or so. I don't know if he is going to make to the second though once everyone realizes Alshon sucks.

Comment

• I disagree on WR at any point. We already have 5 young receivers (1st or 2nd year) on the roster (6 if you include Gettis who is on IR), the only way we take a receiver is if it's Blackmon. He's the only one that projects to be a future #1, but even then with as horrid as our defense is that's a luxury pick.

I'd prefer to trade down to pick up additional picks and smartly draft some defensive players that will help.

Comment

• Both McClain and Fua are out for the year now. Holy **** are we decimated. Not that they were really stopping anyone but wow, that's a lot of players to lose.

On the flipside, Grimes is out and Turner has a nagging injury as well. I hope to see a better team out there in the rematch against the Falcons.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF
          I don't think it's a coincidence that the best our run defense looked at year was the game Fua missed.
          It's definitely hard to tell because we got a big lead, but I think it could be true. McClain is the bigger loss for sure.

Comment

• That game was amazing. Granted the Bucs suck, still, I think the team is finally learning how to put teams down for good.

I love LaFell's catch. If he works on his routes more and builds with Cam he could be something good in the number two or the slot when Gettis comes back.

Got to give some credit to the defense, they played well too, and they have been for a while. They're finally playing the Robin to the offense's Batman and keeping teams from running with them.

Anyone else feeling better about the defensive tackle position a bit? I know none of them are great by themselves, but as a unit, I think we have a good enough rotation to win with for now. I would add a stud, but there is no need to reach. I'd rather see a defensive end drafted than a defensive tackle. We have Keiser, Applewhite, Hardy and CJ but I think we need more pass rush. QBs habe too much time to abuse our secondary.

Comment

• That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smash28Dash34 View Post
                That's why I think Coples is an intriguing prospect. He might not be a speed rusher, but put him opposite CJ and we just might have one of the best young tandems in the league.
                Problem with that is I've never seen him play and his numbers were lackluster. More information will come out but he seems to be being drafted on size and ability rather than production. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

A lot of our speculation will be narrowed down by what we do in free agency. I could see some decent mid level signings along with retaining some guys they like.

Comment

• We won't have a lot of cap room to do anything in free agency if we don't rework some contracts. According to reports we're already over what next years cap projects to be and that's with some guys we'd probably like to re-sign (Anderson, Shockey, etc.).

Coples I'm not impressed with (and I'm a UNC fan). He had a solid year last year but this year his numbers dipped. Hell, two games (Duke & James Madison) account for over half his sack total this year. He'll get drafted almost purely on athleticism.

Comment

• We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPF View Post
                      We project to be around 4 mill over the cap, considering we'll have a top 10 pick we'll need to cut around 7 mill just to sign our first round pick.
                      http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/pos...gures-for-2012

How much does cutting Sherrod Martin and Mare clear up? I don't need to see Sherrod take any more bad angles or regress any further.

The thing about loyalty towards players and paying them big money is that they work with the front office more and help make room for improvements. Hopefully...

They'll make it and probably make it with enough room to sign some decent free agent. Too bad we can't go after Landry, we need another playmaker badly.

Comment

• http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

welcome to the doghouse Sherrod. A young safety could be on the board, but I kind of think Rivera would rather get a decent vet in there. Safeties aren't worth top picks.

It looks like the team likes Gettis and Lafell a lot, but if hell froze over and Blackmon was available I think we still take him. He would be the BPA by far and I'd like the looks of our new generation of receivers a lot.

Comment

• Cutting Mare saves about 200K, so not even enough to replace him.

Cutting Martin saves around 575K.

Comment

• Lol holy crap talk about throwing a guy under the bus. Seems to me he will definitely be cut. I would love a guy like Laron Landry here.

Comment

• Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position

Comment

• Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                                Why would we take a QB #1 overall when we just took one in the 2nd round the year before?

I'm not confident in either of Fua/McClain developing into more than rotation players and even if they do, Ron Edwards is getting up there in age and coming off an injury. There's always room for good players. Look at the Giants and the DE position
                                The giants are a good example of how to stockpile defensive line talent. Teams who can't win the line don't often win championships (unless they have a HOF QB to bail them out for seasons on end).

I have no problem drafting Brockers even though we drafted two DT last year because he has some huge potential. When someone mentions Richard Seymour when describing a player, I'm all ears. We'll see how he does during the eval process.

As for receiver, I think Wright could be out there in the second but the league does love speedsters. I have seen Rueben Randle make a good amount of plays this year though I haven't looked at him as a prospect, I think he was highly touted though.

I'll break something if we draft Jeffery. I've been a fan of big college receivers before. The same argument is used in their favor but it doesn't work in the NFL if they don't have the speed. I'm not really sure bout the work ethic in learning routes, he'll need to be fantastic to be effective.
                                Last edited by ShutDwn; 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information