No announcement yet.

2009 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, PMD needs to go away in that other thread....he's starting to annoy me.

Maclin is basically taking what we have plus a little more talent. I'd much rather have a bigger, truer potential #1 threat like a Crabtree (dream on) or DHB, and then only if the top pass rushers are all gone.

Before this year, we had a big possession receiver in Muhammad who worked well enough for what he was, but he was making #1 receiver money for being our #2 guy, so we let him go and simply didn't find anyone worth replacing him as a big target. Olsen has been that to some extent this year splitting out wide and as a red zone target, but even though he's certainly athletic for a TE and has been doing well, I'd still like to have that 'thick' receiver who would bring more agility than Olsen could to the position.

It'd be real nice to have a guy other than Olsen on this team who can start out wide, slash across the middle of the field and risk taking a big hit while still hauling in the pass. Currently, I wouldn't really like seeing anyone on our team right now pull something like that.....our receivers are little and thin and would probably get busted in half.

It's a dimension we lack and if we would pursue a WR in FA or the draft, I'd want it to be someone big who can bring that. It'd be some sweet **** if there were a Dwayne Bowe in this draft....but alas.

I don't think the Bengals are going to let TJ go, but I wouldn't even mind him too much. He plays tougher and bigger than he is (6'1 199) in what I've seen of him.

Comment

• The only receiver that I can think of that would fit is Kenny Britt. I don't think that there will be much at wide receiver for free agency. I think that we can solve corner back depth in free agency. I would also like to see them improve at backup running back. The rest of it will probably come down to the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
        The only receiver that I can think of that would fit is Kenny Britt.
        This is the guy that keeps popping into my head as to who I want other than Crabtree and DHB. Unfortunately, this team has enough needs that we're really not going to be able to spend the second rounder he'd cost.

We can't go without an impact pass rusher. Just can't do it. Can't keep trotting the same ole O-Line out there, either. Otherwise, Orton's going to end up like Theisman and Forte's going to end up like Holmes.

We all wish that we'd sign Whosyourmomma, Peppers, or Suggs, but deep down, we all know that we won't even try.

We need more draft picks. I really hate that feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          Dude, PMD needs to go away in that other thread....he's starting to annoy me.

Maclin is basically taking what we have plus a little more talent. I'd much rather have a bigger, truer potential #1 threat like a Crabtree (dream on) or DHB, and then only if the top pass rushers are all gone.

Before this year, we had a big possession receiver in Muhammad who worked well enough for what he was, but he was making #1 receiver money for being our #2 guy, so we let him go and simply didn't find anyone worth replacing him as a big target. Olsen has been that to some extent this year splitting out wide and as a red zone target, but even though he's certainly athletic for a TE and has been doing well, I'd still like to have that 'thick' receiver who would bring more agility than Olsen could to the position.

It'd be real nice to have a guy other than Olsen on this team who can start out wide, slash across the middle of the field and risk taking a big hit while still hauling in the pass. Currently, I wouldn't really like seeing anyone on our team right now pull something like that.....our receivers are little and thin and would probably get busted in half.

It's a dimension we lack and if we would pursue a WR in FA or the draft, I'd want it to be someone big who can bring that. It'd be some sweet **** if there were a Dwayne Bowe in this draft....but alas.

I don't think the Bengals are going to let TJ go, but I wouldn't even mind him too much. He plays tougher and bigger than he is (6'1 199) in what I've seen of him.
          People get amazed by Maclins 40 time and dont realize that it takes a lot more than that to me a WR. Maclin would be a idiot to come out as a soph. He'd be a Sidney Rice mid 2nd rounder imo if he came out. (early 2nd or top 10 to Oakland)

Comment

• Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
            The only receiver that I can think of that would fit is Kenny Britt. I don't think that there will be much at wide receiver for free agency. I think that we can solve corner back depth in free agency. I would also like to see them improve at backup running back. The rest of it will probably come down to the draft.
            Ya I agree CB, RB would be wise to address in FA. There's 3902822 RBs in FA every year and we should grab an over the hill vet. No need to waste a pick on a back up when we can have one for the vet min.

Comment

• James or Fred Taylor?

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                James or Fred Taylor?
                Whoever's cheaper. Id prefer Taylor. Edge will likely want a lot of reps.

Comment

• I think we tried the castoff vet with Kevin Jones and the results are him now being inactive for games...

Forte is a nice, versatile, patient runner who finds the holes and dashes through them. A good change up to that would be someone who just crashed into the line with everything they have trying to hurt people.....If our AP were 20 pounds heavier, he'd be perfect...but alas...

Comment

I think we tried the castoff vet with Kevin Jones and the results are him now being inactive for games...

Forte is a nice, versatile, patient runner who finds the holes and dashes through them. A good change up to that would be someone who just crashed into the line with everything they have trying to hurt people.....If our AP were 20 pounds heavier, he'd be perfect...but alas...
                    I think Forte is a complete back and any style of back would be a good complement. We dont really need another back unless they come very cheap. Id like to see OG, WR, maybe DE, FS if we dont have to break the bank.

Comment

I think we tried the castoff vet with Kevin Jones and the results are him now being inactive for games...

go sign Brandon Jacobs!

Comment

go sign Brandon Jacobs!
                        A.) I don't think the Giants are going to let him go

B.) Even if they did, he'd probably want to go be the sure starter somewhere and get paid accordingly. Two things I don't think we'd provide for him.

but....the Giants do have another guy who interests me who I believe is also going to be a FA, and that guy is Derrick Ward. He runs hard and isn't exactly small....

Comment

• its was a joke

Comment

its was a joke
                            I figured, but he would be the perfect back to fill the role I was describing up above as a smasher who tried to run people down. too bad we won't have a chance to nab him.

Comment

Leonard Weaver... guy's a beast.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
                                Leonard Weaver... guy's a beast.
                                I did see him do a good job blocking a few times in the Dallas game yesturday. (Prolly the only Seahawks doing a good job blocking.....)

And he'd be a nice FB if the staff decided to move on without McKie, but I think I'd still like a primary bruiser to compliment Forte if one could be had cheaply somehow....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information