Roy Williams Signed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Williams Signed

Just saw on NFL and on Bengals.com that Roy Williams has reached a agreement.

Now do we keep him a S or move him to LB

Either way i like this signing more depth for a Def i see in Top 10 next year

RIP themaninblack

Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
    Just saw on NFL and on Bengals.com that Roy Williams has reached a agreement.

Now do we keep him a S or move him to LB

Either way i like this signing more depth for a Def i see in Top 10 next year
    Given who the Bengals have drafted at LB the past two years, why not keep him at safety?

Comment

Will be watching from afar to see how this story unfolds. Good Luck.

Comment

Is ay keep him at S

Comment

Seems like a very unnecessary signing, but I guess you can never have enough bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
            Seems like a very unnecessary signing, but I guess you can never have enough bodies.
            How is it unnecessary we have had Injury problems at S for last couple years this is a great signing for Depth

RIP themaninblack

Comment

I think it is a very good signing. It might seem excessive but we do add depth to safety and with recent injury plagued years, its worth having the bodies. Plus on running downs he would make for a studly S to put in the box with Ndukwe in the back roaming. Adds a lot of flex to our secondary IMO

bonekrusher
              The Twitters
              themaninblack

Comment

Well, you're guaranteed at least one Pro Bowler this year..

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                  And on defense no less lol.
                  I think he could really return to his former self under Zimmer.

bonekrusher
                  The Twitters
                  themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                    The SS, not the WR :P

If Roy Williams makes the Pro Bowl, all hell will break lose..
                    | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                      The SS, not the WR :P

If Roy Williams makes the Pro Bowl, all hell will break lose..
                      Both Roy William the safety and the receiver have made the probowl. The Safety has actually made 5 probowls, most of which hardcore football fans thought he was undeserving of, there in lies the joke "at least you've got a guaranteed probowler"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
                        How is it unnecessary we have had Injury problems at S for last couple years this is a great signing for Depth
                        First off, when I made my original post, I said 'you can never have enough bodies' in reference to the fact that depth can be useful.

Unfortunately for us, we can't predict where our injuries will occur. It's possible every safety on the roster becomes injured this season. It's also possible that no one on the roster becomes injured.

However, right now we have 5 capable safeties, who can more than likely play both FS and SS, in Lynch, White, Ndukwe, Crocker, Hebert. Adding Roy Williams takes that number to 6. Which means there will most definitely be a position battle for the starting safety jobs. In said battle, it's possible we stunt Ndukwe, White, Hebert and Lynch's growth as they get pushed out of the starting / immediate back up positions.

Right now it looks as if Hebert and Lynch will see very little play time outside of special teams. Both of which would be more than adequate to sit in on defense as back ups / for certain packages, meanwhile growing as players.

Now, instead of these players learning the game on the field, they're going to sit behind a strong safety who is 7-8 years into his career and still doesn't know how to cover. Ask any Dallas fan why Roy Williams was let go, and undoubtedly they will tell you how terrible he is at coverage.

The fact that this signing is getting praised so much is direct evidence to how little our fans watch other teams play. At this point, I can only assume that you went on Wikipedia, typed in Roy Williams, saw that he went to 5 Probowls and then rushed back here to tell everyone how great of a signing this was.

Sometimes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. In this case, The Cowboy's trash is now the Bengal's trash, disguised as a golden package.

Comment

Roy's coverage issues came mostly due to lack of secondary help and that he didnt fit well into the new scheme. I am not saying he is a stud in coverage but he is competent. Lynch and Hebert would probably be nothing more than back-ups anyways. White will benefit from having Williams here I think (they both play for big hits).
                          Systems can have a lot to do with a players success. Maybe the change back to when he did his best will help him.

As for people acting like he is gold, you're acting like he is completely and total trash. I would agree if we ran out a base 3-4 like Dallas has in the past few years.

bonekrusher
                          The Twitters
                          themaninblack

Comment

1. He was a pro bowler under zimmer...
                            2. Zimmer says he can do both(cover and run defense)
                            3. Roy is coming to a run first division so even if he is lacking in coverage, he's in the right division
                            4. In Zimmer I trust
                            5. Lynch and Herbert(sp?) are backups...White is coming off a knee injury...

Comment

I don't think Cincy uses a lot of zone blitzes so he could probably play rush end. Anything to keep him out of coverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information