No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he does make for a great pulling guard. he is certainly 100x times better than omiyale

Comment

• I've liked what I saw from Williams at LG. Haynesworth made him look bad but he does that to pro bowl OGs. Williams moving to LG has made our OL better. I'd be happy if we kept him there.

I dont think Id prefer the Solder pick but I'm ok with passing on Sherrod. He's not a cant miss player. He's a good not great OT prospect. Solder has some monster upside. He's a freak athlete. Even a better athlete then Bruce Campbell was last year.

Im still hoping for a big time WR if one falls to us. This is a really deep class for OL. We can pick up an O-linemen or 2 in rounds 2-4 with starting potential.

Comment

• Granted, I haven't seen a ton of Solder, but I would be against drafting him, especially with Sherrod on the board. I don't think a left side of Solder/Williams works in the long run for a team that wants to run the ball.

I wish their was a center as good as Maurkice Pouncey in this draft. It would be nice to just grab a guy like that and plug him in at RG/C.

I've heard mixed opinions on Stephen Wisniewski, but if he grades out as a mid-late first rounder, I'd have no objections to taking him there and plugging him in right away.

I've seen Rodney Hudson's value all over the place as well. I think he's a second rounder.

Few scenarios:

1) Stephen Wisniewski - C/G - Penn State
        2) Rodney Hudson - G - Florida State

LT - Frank Omiyale
        LG - Chris Williams
        C - Stephen Wisniewski
        RG - Rodney Hudson
        RT - JaMarcus Webb

1) Stephen Wisniewski - C/G - Penn State
        2) DeMarcus Love - T - Arkansas

LT - Frank Omiyale
        LG - Chris Williams
        C - Olin Kreutz
        RG - Stephen Wisniewski
        RT - DeMarcus Love

1) Derrek Sherrod - T - Miss State
        2) Rodney Hudson - G/C - Florida State

LT - Derrek Sherrod
        LG - Chris Williams
        C - Olin Kreutz
        RG - Rodney Hudson
        RT - Frank Omiyale

Comment

• If Hudson actually checks in as listed (or worse) 6'2 280...then I'll pass.

Wouldn't actually mind your 2nd scenario of Wis in the first and Love in the 2nd....that would really help improve our line I think.

And I'll take Sherrod all day any day wherever we can get him. Comparisons to Chris Williams be damned...I watched him play a great game vs. Arkansas where he played physical in the run game and was solid in pass blocking.

Comment

• It would be really nice if there were an Alex Mack / Maurkice Pouncey in this draft.

Sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
              It would be really nice if there were an Alex Mack / Maurkice Pouncey in this draft.

Sucks.
              O'Dowd might be the closest to one of those types, but his injury history isn't exactly clean. I'd definitely take him in the late 2nd round though.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                O'Dowd might be the closest to one of those types, but his injury history isn't exactly clean. I'd definitely take him in the late 2nd round though.
                Yeah, I like O'Dowd as well as Tyron Smith who is a steal if he comes out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  Eesh...Scott gave us Solder with Sherrod still on the board. I'd be fuming on draft day if that's how it went.

Solder is just too raw, and we could use a guy who could step in right away and play well. And in his write up for Sherrod (taken by the Falcons several picks later,) he writes: "...but few, if any, offer the total package of Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod. An outstanding all-around player with everything you look for at the position...."

DO WANT!
                  Yeah, its like Scott included the JA Factor in his mocking formula.

Solders problems are obvious but I'm not impressed with Sherrod like you are. I'm not disappointed either, its just, idk. You like him because hes serviceable in all areas with a flash now and then, which would be awesome for us especially in a 1st round pick. But that same reason is why I'm not sold on him. I want a guy who is great at at least one thing and serviceable in all the others.

So, at tackle, I'm feeling a Carimi pick more and more for his awesome run blocking and ok-to-solid pass pro. RT in the first? Maybe, or maybe he just has to be better than Omiyale at LT :/
                  I want a sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender View Post
                    Yeah, its like Scott included the JA Factor in his mocking formula.

Solders problems are obvious but I'm not impressed with Sherrod like you are. I'm not disappointed either, its just, idk. You like him because hes serviceable in all areas with a flash now and then, which would be awesome for us especially in a 1st round pick. But that same reason is why I'm not sold on him. I want a guy who is great at at least one thing and serviceable in all the others.

So, at tackle, I'm feeling a Carimi pick more and more for his awesome run blocking and ok-to-solid pass pro. RT in the first? Maybe, or maybe he just has to be better than Omiyale at LT :/
                    It's really hard for us to go wrong as long as we end up with a long term starter somewhere on the o-line. Knowing JA, we won't even take an OL in the first, but this is a good year to find guys who can start right away in the 2nd/3rd rounds along the o-line.

Comment

• Tyron Smith declared.

I am on board..

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                        Tyron Smith declared.

I am on board..
                        I think he'll be overdrafted based on the ridiculous workouts I expect him to put up.

He's undersized at 285 and might need a year in a pro workout program to be physically prepared....and he's also only played RT. That's not to say he can't play LT, but I would have liked to see him actually do it.

Comment

• I really liked that interview with Sherrod. I'm not as high on him as some but he's a good looking player and can start at either LT or RT. I'd be happy if he was our 1st round pick.

Comment

• Same here. I don't love him but he's certainly winning me over. I'd have zero problems with Sherrod first.
                            I want a sig.

Comment

• Could play either LT or RT for us. I prefer him as a LT.

Comment

• This morning I was so on board with Floyd but after tonights win, Earls last couple games playing like a lot of us hoped he would, Johnnys big catch, Devins TD, Rashieds TD for goodness sake...I think we can put that big physical WR need down a rung. But Lord have mercy on our run game. Woof.

DeCastro, Sherrod/Carimi, or Cannon in the first is a must.
                                I want a sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information