Thoughts on Benson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Benson?

What are your thoughts on Benson? On this one Bears message board I visit once in a while, according to them Benson is already a huge bust, but most of them are idiots on that board (for instance, some people want McFadden with our first pick and Dixon with our second), and they think Benson is the reason why our offense is so bad this season.

This topic hasn't been discussed much here however, and I'd like to hear the thoughts of some more well educated Bear fans.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

I don't think the Bears should give up on him just yet, but this season has proved he does need a good O-line and QB in order to succeed. I think he can be great if you split up the carriers with another back, maybe one who can actually catch a ball. Just look at last year. He really thrived with Thomas Jones as his counterpart. Maybe if Peterson could get it together then all your problems could be solved.

Comment

While I'm not a more well educated bears Fan I think he will work real well in a two back system, but not a workhorse.

To be fair our line, imo, has not blocked well enough for many backs to do well this year. I think that Running Back is A need but not a primary need. We need O-line, Safety, QB more and is on the same level with linebacker(depending on briggs) and defensive tackle.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

I think untill he gets a good offensive line it's hard to judge him.

Is he special? No. But there are really only about 10 special backs in the NFL, so as long as he can not fumble and eat up yards he's worth keeping around.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Haha, the Bears board is funny. I do the same thing every once and a while.

But on Benson, right now he is looking like a bust just because he cant manage anything w/o an offensive line. I think to draft a player like that, you need to have one to begin with. But not only that, he doesnt play with any drive, he goes down on contact easy, not a great reciever, or blocker. I dont know even with a good offensive line that he would be any good just because he goes down so easily.

Would I be opposed to drafting DMC? no. I think the 2 back system would be good, but it would signal that Benson isnt who we thought that he was, and that he wont be around once his contract runs up unless he signs for less money.

I think priorities though would go somewhat in this order:
          OL
          QB/S
          WR/RB

And I dont think that we need an OLB if Briggs ends up leaving. We have spent 2 3rd round draft picks on OLB in Okwo and Jamar Williams. I think we give them a shot before we give up on them.

Originally posted by BeansDooma
          who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

[Denny Green]HE WASN'T WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS![/Denny Green]

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.

Comment

Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
                BUT WE TRADED AWAY THOMAS JONES SO THATS WHY HE'S ON THE DAMN FIELD!

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                  Don't get me wrong, if we had a chance to draft DMC I'd do it in a heartbeat and cut Benson's ass. Barring that, however, there really isn't a major upgrade available.
                  I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

Bears would take big cap hit for cutting RB Benson
                  If the Bears cut Cedric Benson at the end of this season because they conclude he isn't the featured back they envisioned - a possibility - the remainder of his unaccounted for signing bonus will be an immediate salary-cap hit. Given the two years left on Benson's deal, according to a pro-rated bonus that would accelerate, that could count as much as $5.15 million against the salary cap if the Bears choose to get Benson off the books. Add that to the cost of buying another running back such as Turner, who won't be cheap, and you can see why the Bears need Benson to turn it on in the second half of the season. -- Chicago Tribune
                  And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
                    I dont think there is any way to cut him. I read on Fox sports today that if we did its a 5million+ cap hit.

And to the whole trading of TJ...I still love the trade. We essentially got 3 players who will be around chicago for 3-5 years (Okwo, Bauzin, and a 3rd this year) for the price of a guy who would have left after 1 year due to contract demands
                    4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                      4 actually, we got their 5th as well in 07 (Kevin Payne)
                      Thank you for furthering my point lol

Comment

Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
                        That's so great that it earned you a + rep from me.

Not only is that funny, but I would have to agree with it, hence the "real RB" part of my new sig.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.

Comment

Benson has the tools. It seems to be all mental with him. I think he'll get it going eventually. The o-line has really sucked and I don't care who you are, your not going to produce if you have no one blocking for you (see LT and LJ).

BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?

Comment

Originally posted by k0ng View Post
                            BTW, what the **** is going on with Wolfe?
                            He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              He's a "change of pace" back. It's hard to get a change of pace when there's no pace being set in the first place.
                              it doesn't help that he is pretty much the size of my little cousin.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information