No announcement yet.

Annual 3-4 Talk Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to be completely honest you guys might be better staying 4-3.

All you need is a premier WDE (Gholston/Harvey) and a UT... Trevor Laws.

RDE: Derrick Harvey.
    RDT: Trevor Laws
    LDT: Domata Peko
    LDE: Robert Geathers

WLB: Landon Johnson
    MLB: Ahmad Brooks
    SLB: Odell Thurman

I would trade your first for a mid round pick to someone desperately wanting a guy like Ryan Clady, the Top CB or QB... there will likely be someone there that wants up.

If you trade your first to Chicago (Matt Ryan). It's worth their 1st and 2nd round draft pick. I could see them realistically making that move too.

If you get an extra first or 2nd, and without Pollak, I'd take Keith Rivers, The guy is the prototype WLB.

1) Keith Rivers, WLB, USC

Moving to your second:

Still need a WDE/UT

2a) Trevor Laws ~ Prototypical 3-tech and would give you guys an exceptional interior Justin tuck like passrusher.

2b) Earl Bennett ~ I think this guy is the best WR in the draft. Standard size at 6'1 205lbs but he's one of the smartest and most physical WR's. Maybe a Hines Ward-esque / Larry Fitz-esque WR. Perfect especially if you're considering trading Chad Johnson. Getting an additional 1st for CJ and Bennett in the 2nd. I think Bennett could be #2 as a rookie, but with Housh moving to #1 and Henry to #2 I think he'd be fine at #3 as a rookie as well.

3) Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech ~ Marvin seems to ignore defense year after year. Well If I were him and I got these guys that would not only give you one of the youngest front 7's in the league, but one of the most athletically gifted and football talented. With the front 4 you guys have, you could instantly swing 3-4 Either way.

Standard 4-3;

Geathers ~ Peko ~ Laws ~ Ellis

Thurman ~ Brooks ~ Rivers

3-4/1:

Geathers ~ Peko ~ Laws

Thurman ~ Brooks ~ Rivers ~ Ellis

3-4/2:

Peko ~ Laws ~ Ellis

Geathers ~ Thurman ~ Brooks ~ Rivers

If not Ellis, then Johnny Dingle might be an exceptional idea. He's 6'3 278lbs and is pretty quick for a big guy. He's got a high motor and plays all over the field. He could be an outstanding WDE in a 4-3 or part-time ROLB in a 3-4.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice overview Stiller.

I think the bottom line is the draft will dictate what base formation we take. Kind of like trying for Manny Lawson 2 years ago. If the right pieces fall together the change is made, if not then 4-3 it is. Either way I think we're missing the same amount of pieces, I just think it'd be easier to generate a pass rush out of the 3-4 given our players.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
        Nice overview Stiller.

I think the bottom line is the draft will dictate what base formation we take. Kind of like trying for Manny Lawson 2 years ago. If the right pieces fall together the change is made, if not then 4-3 it is. Either way I think we're missing the same amount of pieces, I just think it'd be easier to generate a pass rush out of the 3-4 given our players.

It could.. But you still only have 1 DE, no 3-4 WDE or NT.. 2 EXTREMELY vital parts. Add to that you have no Weakside Passrusher as well.

Geathers is you're only passrusher as of right now.

And Frankly, from experience, it's easier to dictate a 4-3 DL than a 3-4 DL/OLB because of the fact they have to make a change in philosophy.

Trade back and get Rivers/Harvey, get Laws and round 2, and you've just fixed your front 4 with a top notch 3-tech and Very talented and Athletic WDE.

Then if you want to upgrade Johnson at WILL...

Geno Hayes in 3
        Ezra Butler in 4
        Alvin Bowen in 4
        Jordan Dizon in 5
        Nick Watkins in 7...

I'd go with Bowen... big and fast.

giving you:

1) Harvey (Trade back a few slots)
        2) Laws
        3) ?
        4) Bowen

I think Harvey and Laws could start as rookies and Bowen could be a ST extraordinaire while slowly taking reigns of the weakside.

And you guys from that set could STILL rotate 3-4 Either way.

Playing 4-3 Set, 3-4 Over/Under. Which makes you ultimately versatile, aka a Miami/Baltimore Hybrid.

The addition of Bowen and Laws should help your run stopping and Harvey/Laws should upgrade your passrush significantly.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information