Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bears looking at Michael Turner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bears looking at Michael Turner

    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ears-headlines

    i guess its no surprise. plus, id prefer Turner to spending a high draft pick on another rookie the year after drafting Wolfe in the 3rd and a few years after drafting Benson 4th overall.

    my question is how does he fit into the roster if he actually gets signed? Like i said, theres no way Benson or Wolfe get cut with recent investments made into them and i think the other AP is way too much of a special teams beast to cast off...

  • #2
    Just playing around with the numbers for a second.

    Let's assume Burner Turner can get more than Ahman Green or Dominic Rhodes. Too lazy to work out a specific contract to estimate by, but I think Green cost 4.25 million to the Texans cap this year (1.5 roster, 1.5 base, 1.25 of the signing bonus, so let's guess that Turner takes up, say, 5 million of our cap. We can probably still sign a top OT and leave us with around 8-10 million for this upcoming season.

    If we can net a Burner Turner and a Max Starks, that would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I'd be all for that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
      Just playing around with the numbers for a second.

      Let's assume Burner Turner can get more than Ahman Green or Dominic Rhodes. Too lazy to work out a specific contract to estimate by, but I think Green cost 4.25 million to the Texans cap this year (1.5 roster, 1.5 base, 1.25 of the signing bonus, so let's guess that Turner takes up, say, 5 million of our cap. We can probably still sign a top OT and leave us with around 8-10 million for this upcoming season.

      If we can net a Burner Turner and a Max Starks, that would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I'd be all for that.
      oh hell, id be happy even just getting starks at RT. like i said, id prefer turner to drafting another RB high too.

      if they both get signed, wow...we could go in any number of directions. maybe if one of the WR's really stands out leading up to the draft, we could go that way. Theres no really elite WR's and i think most of the teams ahead of us wouldn't be looking that way...we could have the pick of the litter.

      QB is always a possibility too....or maybe a S or DT

      Comment


      • #4
        i kinda like what he did yesterday..then again the SD Oline is incredible

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Renji View Post
          i kinda like what he did yesterday..then again the SD Oline is incredible
          theyre good, i wont argue that, but i think something like them could be assembled easily here to run behind.

          McNeil was a 2nd round pick, Deilman was undrafted, Hardwick was a 3rd rounder, goff was a FA from cincy, and Clary was a 6th rounder...nothing overly hard to come by

          i think one could be rebuilt out of what the bears have right now. tait and kreutz can stay. bring in a FA RT like starks or draft one high like Otah and add in some new guards or rearrange the ones already there, it can be done reasonably well i think.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sure it could be assembled, im just saying i wont put too much hope into turner. Although that guy could be having the same role like Jones.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
              Just playing around with the numbers for a second.

              Let's assume Burner Turner can get more than Ahman Green or Dominic Rhodes. Too lazy to work out a specific contract to estimate by, but I think Green cost 4.25 million to the Texans cap this year (1.5 roster, 1.5 base, 1.25 of the signing bonus, so let's guess that Turner takes up, say, 5 million of our cap. We can probably still sign a top OT and leave us with around 8-10 million for this upcoming season.

              If we can net a Burner Turner and a Max Starks, that would give us a lot more flexibility in the draft. I'd be all for that.
              I'd agree. Even if it were Derrick Ward who plays hard and we could probably get even cheaper than Turner. As I'd prefer taking one of the homerun threats in the draft I wouldn't be the slightest upset at getting Turner. Personally I think we should get Starks, a DT for competition (Corey Williams)just incase Dvoracek gets injured a 3rd season (and let Walkers *** go), and possibly look at a QB. Heck if we can get a FA Guard for depth that would also be great. This way we can address Safety(2 of them), RB (if needed), WR (only if Berrian leaves), OG/OT for depth (a definate need), OLB (face it we will need help here), and CB (depth)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                oh hell, id be happy even just getting starks at RT. like i said, id prefer turner to drafting another RB high too.

                if they both get signed, wow...we could go in any number of directions. maybe if one of the WR's really stands out leading up to the draft, we could go that way. Theres no really elite WR's and i think most of the teams ahead of us wouldn't be looking that way...we could have the pick of the litter.

                QB is always a possibility too....or maybe a S or DT
                Getting a 1st rnd receiver in this years draft would be the worst. I'd wait until the 2nd and look for a guy like DJ Hall. There are no standout WR's this year and definatelly noone worth spending a 1st rnder on. If we got both of those guys I'd really like to see QB, the Line, Safety, or even another OLB if Briggs can't be signed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  if we somehow got both Turner and Starks, Angelo would do what he knows best...trade down. Hopefully to the late first where all of the top-end talents really starts to drain away and pick som1 like Hardy/Bowman or Chris Williams/Otah...or now that Oher declared draft him as i believe i read he could play inside for a bit before sliding out. At this point our team is looking really good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DaBear89 View Post
                    if we somehow got both Turner and Starks, Angelo would do what he knows best...trade down. Hopefully to the late first where all of the top-end talents really starts to drain away and pick som1 like Hardy/Bowman or Chris Williams/Otah...or now that Oher declared draft him as i believe i read he could play inside for a bit before sliding out. At this point our team is looking really good.
                    trading down would be fantastic. pick up a late 20's first rounder and another 2nd or so.....that would be nice

                    maybe if we traded down like that, and signed starks, we could go with the top guard of the draft. i certainly wouldnt complain about that and since guards rarely go before the 20's, we could probably have whoever we wanted.

                    and with 2 seconds....hmm.....go QB with one and WR with the other. and with 2 thirds..S and DT?

                    id be thrilled with a draft like that

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DaBear89 View Post
                      if we somehow got both Turner and Starks, Angelo would do what he knows best...trade down. Hopefully to the late first where all of the top-end talents really starts to drain away and pick som1 like Hardy/Bowman or Chris Williams/Otah...or now that Oher declared draft him as i believe i read he could play inside for a bit before sliding out. At this point our team is looking really good.
                      Haha...we haven't done anything yet.


                      Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I love it.

                        Just saying.

                        Trade Down to the top of the second round really. The first round isn't that important. Talent will be found that we want at the guards and safeties role in the forties. and god. i bet there's quite a few teams well ahead of us that'd like to pick up a mid round slot. meaning i like the chances better to trade to who's worse than us than trade to those below us. meaning. trade #14 to the chiefs so they can pick up a rb. another lineman. someone. (i could also say the same about the rams or dolphins.)

                        so. give up our first. get another second this year. and another second next year (depending on the team. or a third round pick. or maybe a trade).

                        i'd say that's a decent strategy for moving down eh?
                        now. as far as turner and starks. i'd be happy as a clam. i think we can pull it off too.
                        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

                        United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          Haha...we haven't done anything yet.
                          i meant we'd look good at that point.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                            I love it.

                            Just saying.

                            Trade Down to the top of the second round really. The first round isn't that important. Talent will be found that we want at the guards and safeties role in the forties. and god. i bet there's quite a few teams well ahead of us that'd like to pick up a mid round slot. meaning i like the chances better to trade to who's worse than us than trade to those below us. meaning. trade #14 to the chiefs so they can pick up a rb. another lineman. someone. (i could also say the same about the rams or dolphins.)

                            so. give up our first. get another second this year. and another second next year (depending on the team. or a third round pick. or maybe a trade).

                            i'd say that's a decent strategy for moving down eh?
                            now. as far as turner and starks. i'd be happy as a clam. i think we can pull it off too.
                            well, continuing with the realism theme, while they may be looking at turner, no word yet on whether or not starks peaks anyones interest in the front office.

                            so if its turner but no starks, i say stay right where we are and take the best available tackle. maybe trade down a few but not out of the first round if tackle is still a need....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't like Turner as the feature back and I still think Benson can be that guy, but I'd really like a 2 back running game where we focus on grinding it out, and getting Turner would provide us with a 2-back system once again.

                              Also, I notice Leonard Weaver is a RFA... depending on what type of tender the Seahawks give him (unless it is the highest, they can't get any draft picks since he was a UDFA), I'd really like to see him brought in. He is a great blocker and can run with the ball...

                              ^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information