Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'd be ok with that draft. Carimi's LT ability can be questioned, but he can probably upgrade Omiyele and would definitely fit at RT.

    I agree that Dalton is a good fit for Mike Martz. He's accurate too, which is another bonus in the Martz offense. There is definitely some young Marc Bulger in him, and anyone is better backing up Cutler than Todd F. Collins. (Take a guess what the F stands for.)

    Comment


    • I wouldn't mind a WR if the value is there, but those are our 3 biggest needs.

      As far as the positional outlook goes:

      QB - Pretty set here. I'd only take one if the value is there (51 mentioned Dalton)

      RB - Solid depth and with a competent OL Forte and Taylor would be quality backs with quality stats.

      WR - There is no true #1 receiver, but I'm a firm believer that if you shore up the OL this group would be fine. When Jay has had time they've been able to get open and make plays.

      TE - Good depth here as well. Clark probably won't be around next year, but Olsen and Davis have high upside. Not a real need here either.

      OL - As a unit they've progressed, but we still have weaknesses and need upgrades...bad. Best OL prospect available in Round 1 or 2?

      OT - Omiyale and Webb have been decent as of late, but I'm not sold on them as long term answers right now.

      OG - Williams may be the answer at LG, but Garza is old as balls and we need a replacement. Louis has nice potential, but we need to solidify this position.

      C - Yeah, we need a Center. Kruetz has had another mediocre season and doesn't have anything left in the tank.

      --------------

      DE - Peppers, Wooton and Izzy make for a solid trio. It'd be nice to get another pass rusher, but I don't see it as a huge need right now.

      DT - I see DT as a bigger need than DE. We lack that 'impact player' in the middle that would make our defense even better.

      LB - BPA if it's available, but this position is pretty low on my needs list. Briggs and Urlacher are still playing at a high level and even if we lose Pisa I like Nick Roach and Brian Iwuh.

      Safety - While not a major strength I don't see it as a weakness either. The unit is strong against the run and not a complete liability in pass coverage. A strong pass rush covers up their deficiencies hence why DT is more important IMO.

      CB - Peanut is getting old and I don't know if Jennings is the answer on the other side. Josh Moore may be something if he develops and we still have Bowman, but it'd be nice to get a man-cover-corner prospect that isn't strictly handcuffed to zone coverage.

      ---------------

      K - There is no replacement for the sex that is Robbie Gould.

      P - I thought Maynard was falling off, but lately he's been really good. He's not what he used to be though and it might be worth a look in the later rounds for a developmental Punter.

      KR/PR - Unless Hester is gone next year this position is fairly set as well.

      --------------

      I'm a little slow on the prospects in this draft, but right now my biggest needs are:

      - OL (any one of the positions)
      - DT
      - CB


      Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

      Originally posted by JBCX
      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        I'd be ok with that draft. Carimi's LT ability can be questioned, but he can probably upgrade Omiyele and would definitely fit at RT.

        I agree that Dalton is a good fit for Mike Martz. He's accurate too, which is another bonus in the Martz offense. There is definitely some young Marc Bulger in him, and anyone is better backing up Cutler than Todd F. Collins. (Take a guess what the F stands for.)
        I'm still on the Hanie bandwagon. We should have been able to see his skills in the Giants and Panthers games if Lovie wasn't a dumbass. I know he was coming off an injury, but Todd Collins made my head hurt and that's saying considering our QB's over the years. At least Hanie would've been able to move the ball.


        Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

        Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
          Carimi is not a LT. Definitely not in a Martz offense. He's really overrated. Hankerson isnt really a good fit for the system with his lack of speed. Linnenkohl also isnt a good fit and isnt very physical. Very athletic though. He's more of a ZBS guy.
          1. Carimi is a possible future LT. At the moment, he looks like a pro-bowl RT. Since we have the second worst RT in the league, doesn't that sound a little useful?

          2. What system? We don't even run Mike Martz's offense anymore. Not a fit? Then Earl Bennett isn't, either. Are only speedy guys with major flaws good for the "system" that already sucked and got replaced with something entirely new? Would Brandon Marshall be a bad fit? Jay Cutler is never going to look like the pro-bowl qb he is without a physical receiver who can win a fight over a jump ball. He's just not the guy who surgically picks a team apart. Until we get a receivers that is his type of guy, we're jamming a square peg into a round hole. What Cutler needs is Earl Bennett in the slot working against linebackers, Johnny Knox on the outside running his deep routes, and a big guy who can beat corners on jump balls across from him.

          3. Every time I've seen Linnenkohl play, he's gotten excellent push in the run game and has been solid in pass protection. He gets to the second level when run blocking. Weak guys don't do that. Sounds like you're automatically underrating his strength just because he is a fast guy with good feet.

          Comment


          • Saw a mock that gave us Mason Foster in the 2nd round....while that is far from the top of our needs list, it would be sick as hell. I think he's going to be a beast...possibly Lance Briggs 2.0 wherever he ends up. I think it was Babylon who said that if Foster played in the SEC, he'd be a first rounder. Still might be if he tests well all off season.

            Comment


            • How would you guys feel about Corey Liuget in the late first?
              I personally love the idea, A I think Liuget will be a stud and B I would be tickled that we drafted a guy from Illinois to Chicago.
              Bears fan

              Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin


              In Tyler We Trust

              Welcome to Project Mayhem

              This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
              Jimmy Buckets <3

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Monomach View Post
                1. Carimi is a possible future LT. At the moment, he looks like a pro-bowl RT. Since we have the second worst RT in the league, doesn't that sound a little useful?

                2. What system? We don't even run Mike Martz's offense anymore. Not a fit? Then Earl Bennett isn't, either. Are only speedy guys with major flaws good for the "system" that already sucked and got replaced with something entirely new? Would Brandon Marshall be a bad fit? Jay Cutler is never going to look like the pro-bowl qb he is without a physical receiver who can win a fight over a jump ball. He's just not the guy who surgically picks a team apart. Until we get a receivers that is his type of guy, we're jamming a square peg into a round hole. What Cutler needs is Earl Bennett in the slot working against linebackers, Johnny Knox on the outside running his deep routes, and a big guy who can beat corners on jump balls across from him.

                3. Every time I've seen Linnenkohl play, he's gotten excellent push in the run game and has been solid in pass protection. He gets to the second level when run blocking. Weak guys don't do that. Sounds like you're automatically underrating his strength just because he is a fast guy with good feet.
                Wow are you overrating Carimi and Hankerson. Carimi isnt a LT and definitely not a pro bowl RT. He's a good solid starting RT. Thats it. Hankerson is a nice looking player but he looked terrible in that bowl game. Thats hard to get out of my head. Ive seen Linnenkohl play a few times and he's not very strong. Its obvious on tape.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  Saw a mock that gave us Mason Foster in the 2nd round....while that is far from the top of our needs list, it would be sick as hell. I think he's going to be a beast...possibly Lance Briggs 2.0 wherever he ends up. I think it was Babylon who said that if Foster played in the SEC, he'd be a first rounder. Still might be if he tests well all off season.
                  He's a good fit for a 1 gap scheme but he isnt physical and takes a lot of really poor angles. I think he's more of a mid-rounder. Foster plays on the same team as Jake Locker so its not like Washington wasnt getting attention.

                  Comment


                  • We really need to find a gem CB in the offseason.

                    I like both Brandon Harris & Aaron Williams, but have a hard time justifying selecting one of them with the OL and DL needs.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bearsfan123 View Post
                      How would you guys feel about Corey Liuget in the late first?
                      I personally love the idea, A I think Liuget will be a stud and B I would be tickled that we drafted a guy from Illinois to Chicago.
                      Liuget is an absolute animal and probably the most underrated player in this class. Ask some of the other B10 fans on this board and they will tell you.

                      Scott has him going #19 overall to the Giants at the moment. I don't think he falls to the very end of the first with his athleticism.

                      He would be a real man child inside.

                      Comment


                      • Todays game has me feeling the same way. Brandon Harris is also imo a better corner than the tackles that will be available are tackles.
                        I want a sig.

                        Comment


                        • You simply can't justify taking a first round cornerback with this defensive scheme.

                          I'd rather take a pass rusher in the first (preferably an UT), that would automatically improve our secondary.


                          Sig by me... Hold the applause.

                          Comment


                          • Aye, today was more evidence that our secondary cannot hold up vs. the quick passing attack. Our pass rush was getting to Rodgers when he held the ball for more than a second, but we need some more athletic DBs who can stick in close coverage without getting PI called.

                            Comment


                            • Basically, our secondary is Danieal Manning and "some guys."

                              In case anyone was wondering, Manning finished the season as Pro Football Focus' #6 ranked safety in the NFL. He allowed a QB rating of under 60 in his zone...Completion rating of 55%. No touchdowns allowed. So, yeah...Of course we'll let him walk and start Major Wright at SS or something.

                              Comment


                              • I do agree about no CB in the first, though. Not unless Lovie is miraculously out and we move to a more man-to-man system.

                                In the mock forum, some Bears fan I never see in here keeps asking for Pouncey in the first. I'd ******* kill someone if that happened.
                                Last edited by Monomach; 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information