No announcement yet.

2010 Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know our scheme commands production from the front four and everything. Itīs just that this year I feel the most important thing is to fix our secondary and the offensive line. We kind of already used a 2nd rounder on a defensive lineman, and I would have problems to justify using another early pick on a front four guy.

Comment

You might, but Lovie and Jerry won't. Our scheme doesn't command production from the front four, it requires it. It doesn't work without it. If the defensive line is hitting on all cylinders, it will cover sub par secondary play. That's just how our defense works. Fixing our defensive line will improve the secondary. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a safety or a corner, I'm just saying that if Julius Peppers is only pass rushing threat (and right now he is) it won't matter cause they'll get eaten alive anyway.

sig by VLS
      Originally posted by Smokey Joe
      I don't care...

Comment

I think itīs being very hard on the rest of our defensive line to say that Peppers is the only guy who can get to the QB. in 09 we ranked 13th in the NFL in sacks. Below were teams like the Colts, the Jets the Patriots and the Ravens while teams like the Browns and the Raiders had more sacks than we did.
        Ok, sack numbers donīt tell it all, cause a defense that can stay off the field will have less production, but at some point we need to leave it at where weīre at. Tommie Harris, Marcus Harrison, Julius Peppers and Alex Brown, with backups like Anthony Adams, Jarron Gilbert, Mark Anderson and Israel Idonije is a defensive line that I can live with. If we cannot get to the QB with those guys it wonīt help to bring in some 4th rounder to kick start the QB pressure. If you want some immediate impact you might do that in free agency, not in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

Given the current state of our coaching staff/front office thereīs no secret that theyīre pretty much on the hot seat, so if thereīs a top prospect falling into the second round I could see us trading a 2011 1st rounder to get that guy (pretty much like the Panthers did last year when they got Everette Brown), but that must mean someone like Jared Odrick falls

Comment

I think a guy that falls that could generate alot of interest from us in Arrelius Benn, the organization is in "save-face" mode, (in addition to "save-job" mode). Benn could slip as far the third. He's a big time receiver and him and Cutler could do damage.

Sacks by defensive lineman

Adewale Ogunleye-6.5
          Alex Brown-6
          Anderson-3.5
          Indonji-2.5
          Anthony Adams-2
          Tommie Harris-2.5
          Marcus Harrision-1.0

That's pretty poor, especially considering how often they were on the field. We can probably double Wale's number, with Peppers. But we need to get a push from the inside. Tommie is the only real 3 Technique we have, Gilbert and Melton are going to be worked at that spot, but we shouldn't be happy with just those guys at the key position in our defense.

sig by VLS
          I don't care...

Comment

We have been moving in the direction of blitzing packages the last couple of years already (pretty much like the rest of the league), which reflects in the fact that we donīt really have any sack artists, while we have plenty of players who have a sack or two (Al Afalava, Lance Briggs and Hunter Hillenmeyer all have two each). Even though our defense relies on pressure from the front four, packages, stunts and zone blitzes have become a more important part of what we do than it was during the heydays of the cover two, where we could pretty much depend on speed and athleticism all over.

Comment

We've been blitzing because we haven't gotten to the quarterback, which leaves our secondary exposed. For this defense to work we need to blitz less, and more effectively.

sig by VLS
              I don't care...

Comment

Just curious on what people think about WR - Marcus Easley as a late round selection for Chicago. The guy is extremely raw but has a lot of athletic abililty. Chicago is apparently interested in him and he's impressed a lot of scouts with his combine and pro-day results.

Comment

So who is everyones personal favorite in round 3?

Id probably say John Jerry because of his positional value but I have a few others very close.

Comment

Allen, Burnett, or Wright. I can see Allen going lower than projected because hes a steady prospect, not much 'wow' factor. And potential always goes before production. But yeah, one of those three and Id be shocked we made the right move.
                    I want a sig.

Comment

• I think we'll have to trade up if they want a safety that can start day 1. If we could back into the second without losing our 3rd we'd be in good shape.

If we stand pat I'd like Jon Asamoah or Amari Spievey

sig by VLS
                      I don't care...

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender View Post
                        Allen, Burnett, or Wright. I can see Allen going lower than projected because hes a steady prospect, not much 'wow' factor. And potential always goes before production. But yeah, one of those three and Id be shocked we made the right move.
                        I can't imagine Allen being there. Burnett could be. I'd take him. Wright I wouldn't use a 3rd on.

Comment

• Burnett would be a fantastic pick in the third.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• I have my doubts that any of the 3 will be available in the 3rd though. Most likely it'd be Wright if there was, but i like him significantly less than the other two.

Comment

• I was looking at some mocks and was trying to think who we'd take if we still had the 11th pick.

Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas would be likely I think, though I don't like Thomas as much as some others.

Iupati and Pouncey could be darkhorse picks....I've actually seen Pouncey actually go to Denver with that pick a few times.

But alas....we shall never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                                I was looking at some mocks and was trying to think who we'd take if we still had the 11th pick.

Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas would be likely I think, though I don't like Thomas as much as some others.

Iupati and Pouncey could be darkhorse picks....I've actually seen Pouncey actually go to Denver with that pick a few times.

But alas....we shall never know.
                                Dez Bryant by far.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information