Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate Reaction

My immediate reaction is just WOW!
    Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Chase Coffman and Jonathon Luigs.

Awesome.

All those guys could start for us sooner or later.

Individual pick grade:
    Andre Smith - A
    Rey Maualuga - A+
    Michael Johnson - B
    Chase Coffman - B
    Jonathon Luigs - B
    Kevin Huber - B- (a little early but Ill take it)
    Morgan Trent - D
    Bernard Scott - D
    Taufui Vakapuna - C-
    Clinton McDonald - C
    Freddie Brown - F
    Overall grade: A
    Last edited by Bengals78; 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM.

bonekrusher
    The Twitters
    themaninblack

I am loving this draft

^A Bonekrusher production^
    Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

We got possibly 4 immediate starters (Smith, Maualuga, Luigs and Huber).

Johnson and Coffman will probably see the field from the beginning. Johnson especially, if he could rack up about 6 sacks that would be big for us.

Our defense FINALLY doesn't have any large holes. Sure, it's not perfect but reasonable health provided... We have top 10 potential with our defense.

I'm honestly kinda hoping Smith goes to RT and Collins to LT, then we could go back to running it on teams to the right side.

I sure hope we actually use Coffman, using a TE could help to offset the loss of TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
        I sure hope we actually use Coffman, using a TE could help to offset the loss of TJ.
        I think that was the big logic in this pick. Add an extra target to help replace the big one we lost.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
          I'm honestly kinda hoping Smith goes to RT and Collins to LT, then we could go back to running it on teams to the right side.
          This is what I've been wanting/saying for awhile now. Smith at RT and Collins at LT would be amazing for a long time. I do feel like Smith could play LT but I think it works out better for the both of them if they put them at those spots.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
            I think that was the big logic in this pick. Add an extra target to help replace the big one we lost.
            I think Coles, Henry and Ochocinco will be enough targets. And I'm still optimistic about Utecht.

Coffman seems like a bit of a project to me, but we shall see!

Comment

What's up guys ?? Checking in for the reaction here.

I loved the draft, no other way to say it.

Andre Smith was the guy I wanted all along in the first and was happy with that.
              Rey Maualuga being there in the 2nd was a no brainer pick gift wrapped from God.
              Michael Johnson can provide the pass rush and was a projected 1st rounder early on.
              Chase Coffman was another one I wanted. Look at his stats and tell me he won't fit.
              Jonathan Luigs isn't the guy I wanted, but he will be an upgrade to Ghiacuic.
              Kevin Huber was the best punter in the draft and isn't a project. Starter.
              Morgan Trent isn't a guy I wanted, but maybe they can coach him up. Is he better than Castille ?
              Bernard Scott was a very productive RB will all sorts of skills. Poor character.
              Taufui Vakapuna was a guy Anderson just went on and on about and impressed his pro day.
              McDonald and Brown ?? Who cares ??

I'm more impressed with Quan Cosby out of Texas than I am Freddie Brown, but I'm not sure where he fits on this team as a 27 year old rookie...

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                I think Coles, Henry and Ochocinco will be enough targets. And I'm still optimistic about Utecht.

Coffman seems like a bit of a project to me, but we shall see!
                As it turns out, Coffman can learn under Utecht in order to get more accustomed to being in an NFL offense. I really like the Coffman pick because, like was stated earlier, he kind of makes up for what we lost in TJ. Maybe he doesn't completely replace TJ, but along with the acquisition of Coles, I think we may have taken a step forward instead of going backward.

worker bees can leave
                even drones can fly away
                the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

As for Freddie Brown, the last pick of the draft:

I read something on another board that had me crying.

Can you imagine how funny it would be to see his jersey ??

"F. Brown"

Priceless...

Comment

I thought it was a great draft for the Bengals.

Defensively in the back 7 you get the MLB of the future in Maualuga and a project DB in Trent. Rey should be a leader of this defense and a great NFL player with a chip on his shoulder after falling, not really important but I wonder if he gets his 58. Trent could be nothing but he's got the skills to do some nice things so for the later pick it's worth it.

On the DL I think the pass rush really improves. Johnson could be great situationally, gets a third round version of that first round lanky pass-rushing end Marvin seems to have always wanted, and eventually is definitely capable of starting. Plus he's obviously got the first round talent. McDonald should be a great situational pass rusher inside and I thought was a fantastic pick as late as they grabbed him.

Offensively you solidify the line with Smith and Luigs. That was huge. Both should start, Smith gives you a great athlete and run-blocker wherever he plays and he and Collins should be fantastic bookend tackles. Very important in the AFC North to have those tackles, so it's great to get him. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. And Luigs will probably be able to start from day 1 and help fix up the weakest position on the OL.

Scott's a great potential RB who could really spell Benson well, surprised they waited that long but they managed to grab an earlier round talent. Coffman confuses me a little because he's so similar to Utecht but he can definitely be a good weapon for Palmer and as somebody said he and LC should be able to help replace Housh. Manage to grab a potential FB of the future in the late rounds which is always nice, and cap things off with some fantastic comedy in F Brown. Doubt he makes the roster, but at that point it's a long shot anyway.

Plus there's a starting punter in there with Huber who is familiar with punting in the area. Excellent draft.

Comment

Very good and respectable write up. +rep

bonekrusher
                      The Twitters
                      themaninblack

Comment

Marvin made a great point about this draft class that actually really surprised me. Basically, he said the thing he likes most about this class is that almost every prospect we picked has something to prove in the NFL. Just thought it was a very interesting take on it.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Sometimes thats the worst thing for the OTHER team, a bunch of young talented guys with a lot to prove and pretty much nothing to lose.

bonekrusher
                          The Twitters
                          themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
                            Sometimes thats the worst thing for the OTHER team, a bunch of young talented guys with a lot to prove and pretty much nothing to lose.
                            Yeah, I can really see it with a lot of these guys:

Smith- wants to prove the character concerns are overblown and that he can possibly play LT in the NFL though I really think hes going to be a dominant RT.

Maualuga- Similar maturity concerns, also wants to prove he should have been drafted much higher.

Johnson- needs to prove he can fulfill his great potential and that he has a motor.

Coffman- needs to prove that he can be an adept blocker.

Luigs- that he was being overlooked as a top C in his senior season.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

This draft and last year's draft have pieces falling in place for the Bengals. Both of those classes mesh well together which will give stability on defense and with the retooling of the line, that offense which can be so dynamic. However, everyone needs to get to the camps, so all the new pieces can get accustomed to the new. Overall, very exciting draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information