No announcement yet.

Making A Case For Crabtree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would've been foolish to go into the season with Henry and two 2nd year WR's battling it out for the #2 WR spot. I count on Henry for nothing anymore, with expectations like that I can't be disappointed.

WR's are long term investments. If we're signing guys to play around them year 3 and 4, then I'll be disappointed.

Comment

Something I saw on another board that I thought was relevant and would bring to the discussion here is this.

Henry wasn't part of the team during the 2008 draft. Simpson was probably brought in to fill the role left void by Henry. Caldwell, whom many feel is a TJ clone was then drafted to fill the void most saw coming when TJ left. That leaves you Chad, Simpson, and Caldwell as your 1-3.

Enter Coles... He's been a #1 WR at times and has the speed to go deep coupled with the ability (and willingness) to go over the middle. Why bring in Coles ?? One of two reasons that I don't have the answer to yet.

#1. Chad is on the trading block.
      #2. No faith in the youngsters.

Once again, if Simpson was brought in for Henry, good. Caldwell for TJ, good. With Coles, Henry is a luxury, but isn't going anywhere entering a contract year.

Not my thought, just thought I would share as it seemed to make sense to me.

Comment

Why bring in Coles?
        Do you really want the only 2 veteran receivers on your team to be Chad Johnson and Chris Henry?

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
          Why bring in Coles?
          Do you really want the only 2 veteran receivers on your team to be Chad Johnson and Chris Henry?
          It doesn't matter what "I" want. It matters how the organization views the players. Marvin has been quoted numerous times saying how he thinks Simpson is going to play a major role in the offense this season. He's also made comments (prior to TJ leaving) how Caldwell was a WR in the "TJ mold" of things.

Fact of the matter is, those two were brought in to replace Henry and TJ and NOT Chad. If Simpson shows, he could easily produce in the mold of Henry and Caldwell was very impressive when he had his shots last season. So that leaves both Chad and Coles.

Once again, I'm not saying Chad is going anywhere. I'm simply saying it's not as far fetched as some want to make it. To answer your question about what I want, it's simple.

Trade Chad for whatever you can get for him within reason and use the pick to address a greater need on the team. This team can win 4 or more games WITHOUT Chad.

Coles, Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, name your #5. I don't care. I'm MORE than willing to move on from the circus that has plagued this team and at least make the attempt to bring in some players that have more leadership capabilities.

Just me...

Comment

I'd be all for trading CJ as well but I just don't see how he would be worth anything right now. It'd probably just be better to keep him n see what we can get out of him.

^A Bonekrusher production^
            Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
              I'd be all for trading CJ as well but I just don't see how he would be worth anything right now. It'd probably just be better to keep him n see what we can get out of him.
              I don't see chad as being worth much after last season. Maybe if he has a good season this year he will be possible trade quality. But, if he has a good season would you still want to trade him?

Comment

If he has a good season then yeah I'd want to trade him if there was a good offer on the table. Is he a free agent after this season or after the next?

^A Bonekrusher production^
                Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
                  If he has a good season then yeah I'd want to trade him if there was a good offer on the table. Is he a free agent after this season or after the next?
                  Chad is signed through 2011. Im pretty sure he is....

Comment

Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
                    I don't see chad as being worth much after last season. Maybe if he has a good season this year he will be possible trade quality. But, if he has a good season would you still want to trade him?
                    I would hope that teams would be smart enough to see that there were reasons for Chad's drop in performance last season. The guy missed all of the mini-camps, he got hurt, we had no running game until the very end of the year and he had Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to him.

I don't think it's crazy to think that Chad can return to his previous form.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information