Lance Briggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Briggs

Looks like Briggs is now formally demanding a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

This could play itself out on draft day, or it could be somewhat similar to Jones last offseason.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=2965

Just in case anyone wants to read what's already been said in the NFL forum.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

So under the franchise tag, what happens if Briggs plays and gets a career ending injury?

Comment

Originally posted by SFbear View Post
        So under the franchise tag, what happens if Briggs plays and gets a career ending injury?
        He gets his 7+ mil, but he might get screwed over during the following offseason.

Comment

I still say the Bears should front load Briggs' salary if they are planning on resigning him. If other teams really are backloading all of these contracts that the fa are getting, the players must know that there is not the best chances that they will see most of that money. So why wouldn't Briggs accept a deal thats front loaded (to clarify let his contract eat up most of our remaining cap space this season). Let him get his money when the Bears can afford to pay him that.

Comment

Originally posted by KBear View Post
            I still say the Bears should front load Briggs' salary if they are planning on resigning him. If other teams really are backloading all of these contracts that the fa are getting, the players must know that there is not the best chances that they will see most of that money. So why wouldn't Briggs accept a deal thats front loaded (to clarify let his contract eat up most of our remaining cap space this season). Let him get his money when the Bears can afford to pay him that.
            I don't know. After going public for his dislike of the Bears organization it would send the wrong message for future signings.

Right now I say trading him is the best option rather than resigning him or even letting him play out this year with the Franchise Tag, because resigning him now will hurt future dealings with other players looking for big pay day and letting him play on a Franchise Tag will cast a bad light on the Bears organization.

The Bears will probably have to settle for a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick next year.

Comment

Originally posted by KBear View Post
              You can only frontload a salary to a certain %. I believe that % mark is 8.

Comment

Do you think the saints or colts would give up there first? they need a LB, also what about the pats, briggs could play inside there

Comment

I'm fine with trading him, but we need to get value. I trust Angelo to not cave in. He never does.

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
                    Do you think the saints or colts would give up there first? they need a LB, also what about the pats, briggs could play inside there
                    Colts might. Don't think the Pats will though.

And I don't think the Bears will want to re-sign Briggs after the statement about the Bears organisation.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

This very well may be a strategic action by Briggs. He might be sitting at home thinking that he has the most powerful agent, a team with plenty of cap space, a great resume, and great timing. Therefore, he might be just trying to pressure the Bears into signing him long term. You must remember that the Bears and Briggs were in the same ball park before he was franchised. So he might be thinking that if he applies some pressure, then the deal will get done.

I'm not saying his actions are morally justifiable, but there is a level of logic to this train of thought.

Comment

I don't think there's any way the Patriots would trade a pick for Briggs... although they do have two first rounders... hmm... maybe they would. They just seem like a team that likes to keep their draft picks and develop talent.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
                          I don't think there's any way the Patriots would trade a pick for Briggs... although they do have two first rounders... hmm... maybe they would. They just seem like a team that likes to keep their draft picks and develop talent.
                          But they also like having Vet Linebackers to fill their starting spots.

Comment

There's nothing moral about this. Quite frankly I think Briggs is justified in his statements. He didn't insult anyone on the team or anyone on the coaching staff.

So he doesn't like his boss? Lots of people don't. That's the nature of life. I'm sure that it will have very little effect on contract negotiations quite frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by NYmoney View Post
                              You can only frontload a salary to a certain %. I believe that % mark is 8.
                              Its better then nothing. He is to young to really back load his contract then cut later, because he should still be good at that time. Maybe Vasher, Harris, etc.. willt take some back loaded contracts. If there is more money upfront, then he might take a lower $ over the long term vs if the Bears back load the contract.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information