X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Renji View Post
    Bears Swept the Packers :D
    Injury nagged Bears still > Packers :P
    If there is one thing to be happy about this year I'd definatelly say owning the Packers it one of them. This put a smile on my face.

Now for the rebuilding process of all these voids on offense/defense. We have a load of upgrading to do.

Comment

• Outside of Safety I don't think we could really upgrade our Defense other then adding depth. We need to focus on the O. especially the line

Comment

• Originally posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
        If there is one thing to be happy about this year I'd definatelly say owning the Packers it one of them. This put a smile on my face.

Now for the rebuilding process of all these voids on offense/defense. We have a load of upgrading to do.
        After we didnt make the Playoffs, this was one thing I was looking forward to. Hell either the SuperBowl or beat the Packers twice while we have a loosing Record and cost them their homefield :P

I love ST...i just Love em. Another TD for the ST, thats 6 TDs this year again

Comment

Bears Swept the Packers :D
          Injury nagged Bears still > Packers :P
          Well yall beat us fair and square, but we're the ones in the playoffs

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

• I really couldn't care less if we beat the packers twice or not, I'm happy to see us clicking on all aspects in this game. Orton looked solid and our D looked good. I just hope we can have a good offseason and have a comeback year and make a run at the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by neko4 View Post
              Well yall beat us fair and square, but we're the ones in the playoffs
              Yes, but the loss, coupled with the Cowboys beating the Panthers last night, means you guys have to go to Dallas in the very likely event that both teams get to the NFC Championship. And need I remind you that on the left side of Favre's record in Dallas is a big fat donut?

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.

Comment

• Thank you guys so much for beating the Packers. That is all.

Comment

• So anyone want to play armchair GM and suggest what we need to do this offseason? I would start it off, but I don't know much about the draft prospects outside of what has been said on these boards.

Comment

• Anderson is on IR now...I think there is an injury problem this year

Comment

Anderson is on IR now...I think there is an injury problem this year
                      I saw on ESPN that he was out this Sunday but wondered if they would put him on injured reserve or the inactive 8, both being an option heading into the season closer. I later found on chicagobears.com that they placed him on IR.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.

Comment

• Originally posted by k0ng View Post
                        So anyone want to play armchair GM and suggest what we need to do this offseason? I would start it off, but I don't know much about the draft prospects outside of what has been said on these boards.
                        Where we're slated isn't a great position, as we are waiting to see how the board falls. As much as safety is discussed, I tend to think that is a longshot, and that OT/QB will be the considerations.

That said, first thing we need to do is figure out our QB next year, let alone the long run. I think resigning Rex for say, 2 years makes the most sense, assuming he wants back. If he doesn't, I'd go with Griese/Orton as stopgaps rather than spend heavily on someone. But my guess is that if Rex leaves, we'll pursue a veteran, probably McNabb first. The cost may be prohibitive in that regards, particularly for a GM that values his picks. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Orton and cut Griese.

One of the bigger decisions will be whether or not we keep Benson. As much as I am lukewarm on him, keeping him seems the best route to go as we can't be guaranteed of signing anyone. I'd try for Turner or Fargas to compete with Benson. A tough decision may lie with carrying 3 or 4 RB's, as I expect to add one, whether it be through FA or draft, and that means Peterson/Wolfe would still be around. McKie is fine at FB. Polite/Runnels can battle it out for the backup FB spot. Um, Jermaine Allen. I think he can be practice squaded again, so sure, if they like something about him, I'm fine with that. PJ Pope, um, he can go. Not sure if he's practice squad eligible anymore in 08-09.

At TE, I'd really shop Clark. Olsen needs PT, and we need assets. Not sure Clark can bring in much, but if he could get a 4th rounder, I'd strongly consider it. I think others would disagree, though. Gilmore is a solid depth asset, nothing special, but can play a role. I'm curious on the staff's perspective on Fontel Mines. He's really bulked up from his UVA days, and if his speed is decent, that's a nice developmental target. That said, Mines can probably be practice squaded and be safe there. TE isn't a huge need. If we keep Clark, that's a wrap. If not, maybe a veteran or a day 2 pick (more likely veteran).

At WR, I think we have to keep Berrian, although rumors seem to be iffy on that. I'd let Muhammad go if the cap numbers worked out. If not, keep him. Hester needs more developmental time at WR. If we keep both Berrian/Muhammad around, wouldn't be surprised if Bradley is a casualty. Hass can be kept around for depth, or let go. Not sure I care too much either way. Rashied Davis is a nice slot guy, but I could see him being gone as we probably want to add one WR this year.

On the OL, Miller/Brown should be gone. I'd move Tait to RT and draft a LT, but I could see us draft a RT if the guy is viewed as someone that can be a plus player right away. We need a 2nd OG, which might be through FA, but could be through the draft. I just am not sold we'd go with 2 rookies in the OL to start 08-09. I'd have Metcalf/Garza battle it out for the other spot. I'd actually have Beekman battle it out as well, but the staff seems lukewarm on that. Let's see ... Oakley - eh, been there done that. He's 26. Could still be a solid guard, but is he better than Metcalf/Beekman (if Garza wins the starting spot)? I'd be fine with him as the backup, but I could see us letting him go and bringing in someone else. Guess we keep Tyler Reed on the practice squad. Jones and Gibbons are a bit more iffy. Dunno how much more PS eligibility they have, and both some fringy shots to make the roster. Oh, St. Clair should be around as veteran depth. I mean, if we can find 2 starters, we have solid depth with St. Clair/Beekman/Metcalf potentially.

Defensively, we have some tough, tough decisions to make. Let's start at the relatively easier spots.

Safety - Let Brown/Archuleta go. If Brown is willing to sign a small deal, perhaps incentive laden, then bring him back as a potential possibility. McGowan/Manning will be back, but both safety spots need to be open for competition. Kevin Payne/Leonard Peters/Josh Gattis can all be brought back to compete and fill depth spots. We need to at least draft 1 guy, and I'd guess we'd lean more towards SS than FS (obviously, an all-around guy would be ideal).

CB - The Ricky Manning question. I like him, but it's awfully hard to justify keeping him around if the staff feels McBride/Graham can be alright as depth. Obviously, Vasher/Tillman will be back. If they like Greg Fassitt, keep him around on the PS. If not, no loss. Enough youth on hand. While we could draft another CB, I'd rather see a veteran depth guy if McBride/Graham are sticking, and Ade Jimoh could be that guy. I'd be fine with a depth chart of McBride (nickel), Jimoh (dime), Graham (developmental guy on regular roster/ST).

LB - Let Briggs go. Just too many needs, and I don't like tying up that much with the LB's. Slide Urlacher to WLB if they feel it's best, and put Williams in at MIKE. Hillenmeyer is a solid SAM Backer. Okwo can be the top backup. That's our top 4. Ayanbadejo will likely be back for ST purposes, although honestly, I'm not a big fan of a guy taking up a spot as basically a pure ST guy. I don't see the need of keeping McClover/Roach/Wilson around, although I could see one, if not 2, stay. I'd rather just draft a day 2 guy and stick them in. Maybe keep Wilson (who they seem to like for depth purposes) and have a kid step in? Maybe they like Roach. If so, he could be the "kid". I have no strong feelings on him.

DE - This is a tough one. Unless he would cause problems, I'd like to keep Alex Brown around. He's been too good. I'd really like to open up competition between Alex and Mark again. That being said, with Dan Bazuin from last year, I really don't see that happening. Brown likely gets moved, which is a shame, I think. Chris Frome is eh, if they want him around on the PS, fine, but he shouldn't be on the regular roster. I wouldn't mind adding a young end on day 2 with pass rushing potential, if one is there, to mold.

DT - Harris is a certainty. Dvoracek seems to get the coaches excited, and Adams played well, so that'd be my top 3. Idonije would be kept as a swing guy. Time to move on from Garay, IMO, unless they think he can break through big. No need, better off developing a kid. Let Darwin Walker go. Now, three other guys around - Matt Toeaina, Jimmy Kennedy, Babatunde Oshinowo. My guess is Toeaina's been impressive enough to keep around. Let Kennedy go. See if Babatunde Oshinowo will stay, perhaps as a PS guy (still has eligibility I think). Big, young body with some athleticism? I'd try to keep him around.

LS - It's Mannelly's job until he calls it quits/leaves in all likelihood. Once you have a good one, you tend to keep him.

Draft wise, as noted, I think OT/QB are the favorites in round 1. As much as I don't like it, I think the top targets would be Long/Brohm (in that order). If neither are around, I could see us trying to slide down if possible, easier said than done. I think Otah would be 3rd, though, as someone to potentially plug in at RT. The way the order is shaking out, though, the potential exists for someone to have fallen a bit to encourage a team to deal up.

Whatever we don't do in round 1 (OT or QB) should be the priority in round 2, unless the value is too good. If we go OT in round 1, I think an upside QB would get the nod. If we go QB in round 1, I think we'd go for an OT that can step in right away at RT (if Cherilus is there, he makes sense). Just to be clear, this isn't what I want, but what I think would happen.

In the 3rd, I'd look to land a safety. The 2nd pick is flexible, depending on what we do in FA. Could be a WR, could be a RB, could be OL. BPA is perfectly fine.

Later on, we could look at DL to develop, and maybe a LB for depth. Another safety wouldn't be bad, along with OL talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                          LB - Let Briggs go. Just too many needs, and I don't like tying up that much with the LB's. Slide Urlacher to WLB if they feel it's best, and put Williams in at MIKE. Hillenmeyer is a solid SAM Backer. Okwo can be the top backup. That's our top 4. Ayanbadejo will likely be back for ST purposes, although honestly, I'm not a big fan of a guy taking up a spot as basically a pure ST guy. I don't see the need of keeping McClover/Roach/Wilson around, although I could see one, if not 2, stay. I'd rather just draft a day 2 guy and stick them in. Maybe keep Wilson (who they seem to like for depth purposes) and have a kid step in? Maybe they like Roach. If so, he could be the "kid". I have no strong feelings on him.
                          I think Briggs is worth the money to stay, but I can see why we let him go... if we're lucky maybe he doesn't reach 75% of his snaps and we can franchise him and trade him. Ayanbadejo is arguably the best special teams player in the nfl who doesn't return kicks or kicks the ball, I got no problem with him staying. Roach has also played extremely well on special teams and since McClover is a FA next year, I can see Roach staying in his place... Now, why would we move Urlacher to WILL and move someone like Jamar Williams, who lacks in coverage, to SAM? Yeah, I know Urlacher isn't like he used to be, but he is still one of the best MIKE's in all of football.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

• Actually, I was saying Urlacher to weakside with Jamar Williams at MIKE, which was a suggestion made in an article somewhere in an attempt to keep Urlacher healthier.

Comment

• This would still make the football team worse than it is. I mean Jamar Williams will certainly not be a Urlacher and why would the Will get less Reps and make him healthier??

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                                Actually, I was saying Urlacher to weakside with Jamar Williams at MIKE, which was a suggestion made in an article somewhere in an attempt to keep Urlacher healthier.
                                I don't see this happening for the same reason the we didn't want to start Ricky manning jr., we would have to change to players natural positions to fill one need.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information