Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Chicago Bears General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bearfan View Post
    I dont know if we should draft stewart, maybe if we let Benson go, but I have seen a few mocks where we get some quick back like Steve Slaton, that would make for a good 1-2 punch if you ask me.
    I personally see Slaton in that 2nd-3rd range mainly because of the question marks about him carrying the load, and I agree with that assessment. But he could make a fine compliment in a 2-back system.

    ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
      He'll be 29 next year and he's never had more than 7 sacks in a season. I think a 4th rounder is much more realistic.
      Call me crazy, but I think some team would be willing to give up a 3rd rounder for an above average DE who would start right away...

      ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
        I personally see Slaton in that 2nd-3rd range mainly because of the question marks about him carrying the load, and I agree with that assessment. But he could make a fine compliment in a 2-back system.
        If its between Jonathan Stewart and Steve Slaton I think its a no brainer, take Stewart. he changes direction very well for his size and has solid straight line speed and he catches and blocks which Benson can't do. Slaton is no more valueable than Wolfe IMO. We like to pound the ball and we already have a solid 3rd down back in Wolfe who runs between the tackles very well for his size. Stewart reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson being a big, do it all back. I just don't think Slaton would add anything unless we get rid of Adrian Peterson which I am a bigger fan of than others. I don't see him as even a solid #2 back. I think Wolfe could overtake him personally. We could find someone else on ST's. We always do.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
          Call me crazy, but I think some team would be willing to give up a 3rd rounder for an above average DE who would start right away...
          You're crazy.

          And he's not above average. Brown has always been overrated. Anyone that is that lack of a pass rush that he is isn't going to have that much value.

          I wouldn't be against keeping Brown. Granted it will create a bit of a logjam with Bazuin coming back, but someone always seems to get hurt in training camp and if not Isreal Idonije isn't exactly irreplaceable.


          Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
            If its between Jonathan Stewart and Steve Slaton I think its a no brainer, take Stewart. he changes direction very well for his size and has solid straight line speed and he catches and blocks which Benson can't do. Slaton is no more valueable than Wolfe IMO. We like to pound the ball and we already have a solid 3rd down back in Wolfe who runs between the tackles very well for his size. Stewart reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson being a big, do it all back. I just don't think Slaton would add anything unless we get rid of Adrian Peterson which I am a bigger fan of than others. I don't see him as even a solid #2 back. I think Wolfe could overtake him personally. We could find someone else on ST's. We always do.
            If we are picking in the 2nd and both Stewart and Slaton are there, of course you take Stewart. But Stewart is likely gonna be long gone come the 2nd round. My ideal situation would still be to sign Chris Brown. We almost signed him this year, and he is an Illinois native (naperville I believe). Also, instead of having 2 FB's, which Lovie seems to love the idea of, we could keep 4 RB's...

            ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
              That's why we wouldn't give him the load. He would be a good no. 2 back.
              As talented as he is I just feel its a patchwork selection given his injury conditions. I personally think it would be a wasted acquisition. We can do better. Injuries have already been a problem for this team. Why add another..*shrugs*

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                I personally see Slaton in that 2nd-3rd range mainly because of the question marks about him carrying the load, and I agree with that assessment. But he could make a fine compliment in a 2-back system.
                If Felix Jones is avail I'd take him over Slaton personally. I'd still like to see what Wolfe has as a #2 or 3rd down back.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
                  If Felix Jones is avail I'd take him over Slaton personally. I'd still like to see what Wolfe has as a #2 or 3rd down back.
                  Wolfe will never amount to anything in the NFL, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but 5'7" 180 lb running backs will get killed in the NFL. What a horrible selection by Angelo that was...

                  And I doubt Felix Jones is available in the 2nd...

                  ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                    Wolfe will never amount to anything in the NFL, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but 5'7" 180 lb running backs will get killed in the NFL. What a horrible selection by Angelo that was...

                    And I doubt Felix Jones is available in the 2nd...

                    I hear ya Smokey.

                    I think Jones will be available for the simple fact that this could be a huge crop of RB's if a lot of the juniors decide to go pro. I think we have a good chance of getting a top tier back in the 2nd. I'd rather go Stewart in the 1st but something tells me Angelo may still have blind faith in mr. headcase Benson.

                    Comment


                    • with how many needs we have, don't you realize how idiotic and stupid it would be to go with Stewart in the first!?!?! You know why this offense sucks? CAUSE WE HAVE NO ******* LINE! Stewart would do nothing for us if he is running behind the same suckass line.

                      ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                        with how many needs we have, don't you realize how idiotic and stupid it would be to go with Stewart in the first!?!?! You know why this offense sucks? CAUSE WE HAVE NO ******* LINE! Stewart would do nothing for us if he is running behind the same suckass line.
                        There are free-agents we can get and its not like we can't draft an O-Lineman in the 2nd. I never said O-Line was a problem (i've said this several times) and its not like if we don't go O-Line in the first there is no hope for getting one any other rnd or rnds in the draft. Think outside the 1st round here. The 1st rnd selection isn't the end all for offensive line. Only an idiot wouldn't believe that Fred Miller and Ruben Brown should get their pink slips this year and Terance Metcalf go back to his usual position on the bench or practice squad. Guard and Tackle are major needs. Both don't have to come out of the draft though. (i'd like to see at least one out of the top 3 rnds)

                        Comment


                        • Have you not seen how much $$$ decent offensive linemen are getting in free agency? If we had money to spare, sure, that'd be fine. But this offseason we have to resign Briggs and Berrian before anything else. As well as that, we have to save up and sign Harris to an extension. There is only so much we can spend.

                          ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

                          Comment


                          • Agreed. Runningback in the 1st round is out of the question. Plain and simple.


                            Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                            Comment


                            • you give Benson an OLine, you might not be calling him a piece of garbage...

                              ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                                Have you not seen how much $$$ decent offensive linemen are getting in free agency? If we had money to spare, sure, that'd be fine. But this offseason we have to resign Briggs and Berrian before anything else. As well as that, we have to save up and sign Harris to an extension. There is only so much we can spend.
                                Fred Miller
                                Ruben Brown
                                Muhsin Muhammad
                                Adam Archuleta
                                Darwin Walker
                                (Griese or Grossman)

                                I'm sure if we can ease our cap by cutting or trading these guys I'm sure there is some way, somehow we can eliminate excess $$ into players that are going to benefit us from today moving forward. Again I don't think that if we don't draft a 1st rnd O-Lineman (which I've continually stated over and over again Angelo simply evades) we've ruined our future hopes. Do I want to see us get a top tier O-Lineman...only an idiot would say no. Do I think we can get one in the 2nd..most definatelly. whether u want to admit it or not we could have a good O-Line and still be trash. QB, O-Line, Safety, and RB will be top needs. I really don't care what the order is but it needs to be a top priority. My preference would be acquiring a top tier Guard or Tackle via FA and getting the other in the top 3 rnds. Safety we could address in the top 3 but Angelo is fairly good at selecting one in the later rnds.

                                If it were a perfect world I'd say

                                O-Lineman: Draft in the top 3 and grab top tier FA
                                RB: Draft in the top 3
                                QB: Either draft in the top 3 or grab some top tier FA (Derek Anderson for example)
                                Safety: FA or draft in the mid later tier (hoping Angelo can get some steals)
                                DT: Draft later rnd for depth
                                CB: Draft later rnd for depth
                                WR: Draft later rnd for depth

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information