Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leon Washington just delivered a huge lump of coal to the bengals.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.

Comment

• We are getting exactly what we deserve after embarassing losses to Tampa, and terrible games vs. Atl, SD and Denver. We can call ourselves a good team but these guys have to take the next step and prove it rather than just think it in their heads.

Time to think about next year? I was looking over the WR corp and wondering if there's any chance we maybe try to unload Chris Henry for a draft pick if there's any takers. We have Chad, TJ, Tab Perry, Glen Holt, Benny Brazille, KW, Skylar Green and an upcoming draft. I'm just wondering whether or not they unload Chris just as a way of saying we are tired of antics that distract the team. I know he may be a future star, but it seems if you throw to him 5 times, he catches 1 or 2 at most giving a piss-poor effort at that and then his off field stuff is troubling. Got any opinions?

Comment

• CB is the most important need on this team. Tory James is no longer able to play CB in the NFL. If you remember when we got him he was only supposed to be a stop gap for a year or two at most. We got more out of him than we thought we could and I thank him for that but its time to go. I dont think he will be offered a contract after this season. J-Jo is our starting CB next year for sure but O'Neil is getting up there in age as well. He is always up and down. Deltha is not the most consistant player out there. Hobson from Bengals.com said it himself, "O’Neal lives pretty far in Lewis’ doghouse these days and Joseph’s emergence hasn’t unlocked any doors. O'Neal has two years left on his deal, but two of his three seasons here have been injury plagued." Wouldn't it be nice to get another shut down CB so that he can learn for a year behind Deltha and maybe take over his spot in 2008.

Steinbach wants LT type of money when he is a Guard. He will get paid top 5 money from someone but I feel that it won't be us. Whitworth is more of a Guard than a Tackle. He only played tackle because of all the injuries to Levi.

I would rather spend the money on a defensive player than on Steinbach when we have his replacement. I am still not sure whether or not we should resign Justin Smith. I would not even call him average as a starter in the NFL. I feel that he is slightly below average as and NFL starter. He only has one move and thats the Bullrush, sorry but this is the NFL and you can't just push everyone around like in college Justin. He is not worth the money. I would rather get a different DE in the draft or Free Agency. I feel that the defense needs a major overhaul. A killer LB, CB, or Safety in free agency would also be better than resigning Smith. What do you guys think about this?
        Who Dey & Go Bucks
        The Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• I sure hope we can lure a couple "quality" free agents to the team this year. I agree that CB is a definite need in either rd 1 or 2 and no later. I don't know about O'Neal, he was a stud his first year here and this year he plays very disinterested and without any passion at all. I agree James is done. I also think Simmons is about done and wouldn't mind seeing him cut loose. Maybe John Thornton also. I kinda liked Shaun Smith but he must be in the doghouse too. Remember, we get Frostee Rucker back but I thought he was taken way too high. I like J.Smith and we need more "try-hard" guys that always give max effort. He's a good run stopper for a DE and gets you 6-7 sacks too. I hope that we get a clean Odell back but I wouldn't bve surprised to see a move to trade Henry and cut loose Odell to make a point. With the return of Tab Perry and Benny Brazille, we would be pretty good still at WR if we could get a 3rd rd pick for CH. Maybe I'm dreaming. I know he's a stud but he could implode at any minute...especially with the offseason coming up.

Comment

• I didn't go into depression, I just decided to ignore football for a few days

I agree. CB MUST be addressed round 1 or 2 of the draft, Marvin himself said the draft is the best route due to the cost of CB's in FA.

DT is NOT a first day need. Peko has a non-stop motor and is a very solid player already, between Robinson/Thornton/Sam we have enough guys for that other slot and Shaun Smith is a good player but Marvin has always had a thing against him (I think he felt he didn't practice well or something).

I would be completely comfortable taking CB/S round 1 and 2. We have enough depth at LB and young guys (Jeanty/Ahmad then Odell and Pollack being question marks). Right now I'm really hoping we re-sign Justin Smith, if not then CB and DE must be the day one picks.

Breshnahan was at least aggressive last week, still I wouldn't mind seeing another DC in there.

Comment

• Along with a good CB or 2 we need to maybe find another good linebacker because Pollack is going to need surgery on his neck and it looks to be like 25% that he'd be able to play again, So don't be surprised if he doesn't return because not many people are able to walk away from a broken neck twice in the life without chances of getting paralyzed but it may not and you also have to consider that simmons is pretty much in the same position where he is getting old and on the edge of being to old to keep up, also maybe a decent tight end, for some reason Brown doesn't think tight end is an important position

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengalman999
                Along with a good CB or 2 we need to maybe find another good linebacker because Pollack is going to need surgery on his neck and it looks to be like 25% that he'd be able to play again, So don't be surprised if he doesn't return because not many people are able to walk away from a broken neck twice in the life without chances of getting paralyzed but it may not and you also have to consider that simmons is pretty much in the same position where he is getting old and on the edge of being to old to keep up, also maybe a decent tight end, for some reason Brown doesn't think tight end is an important position
                You stole my avy. :evil:

Comment

• Marvin laughs at the idea of addressing TE early, it's just not a need. TJ is the most productive WR on 3rd downs and in the red zone. In a sense he fills our role for TE while our actual TE's block. There is a very slim need for a TE, probably via FA or 6th/7th round.

I don't think LB is a big need. Caleb is a solid backup, Jeanty has some solid potential, Landon is productive, Ahmad has massive potential, Odell could be back, Nicholson could still be productive. Given how weak LB is in this class there's really not any reason to address it. It seems every year Marvin flirts with a LB in FA (Hartwell, Sharper, Arrington etc) so there's potential we go that route as well. The future could still be Jeanty/Odell/Ahmad and that's pretty solid, Ahmad WILL be a star in this league.

I'd be all over Michael Griffin round 1 and Aaron Ross round 2. Our secondary would be set for years.

I'm not convinced we need to re-sign Justin Smith so I'm just going to assume the Blackburns will take care of him and until he's officially gone I'll just ignore DE as a need. Geathers/Rucker/Smith would be enough for the near future. Given Geathers ability as a pass rusher he can be groomed into a solid starter, plus I think he'll only be like 24 next season.

Comment

• All I gotta say is that we are the Boston Red Sox of the NFl with everything that has happened to us :(

Comment

• I wonder why we don't start Geathers more, the guy was the first player on team to record over 10 sack since Reinard Wilson I believe in 2001 and the fact is he was sharing time with robinson. I mean he's in only his 3rd year going into his forth, so it's not like he has an age problem, I think Marvin and Bresnahan have been to reliant on the athleticsism of our defensive backs to make the big play but putting some pressure on the quarterback is what causes the bad throws in which we can intercept, because I know our D Line hasn't produced much in the recent years.

Comment

• Peko is a keeper on the Oline, I think Geathers can be developed into an every down DE (as I said I think he's only like 23).

It would be really nice to get Woodley round one however we're up too high for that and we could potentially get McCauley which would be sweet. Griffin would be there for the taking and maybe, just maybe Reggie Nelson could fall back to us.

I think a certain amount of the lack of pressure on the QB is on Breshnahan. It's hard to get pressure on the QB sending 4 every time on 3rd and long.

Peko/Fanene/Shaun Smith may be the future starters at DT. I like what I see from Peko/Smith. At DE Geathers has potential to be an every down DE so that almost sets up our DL. Just depends on what we do with Justin Smith, it'd be nice to re-sign him for sure.

We MUST take a CB round 1 or 2. James sucks, Deltha has fallen out of favor and Joseph is our only solid starter. Saftey wouldn't be bad to address only if some stud, playmaking Saftey is there for the taking.

Next year I think we address the 2nd CB spot, Ahmad Brooks starts at SLB and bring pressure on the QB, our Oline gets healthy.

Next year we play the NFC West, AFC East and 2 easier fill in games. I'm honestly already anticipating a 13-3 season next year.

This year was just one of those years, we couldn't do things right ourselves and when we did we'd get screwed (see Tampa game). These kind of years are bound to happen, the Chargers fans are all too familiar.

Comment

• For some reason, Shaun Smith has gotten in Marvin's doghouse and was inactive for the last 2 games. I do think we still have DT problems evidenced by the way Pitts ran down our throats. Our LBers, other than maybe a Brooks, are not the type can can step in a hole and make a stop at the line. I love what Caleb has done but he's a sideline to sideline guy and to be effective in run stopping, I sure hope Odell makes it back. I think we have quite a few holes. We absolutely have to have 1 CB that can become an eventual starter if not immediately and hopefully we draft 2 CBs that make the team. We need a young Safety unless makes Jones or Busing can really be NFL starters. We need a pass rushing DE to replace Smith. We need another gem like Peko. Right now, we have 2 LBers on this team that are of no use to the defense, Wilkens and Frazier are strictly Spec Teamers. They are valuable but I would prefer they be replaced with guys that can play both well. On offense, I'd like a TE, another WR and OG depth. Maybe even a RB late in the draft.....that's far more requests than we have draft picks but hopefully we can fill most of our needs. Hopefully we are aggressive in free agency and go after quality

Comment

• DRAFT ORDER

1st Round
                            CB/DE
                            CB - Marcus McCauley hands down the best nfl prospect(size, build and speed to be the other good corner we need)

DE - If we decide to move to a 3/4 finally i'd say we pick up Adam Carriker from Nebraska as he's a big guy that can move.

DE - If we stay in a 4/3 then a more athletic DE like Victor Abiamiri.

2nd Round
                            DE/CB

CB - Fred Bennett of South Carolina, has a lot of upside and would be a good nickel CB until Deltha is done.

DE - Tim Crowder of Texas - Athletic and has good size. Will upgrade our pass rush from what Justin Smith did.

Also, Justin Smith will be gone unless we can sign him resonable. We might also take another lineback to replace Odell in the 3rd round since he wont be back as meth is a hard drug to beat.....

Comment

• Good first post but we dont have a 3rd round pick this year.
                              Who Dey & Go Bucks
                              The Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• I have never heard anyone within the organization mention the idea of going to a 3-4. With downlinemen like Geathers, J. Smith(who is likely gone) and Frostee Rucker, they would all have to convert to OLBer and that is asking alot to have numerous guys switching positions. Also, Sam Adams was at his best as a 4-3 guy with the Ravens and I have to admit that I don't see him taking up to blockers too often anymore. I think we will remain a 4-3 and unless Bresnahan goes away, it seems we will be a very passive 4-3 that allows QBs to scan the field forever before making a throw.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information