2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
    Shhh don't tell the rest of the Browns fans that they may **** a brick. I've been saying it since last year that he's not worth a lick. He's a very good backup QB thats it. Oh don't tell other teams either. I'd like to at least get a very good special teams linebacker and a pick from someone out there...please...anyone???
    lol i dont think hes that bad, but yeah I agree he looks hella-good only cause he has the weapons. Though Brady did nothing to make me support him the other night either.
    Bears fan

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
    Jimmy Buckets <3

Comment

• So I feel it is kind of assumed that if the offense sucks again this year, Ron Turner is gone. Despite the fact that I feel his termintation is overdue Im not sure what he can expected to do with an offense that needs a complete overhaul of the offensive line and has virtually no talent at the skill positions other than TE.

I also get the impression that unless the defense massively dissapoints this year Lovie and Angelo will get another year with a new offensive coordinator to try and turn things around on offense.

Anybody disagree? Does anybody think the Bears organization would put up enough money for a credible and established OC that could actually compensate for Lovie and Angelo's deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball? Ron Turner deserves to be fired but at the same time I don't see him leaving changing much. It seems like were in a catch 22 basically because our head coach is a glorified defensive coordinator and the organization is thrifty when it comes to coaching.

Just throwing some thoughts out there. Again the season hasn't started yet and maybe the offensive line will get their act together and the Ron Turner offense led by Kyle Orton will take care of business, but I'm just not feeling optimistic about the future of the Lovie Smith era in Chicago.

Comment

• All of us were calling for Turner's head last year. If the offense stinks again, which it probably will, I would have to think that's it for him. I'm already holding out for Lane Kiffin. I figure Al Davis will successfully get rid of him this year. He should be able to do better.

Comment

• Trade 2 first rounders for jason peters :D

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
            All of us were calling for Turner's head last year. If the offense stinks again, which it probably will, I would have to think that's it for him. I'm already holding out for Lane Kiffin. I figure Al Davis will successfully get rid of him this year. He should be able to do better.
            We were. I really wonder what happened two years ago, and what has actually gone on in the organization that has caused such a decline. Age? Hardly. Personnel turnover? Possibly.

I think the primary cause of this HAS to be Ron Turner above grossman and orton, the o-line... His lack of preparation and adaptation kinda makes me want to puke.
            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Turner just has absolutely no clue how to keep a defense off balance. My dad and I can call a run play from a mile away, and when it gets stuffed they run the same play again. We run some of the worst screen plays I've ever seen, or well we can't execute them at all.

Turner has a decent offensive package, he just doesn't know what the **** he's doing. Granted he doesn't have much of an OL or much of a QB to work with but still.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
              Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• I agree with all the criticisms of Turner but I'm just not optimistic that things will get drastically better if/when he's fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                  We were. I really wonder what happened two years ago, and what has actually gone on in the organization that has caused such a decline. Age? Hardly. Personnel turnover? Possibly.

I think the primary cause of this HAS to be Ron Turner above grossman and orton, the o-line... His lack of preparation and adaptation kinda makes me want to puke.
                  Winning cures everything. Three years ago, when he first came in, we gave him a pass because he had a rookie quarterback and a hold-out runningback who didn't know the offense.
                  Two years ago, they went to the super bowl. Grossman caught a ton of the blame for the offense scuffling.
                  Last year, since we weren't winning, and Grossman got benched, everyone who originally thought that Grossman was the problem, finally figured out that the whole offense was the problem, starting with Turner.
                  Originally posted by FedEx227
                  No!

See... Griese throws picks because Ron Turner is a bad coordinator.

Rex threw picks because he wanted to and he was the anti-christ.
                  I also agree with Sweetness, that Turner has a good set of offensive plays, he just doesn't know how to use it. They've had good 4th quarter drives (Eagles / Packers) but they were never able to put everything together. I also think that part of that is on Lovie Smith. If he plans more aggressively and makes more adjustments, every part of the offense should be better.

Comment

• I still want ex-Alabama coach Mike Shula, I think he's the Jaguars quarterback coach now.

I actually disagree with the need to pay assistants top dollar. I think an exception could be made for offensive coordinator, since that's an area we obviously need a lot of help in, but I think for most assistant jobs you want someone up-and-coming and that is hungry, and those guys are usually cheap anyway. The ownership gave Lovie the big bucks, more than he deserves arguably, so I'm happy on that front.

I'm also not a big Ron Turner fan, but I can't really blame him either. He's an average coach with an awful set of players. I don't think Bill Walsh could save our offense.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
                      Winning cures everything. Three years ago, when he first came in, we gave him a pass because he had a rookie quarterback and a hold-out runningback who didn't know the offense.
                      Two years ago, they went to the super bowl. Grossman caught a ton of the blame for the offense scuffling.
                      Last year, since we weren't winning, and Grossman got benched, everyone who originally thought that Grossman was the problem, finally figured out that the whole offense was the problem, starting with Turner.

I also agree with Sweetness, that Turner has a good set of offensive plays, he just doesn't know how to use it. They've had good 4th quarter drives (Eagles / Packers) but they were never able to put everything together. I also think that part of that is on Lovie Smith. If he plans more aggressively and makes more adjustments, every part of the offense should be better.
                      Wasn't that the game where Griese's helmet mike failed and so he just called the plays himself?

Comment

• Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
                        Wasn't that the game where Griese's helmet mike failed and so he just called the plays himself?
                        Yes it was. That showed that Turner's offense has the stuff, when Griese called plays it worked. The biggest problem is a total lack of urgency. They had next to no offense before that. In the first Green Bay game, they didn't have a first down until somewhere in the second quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          I'm also not a big Ron Turner fan, but I can't really blame him either. He's an average coach with an awful set of players. I don't think Bill Walsh could save our offense.
                          How dare you disrespect Walsh like that.

What was so awful two years ago 51? Essentially the same group of players, only an over the hill o-line. We have the same quarterback(s), types of recievers (old, slow, route runners, a few fast ones, oh, and mark bradley), new running backs... and still, our offense is anemic? do you say last year was all ortons fault? grossmans? ceds? was it really our offensive line that was so terrible? or was it the predictibility, the unwavering commitment to dumb down the playbook and limit the plays so that defenses (and us non-initiated folk), could easily counter with proper adjustments... yummy.

If limiting the plays hasn't worked, why continue with it?
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• The difference between Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson is night and day I'm sorry to say.

The offensive line fell off drastically. The same names doesn't mean the same players.

We actually passed the ball pretty well last year, barring the all-too-common interceptions. I actually thought the passing plays Turner set up were pretty smart given what he had to work with, the problem is that we couldn't hold a pocket to save our life and nobody respected our running game so they could tee off on us.

As for how dumbed down the playbook was, I actually think it was a total 180. I don't think it was dumbed down at all, it was simply too cute. But again, when you can't do the basics you try to see what else will work.

I would put last year's offensive failure at about 95% personel. A lot of that is just my general feeling that coaching is very overrated in the NFL, but some of it is just watching our teams inability to do even the most basic things last year.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Alright here is my review of the 3rd preseason game.

Offense: O-line looked decent in pass protection but it was against the lowly 49ers D-line so I expected as much. Run blocking is still an issue, the line doesnt seem to get a consistent push.

Quarterback seems set. Orton looked like a solid QB, again against a pourous 49er defense, yet it was still impressive. He made some good plays. I really can't remember any bad ones. On a side note Grossman just looked terrible again. Maybe the O-line hates him? They didnt seem to block for him at all.

Runningback: Forte looked very solid, again I still see TJ version 2 in him and thats a good thing. Jones looked explosive and if he can run that hard all year we should have a solid one-two punch. Hell, he might even be worth retaining.

Wide Receivers: Hester dropped a ball early and never really got into the game, Davis, a guy I thought we should have cut, came up big. He and Orton seemed to be on the same page throughout the first half, and he nearly had 3tds. Mark Bradley showed his flash for the pre-season. I didnt even see Booker, except for the one pass Grossman threw at him (nearly picked). Lloyd had a good ST play but I wouldnt expect it from him in the regular season. I would have liked to see the chemistry come back again from last week with Lloyd and Orton but Davis stole it, it seems. I didnt re-watch more than 2 minutes into the 4th so i didnt see many of the maybes.

Tight End: Blocking is definately not their best attribute, but they have good receiving ability. Olsen had a couple of plays wiped out from penalties. If they become more serviceable blockers our TE corps could be the best in the league IMO. And I usually don't like to overstate stuff like that.

Defense: Im just gonna go with an overall approach to this. They were terrible, all day to throw, wide open receivers, running lanes up the wazoo, missed tackles galore, just an all around terrible outing. I am hoping it is more due to lack of intensity, but we looked terrible yesterday.

Special Teams: Missed tackles plagued us, but a blocked FG and blocked punt is a damn good start.We took too many chances with the reverse inside the 5 with Daniel Manning, Hester coming out of the endzone then getting tackled in the endzone for what should have been a safety, Manning's fumble on the return. We got lucky with those. Wolfe's fumble we did not get so lucky. Missed blocking assignments. These need to be corrected. Otherwise our special teams might not be so great this year. Although it should still be a good unit.
                              Bears fan

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
                              Jimmy Buckets <3

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearsfan123 View Post
                                Quarterback seems set. Orton looked like a solid QB, again against a pourous 49er defense, yet it was still impressive. He made some good plays. I really can't remember any bad ones. On a side note Grossman just looked terrible again. Maybe the O-line hates him? They didnt seem to block for him at all.
                                i hope they do. they've gotta be just as sick of his **** as I am, if not moreso.... you block and block and block and that midget hocks up a interception 35 yards down the field and suddenly you have to go try and tackle the guy who made the pick...

I'd hate him too as an o-lineman

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information