X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael "Burner" Turner

Falcons | Turner agrees to six-year contract
    Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:51:57 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent RB Michael Turner (Chargers) has agreed to a six-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons. The deal includes $15 million of guaranteed money and is expected to be worth over $34 million in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another possibility down the tube. It's looking more and more likely a draftee will be in Chicago. Boy do we love to blow good opportunities.

We didn't blow that at all. The Falcons gave more money to Turner, who has yet to even prove himself as a starter, than we gave to Lance Briggs, a multiple time pro-bowler in his prime.

Think about that, get some perspective, and back up off the ledge.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Well i dont think we wouldve payed Turner #1 Money anyways with benson still on the roster

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        We didn't blow that at all. The Falcons gave more money to Turner, who has yet to even prove himself as a starter, than we gave to Lance Briggs, a multiple time pro-bowler in his prime.

Think about that, get some perspective, and back up off the ledge.
        Using Briggs as perspective isn't the best idea. I don't necessarily disagree with the base fact that Turner was overpaid, but that's the RB position. At RB, it's always been about potential due to the rapid wear and tear. Comparatively, as much as the LB position has grown over, say, the past decade or so in importance, it's still a position where teams feel they can find a player.

The reason I'd agree with pelle on this one is simple. Which RB in the 2nd tier is going to really push Benson? Sure, the top 3 RB's could push Benson, but the chances seem iffy of us taking a top 3 RB right now. So, who out of that 2nd tier pushes? Jamaal Charles' inconsistency? Ray Rice's lack of size? I could see a guy like Forte pushing, so that's a possibility, but with the dearth of big backs, there's going to be some teams going after him. Wouldn't surprise me if Forte lasted until day 2 that some teams push up in the 3rd.

For me, it isn't an issue of what Turner is or is not, but rather, who can be a legitimate challenger. I don't want a guy that's the number 2 to complement Benson with an outside shot of challenging for the lead role. I have a bad feeling that we might be looking at, say, a Mike Hart in day 2. If we find one, a legitimate challenger, then sure, I'd rather go that route.

The worst part is ... with all our money, what are we doing? Saving it for the non-existent interest? Granted, that's a whole separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
          Using Briggs as perspective isn't the best idea. I don't necessarily disagree with the base fact that Turner was overpaid, but that's the RB position. At RB, it's always been about potential due to the rapid wear and tear. Comparatively, as much as the LB position has grown over, say, the past decade or so in importance, it's still a position where teams feel they can find a player.

The reason I'd agree with pelle on this one is simple. Which RB in the 2nd tier is going to really push Benson? Sure, the top 3 RB's could push Benson, but the chances seem iffy of us taking a top 3 RB right now. So, who out of that 2nd tier pushes? Jamaal Charles' inconsistency? Ray Rice's lack of size? I could see a guy like Forte pushing, so that's a possibility, but with the dearth of big backs, there's going to be some teams going after him. Wouldn't surprise me if Forte lasted until day 2 that some teams push up in the 3rd.

For me, it isn't an issue of what Turner is or is not, but rather, who can be a legitimate challenger. I don't want a guy that's the number 2 to complement Benson with an outside shot of challenging for the lead role. I have a bad feeling that we might be looking at, say, a Mike Hart in day 2. If we find one, a legitimate challenger, then sure, I'd rather go that route.

The worst part is ... with all our money, what are we doing? Saving it for the non-existent interest? Granted, that's a whole separate issue.
          agreed with pretty much everything here. and the briggs comparison was a bad one...yeah we payed it to him, but that didnt really help us with our need at RB now did it?

as for the RBs you mentioned, i think charles could do it. he seems like he would be a good one cut runner for when we break out 2 TEs (which i hope to god we do and do often) and forte i think is a very well rounded back.

the problem is that anyone we take after about round 2 just doesnt have a significant enough investment in to take the job away from benson.

i mean, we could find an ahmad bradshaw type in the 7th round who blows us the hell away with his ability, but becaues benson was a 4th overall pick with a lot of time and money in, theres no way someone drafted that late takes the job away.

its ******, but thats how it works im afraid.....it would take a reincarnation of walter f-wording payton to knock benson off legitimately im afraid.

so thats why i contend that we go o-line and beef that up so if we're stuck with benson, we at least give him the best situation possible to suck in

Comment

No need to debate with this guy toons. He's so full of himself it hurts. Anyone who has a difference in opinion he nearly has a heart-attack. This is nearly the same amount we offered Cedric Benson, a runningback who didn't prove ANYTHING in the pro's. I don't see why we wouldn't pay the same for someone who has actually done something. He's only 26yrs old with very little mileage.

I've been an advocate for Jonathan Stewart and Rashard Mendenhall ever since the season began so I don't know what all the hostility is for. If anything this is showing more and more we may end up having no choice but to settle on one of these bruisers in the draft to create good competition for Benson. I do know this..if we do draft a Mendenhall or Stewart they will make a bundle of money with no Pro experience. I'm fine with either but Turner would have been a good option so we could free up the draft to go after more need positions. (offensive-line, now wide receiver, depth at dt, and a qb ala Flacco, Henne)

Someone keep this guy from the anti-depressants before he loses himself on this board. Its simply not that serious. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              agreed with pretty much everything here. and the briggs comparison was a bad one...yeah we payed it to him, but that didnt really help us with our need at RB now did it?

as for the RBs you mentioned, i think charles could do it. he seems like he would be a good one cut runner for when we break out 2 TEs (which i hope to god we do and do often) and forte i think is a very well rounded back.

the problem is that anyone we take after about round 2 just doesnt have a significant enough investment in to take the job away from benson.

i mean, we could find an ahmad bradshaw type in the 7th round who blows us the hell away with his ability, but becaues benson was a 4th overall pick with a lot of time and money in, theres no way someone drafted that late takes the job away.

its ******, but thats how it works im afraid.....it would take a reincarnation of walter f-wording payton to knock benson off legitimately im afraid.

so thats why i contend that we go o-line and beef that up so if we're stuck with benson, we at least give him the best situation possible to suck in
              I hope this is not the case but what do we do..im simply not going to be Jerry Angelo's "fruit of the looms" ahem. He's dragging feet as usual and needs to learn from past mistakes that we're not as good as they've thought. This arrogance has gotten us into a lot of problems. They need to be more aggressive in bringing in help. We're simply not that good. I'm really hoping ur right Beer and toons. This is really getting bad Angelo hasn't made any real effort to show interest in ANY players. I agree we need to keep our own but there's more to it than that. Even with our current players we need ADDITIONAL help. Does Angelo realize this yet?
              Last edited by pellepelle_10; 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

It's a comparison between making logical choices and splurging in the market out of impulse and fear. Signing Michael Turner wouldn't push Benson, it would make Benson obsolete. Now, you could make the case that is a good thing, but you simply cannot tie up that much money into the runningback position. It affects our ability to resign Tommie, Devin, etc. By comparison, Marshawn Lynch was the 12th pick and he signed a 6 year-18 million dollar deal. Even I'm not sure we could budget that in the runningback position, but it's at least reasonable.

Also, you've got to think about the parameters of what we're talking about financially here. Did anyone actually think we were going to spend that 30 million in cap room? Just because the money is there metaphysically doesn't mean we're going to spend it. The Bears are primarily owned by a family. An incredibly rich family I'll grant you, but it's not like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones where they can blow 40-50 million and not bat an eye. I'm sure that Angelo is given a budget by Ted Phillips that is quite different than what the salary cap looks like. That might not be a fun thing to think about as a fan, but it's the reality of being a fan of the Bears, always has been.
                Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-02-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
                  I hope this is not the case but what do we do..im simply not going to be Jerry Angelo's "fruit of the looms" ahem. He's dragging feet as usual and needs to learn from past mistakes that we're not as good as they've thought. This arrogance has gotten us into a lot of problems. They need to be more aggressive in bringing in help. We're simply not that good. I'm really hoping ur right Beer and toons. This is really getting bad Angelo hasn't made any real effort to show interest in ANY players. I agree we need to keep our own but there's more to it than that. Even with our current players we need ADDITIONAL help. Does Angelo realize this yet?
                  If you want a team that spends a lot of money in the market there are a lot of teams out there. You live in Seattle no? I suggest the Seahawks. I mean honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick here (though your above comments were kind of cute), but if you're going to whine everytime we don't sign someone I would suggest a different team.

Comment

By the way, I don't think anyone would argue that the contract we gave to Benson isn't terrible. I just looked it up and it made me cringe (5 years-35 million, 17 million in guarantees). But like I said before, that was the absolute worst draft to have a top 5 pick in. Most Bears fans wanted Mike Williams (which would have been even worse), as I recall Toonster wanted Cadillac Williams, and I personally wanted to trade up for Edwards (though obviously have no idea if that was ever a possibility).

Either way, that has definately ****** up our franchise, but short of passing on the pick altogether there weren't really any better options.

Comment

Just to be clear, my mantra was

ABC - Anybody but Cedric

My preference was Braylon, but if you remember the dynamics then, that was fairly unlikely even if he had been available and the news reports indicated all along that our focus was RB. Out of the RB's that were going to be there, I preferred to go Caddy over Cedric (as Ronnie was a certainty to be gone).

Comment

Speaking of Benson and obsolete, I wonder if that surgery will make him close to it. I mean ... the idea of Benson losing a step, as the Chicago Sun-Times article hinted at, is scary in it's own right.

Btw, I've got the outlines to a new mock going, with 13 picks in the bank (well, more have been sketched out). Won't be done for at least a week, as I've got a lot of stuff this week.

1. Miami Dolphins – QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
                        2. St. Louis Rams – DE/OLB Chris Long, Virginia
                        3. Atlanta Falcons – DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
                        4. Oakland Raiders – OT Jake Long, Michigan
                        5. Kansas City Chiefs – OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
                        6. New York Jets – OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State
                        7. Dallas Cowboys f/ San Francisco 49ers via New England Patriots – RB Darren McFadden
                        8. New Orleans Saints f/ Baltimore Ravens – DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
                        9. Cincinnati Bengals – OLB/DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
                        10. Baltimore Ravens f/ New Orleans Saints – CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
                        11. Buffalo Bills – DE Quentin Groves, Auburn
                        12. Denver Broncos – OT Ryan Clady, Boise State
                        13. Carolina Panthers – OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

I think most expectations would be Mendenhall if the draft fell this way, but I figured I'd put it out there and get some reactions. (14-26 loosely look like

14. Chicago Bears – RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
                        15. Detroit Lions – RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
                        16. Arizona Cardinals – CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida
                        17. Minnesota Vikings – DL Phillip Merling, Clemson
                        18. Houston Texans – LB Keith Rivers, USC
                        19. Philadelphia Eagles – S Kenny Phillips, the U
                        20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Aqib Talib, Kansas
                        21. Washington Redskins – CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
                        22. New England Patriots f/ Cleveland Browns via Dallas Cowboys – OLB Cliff Avril, Purdue
                        23. Pittsburgh Steelers – WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
                        24. Tennessee Titans – WR Limas Sweed, Texas
                        25. Seattle Seahawks – WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State
                        26. Jacksonville Jaguars – OG Branden Albert, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          By the way, I don't think anyone would argue that the contract we gave to Benson isn't terrible. I just looked it up and it made me cringe (5 years-35 million, 17 million in guarantees). But like I said before, that was the absolute worst draft to have a top 5 pick in. Most Bears fans wanted Mike Williams (which would have been even worse), as I recall Toonster wanted Cadillac Williams, and I personally wanted to trade up for Edwards (though obviously have no idea if that was ever a possibility).

Either way, that has definately ****** up our franchise, but short of passing on the pick altogether there weren't really any better options.
                          The contract isn't terrible. He made 2 mill a year based on his lack of incentives.

As far as Turner... All the experience, none of the loss of tread. What? 250 carries over 4 years? Potential. Upside. Power. Finesse. We could have paid turner the money, and benson would have only cost us 1.8 mil (his 850 yard bonus is huge though) To keep benson at 850 yards wouldn't have been hard, and if benson did happen to make 900 yards, it means, he'd probably be worth the money.
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

That is correct. Benson hasn't hit all his incentives, so his contract cost is actually much better. It's funny how one of his incentives is at 701 yards, and he hasn't hit it yet. I mean, NLTBE incentives are often a joke, but well, in this case, it's turned out true. He's getting there, though. 647, 674. Maybe 690 next year. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but the whole Sun-Times blurb about Benson potentially being a step slower has to scare the heck out of a Bears fan. I thought he was a slightly better A-Train when we drafted him, but it's scary to think that A-Train at the same age might've been faster.

Scary to think about the Michigan twosome being so long ago. Felt like yesterday. When we drafted Terrell in 2001, that was the first time I came on nfldc i think.

Comment

That is correct. Benson hasn't hit all his incentives, so his contract cost is actually much better. It's funny how one of his incentives is at 701 yards, and he hasn't hit it yet. I mean, NLTBE incentives are often a joke, but well, in this case, it's turned out true. He's getting there, though. 647, 674. Maybe 690 next year. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but the whole Sun-Times blurb about Benson potentially being a step slower has to scare the heck out of a Bears fan. I thought he was a slightly better A-Train when we drafted him, but it's scary to think that A-Train at the same age might've been faster.

Scary to think about the Michigan twosome being so long ago. Felt like yesterday. When we drafted Terrell in 2001, that was the first time I came on nfldc i think.
                              nuts. 701. not 850.

I read that today and freaked out. I really think i can outrun benson now from the way mulligan wrote it. a 6.2 40
                              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information