No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll give this draft a solid A- or B+. Carimi, Paea, and Thomad were very good picks. Conte was okay but there were better corners and safeties on the board as well as Tandon Doss. I'll give Enderle an incomplete. I like him as a prospect but I'll wait and see if it was a mistake to pass on other needs if we goby get free agents like O'Dowd and Tolliver.

Originally posted by SolidGold
    Bortlezzzzzzz
    Originally posted by Monomach
    Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

• So from the ESPN NFC North "Draft Analysis":

Best Move: Vikings taking Christian Ponder
      Riskiest Move: Lions taking Nick Fairley
      Most Surprising Move: Bears taking Gabe Carimi

I don't even know what to say to those classifications...

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
        So from the ESPN NFC North "Draft Analysis":

I understand why we'd be the most surprising. After all, who on earth figured Carimi would fall to us? I can even see the Lions being risky because they ignored starting-caliber corners when they're trotting trash like Vasher and Smith out there. But Christian Ponder at 12th overall is the best move in the division?

Best for the teams the Vikings compete with, maybe.
        Last edited by Monomach; 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Just reading over your comments a little and it looks like I agree with most of your sentiments. I think the Bears hit home runs with their first two picks in Carimi and Paea. I thought Carimi was the top tackle in the class so to get him at 29 is a great deal, and you didn't have to trade up to get him. Paea is a stud and fits their defense I think. Enderle is a great flyer at quarterback and you never know when one of those young guys can be flipped for a player or pick later on. I'm not familiar with Conte or Thomas, but Thomas looks like a rangy athlete on tape and should provide good depth and special teams play. Conte looks stiff. I like what the Bears did.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
            So from the ESPN NFC North "Draft Analysis":

Best Move and Surprising Move are swapped, no?

Comment

• Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? If so, anyone worth looking at?

Comment

• Originally posted by k0ng View Post
                Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? If so, anyone worth looking at?
                They may still have one. But since no players have applied, it hasn't been scheduled yet. Depending on how fast the NCAA drops the hammer on Ohio State, guys like Terrelle Pryor, DeVier Posey, Mike Brewster, and Mike Adams could be available.

Brewster and Adams would both provide much needed offensive line help. I would not be mad if the Bears spent a 3rd rounder (maybe even a 2nd rounder) on either of those players. Posey and Pryor could give the Bears a tall receiver they need. Maybe a 5th for Posey and a 7th for Pryor.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                Bortlezzzzzzz
                Originally posted by Monomach
                Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

• Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                  They may still have one. But since no players have applied, it hasn't been scheduled yet. Depending on how fast the NCAA drops the hammer on Ohio State, guys like Terrelle Pryor, DeVier Posey, Mike Brewster, and Mike Adams could be available.

Brewster and Adams would both provide much needed offensive line help. I would not be mad if the Bears spent a 3rd rounder (maybe even a 2nd rounder) on either of those players. Posey and Pryor could give the Bears a tall receiver they need. Maybe a 5th for Posey and a 7th for Pryor.
                  I don't buy Brewster or Adams being in it, though...especially Brewster. He's not even one of the guys getting suspended.

My way of valuing picks:
                  1st and 2nd rounds: Immediate impact players who fit the system, but no running backs unless they look like Barry Sanders
                  3rd round: Guys I feel fairly confident will be NFL starters within two years and pretty good running backs
                  4th round: Guys I feel somewhat confident will be future NFL starters at some point and average starting running backs
                  5th round: Really good fullbacks, kickers, punters, returners, and special teams gunners
                  6th and 7th rounds: Big character concerns, guys with all the physical traits but nothing else, serious injury concerns- basically boom-or-bust types

For supplemental picks, I value the players the same as I would in a normal draft.

-Brewster would start at Center right away. He looks like he's a Mangold type. Seeing as how he doesn't really have any character concerns, I'd be ok with using a first rounder on him.

-Adams looks a bit too much like a zone guy to really fit in Chicago and is a little raw, but he looks like he's going to be a solid starting tackle in the future and probably serviceable at keeping Cutler off his ass in the first year. He's suspended for the first five games of next season for taking money and services. He has one paraphernalia arrest on his record. I'm not too scared by guys who show they're willing to play for money; after all, everyone in the NFL gets paid. So we have a single time being busted with a pipe to be worried about...and that's not much of a worry. I'd be ok with using a supplemental third on him. If he looks ok next year, he's going to go sometime before the mid-second, so he might as well not come out right now.

-Levier Posey is another of the suspended guys. He's a little slow for my taste. If you're a 4.5+ receiver, I want you to be bigger and more physical or have great hands and a big catch radius. He's not that. He's shown flashes and a small bit of improvement, but there's really nothing about his game to get fired up about. What's his upside? A decent slot guy working against linebackers and nickel backs a la Earl Bennett? We already have one Earl Bennett, and collecting multiple guys of that skillset is not going to be much of a help to any team. Not really interested because I think he'd end up getting cut pretty early. Worth a fourth rounder to me if we didn't already have the polished version of him on the roster. Someone else will probably spend a 5th-7th on him if he comes out.

Terrelle Pryor is Vincent Jackson's body with just as many character concerns and none of the production. He fits perfectly as a seventh round WR project. I suppose some idiot could spend a third on him and try to make him a QB, but I'm not that dumb.

So, yeah...the only way the supplemental draft would be worth paying attention to is if Brewster or Adams come out. Adams stands to gain more by staying and playing out the partial season at OSU next year. Brewster gains nothing at all by coming out, so that's not happening. Unless he falls off a cliff, he's a mid-first next year.
                  Last edited by Monomach; 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• So teams can sign rookies and URFAs tomorrow. Who do you want?

O'Dowd, Kirkpatrick, or Barnes. And I've always felt Herzlich would make a beautiful SLB for us. After that, Tolliver or Andre Brown. No shockers. Your basic low risk, barrel-of-potential type players.
                    I want a sig.

Comment

• I'm not really going to get into specific players because, quite honestly, it's a crapshoot in the 4th round, let alone with undrafted players.

That said, we need depth at offensive line, defensive line and linebacker. Mostly I think we'll be looking for special teams aces, which is perfectly understandable.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Brad Biggs reporting that the bears will be taking a close look at Justin Babin.
                        I think it would be a good fit because, outside of Detroit, the bears run the closest D to Jeff Fishers old scheme.

EDIT-Wrong thread, but you get the point.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                        I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

• I'd like to add one of the OGs in Blalock or Davin Joseph.

Not real sure what were going to do with the $37M however..

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information