Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one that thinks Tank Tyler is just a terrible pick?

Okoye I guess I can live with although I don't think it's likely, Tank Tyler is a clone of Sam Adams (now) and Shaun Smith in that he plays a few plays and he's shot... He also isn't great for the pass rush so what good would he do?

I'm really starting to consider Patrick Willis (if we re-sign Justin Smith only though).

Playmaker in the middle with him, put Ahmad at SLB then Landon at WLB. We have great backups in Jeanty/Caleb/Nicholson/Pollack?.

Then round 2 Fred Bennett/Chris Houston/Josh Wilson/Aaron Ross.

Round 4/5 go with OL and S, round 6 be creative and in the 7th go with Celek.

My dream offseason...

1. Re-Sign Justin Smith, Kevin Kaeshviharn, Landon Johnson, Anthony Wright, Doug Johnson, Kenny Watson, Chris Perry, Reggie Kelly, Tony Stewart, Scott Kooistra, Stacy Andrews, Shaun Smith, Caleb Miller, Rashad Bauman and Kyle Larson.

Draft:

Round 1. Patrick Willis | MLB | Ole Miss.
    Round 2. Chris Houston | CB | Arkansas
    Round 4. Michael Johnson | S | Arizona
    Round 5. Mansfield Wrotto | OG | Georgia Tech
    Round 6. Yamon Figures| WR | Kansas State
    Round 7. Brent Celek | TE | Cincinnati

That draft gives us a playmaker at LB, a #2 CB, future S, project backup OG, blazing returner and a TE to groom to become the starter.

Comment

• Well guys I made my 1st round pick in the Mock Draft and I took Paul Posluszny. Timmons and Willis were both gone before him.

Comment

• I can live with that pick. He's an intelligent guy that will be a help probably immediately and may never be a real impact player but will be a solid player in the league for years.,

Comment

• Originally posted by gonzo1105
          Well guys I made my 1st round pick in the Mock Draft and I took Paul Posluszny. Timmons and Willis were both gone before him.
          Yeah, I would be happy with Posluszny being picked there in reality. Especially if worse comes to worst and it turns out we're not getting Pollack or Thurman back. This would be an even more essential pick if Landon Johnson and/or Caleb Miller leave via free agency.

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          Am I the only one that thinks Tank Tyler is just a terrible pick?
          Yes, you are all alone here in the Twilight Zone. Lol. :)
          Seriously though, I certainly wouldn't say he'd be a terrible pick. I'd rather have a young phenom in Okoye or some DB help in Griffin, but I'd be almost as pleased with Tyler as well.

Don't forget, this man is coming from a line that had three guys picked in the first last year (Williams, McCargo, Lawson) one of whom was Marvin's dream pick (Lawson) and Tyler still stepped up this year without their help and performed very well -obviously, well enough to be considered a first round pick despite not playing much before this year.

Comment

• Tank Tyler is just like Shaun Smith and Sam Adams in that he plays a few plays and he's done. He's a run stuffer that we don't really need at this point. Plus he's a reach at 18 and we don't need to reach for a DT. Okoye maybe but Tyler would do little to improve our team.

Yes, I remember Marvin being in love with Lawson but that was because of his speed and athleticism, something Tyler lacks (obviously, being a big ole DT and all ) so that will have nothing to do with Marvin's opinion.

A guy that I think might be a Marvin Lewis type guy in round 2 is Aaron Rouse. Great combo of speed and size at Saftey and has the potential to move to LB.

What does everyone think about if Leon Hall fell to us (magically)? He really doesn't seem like the greatest fit and lacks the speed Marvin loves so to me he wouldn't be a lock pick there for us.

Still, my current favorite darkhorse pick is Patrick Willis. To put up the numbers he did with the small Dline he had is pretty amazing and he would be the playmaker we so desperately need.

Comment

• What do you guys think about Dan Bazuin. I think he was 2nd in the nation in sacks in 05 and had 10 last year. He's a very hard worker and I would love to see him there for us in Rd 2. 6'3" 270 and runs a 4.70 is pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by rickscott
                What do you guys think about Dan Bazuin. I think he was 2nd in the nation in sacks in 05 and had 10 last year. He's a very hard worker and I would love to see him there for us in Rd 2. 6'3" 270 and runs a 4.70 is pretty good.
                I love Bazuin. I'd enjoy seeing him become a Bengal, just maybe not quite as high as the second.
                I'd rather see a 3rd round pick aquired and used for Bazuin, but even according to this website, 2nd round could be just a bit high for him as of right now.
                I don't understand why his draft stock isn't higher than it is, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it rose considerably during the combine (since the pro scouts will get a much better comparison of him than Central Michigan's competition gave them.)
                So maybe the Bengals second round pick would be a good place for Bazuin.

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                Tank Tyler is just like Shaun Smith and Sam Adams in that he plays a few plays and he's done. He's a run stuffer that we don't really need at this point. Plus he's a reach at 18 and we don't need to reach for a DT. Okoye maybe but Tyler would do little to improve our team.

Yes, I remember Marvin being in love with Lawson but that was because of his speed and athleticism, something Tyler lacks (obviously, being a big ole DT and all ) so that will have nothing to do with Marvin's opinion.

A guy that I think might be a Marvin Lewis type guy in round 2 is Aaron Rouse. Great combo of speed and size at Saftey and has the potential to move to LB.

What does everyone think about if Leon Hall fell to us (magically)? He really doesn't seem like the greatest fit and lacks the speed Marvin loves so to me he wouldn't be a lock pick there for us.

Still, my current favorite darkhorse pick is Patrick Willis. To put up the numbers he did with the small Dline he had is pretty amazing and he would be the playmaker we so desperately need.
                You have a point, and I would rather have Okoye, but I don't think it would be a "terrible" pick if they took Tyler in the first.

What I meant by saying that he came off the same line as all those other guys is that Marvin has to like their philosophy when it comes to raising D-linemen. Otherwise he wouldn't have been nearly so excited about the prospect of nabbing Manny Lawson.

I wonder, with all of Marvin's good work this last year, where we could have been with a big, fast, athletic guy like Manny Lawson along the D-line.
                Ahh, to dream of what might have been with all the pass-rush that Lawson could have potentially brought. Curses! Foiled by San Francisco again! lol. ;)

I can't disagree with Aaron Rouse; he seems like a Mike B. type of pick. As I've said several times now, I'd be happier with Michael Griffin to shore up our D-backfield but Aaron Rouse could be just as helpful.
                Who knows with VA Tech guys what your going to get? They're almost always either "questionable" character guys (The Vicks, Jimmy Williams, etc.) or super high quality players (Michael Vick -again-, DeAngelo Hall etc.) with high-end motors and bad dispositions on the field.

Rouse is certainly big enough, fast enough, and nasty enough to play.

I really don't think I'd like to have Leon Hall be our first pick. I don't like the way he plays and I'm not a big fan of Michigan DBs (Marlin Jackson etc.) I agree with you, I don't think he'd fit that well or be the type of player Marvin wants.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Patrick Willis the guy that played almost an entire season with a broken arm the season before last? That really says something about the man.

Tough, fast, agile. Patrick Willis would be a good pick. My favorite thing about Willis is that he's a CHARACTER guy. Who knows what a young beast of a LB with a great prescence off the field could do for us?
                Unfortunately, by the draft I don't think Willis will be a "Dark Horse" anymore. There's been a shortage of quality inside linebackers recently and I think once the drafters see that he's one of that rare breed, his stock will shoot straight up the charts.

I'd be as happy with that pick as I would be Griffin or Okoye (especially assuming we don't get Thurman or Pollack back.)

Comment

• Hey guys just thought i'd keep you updated on the mock draft, if you dont know i'm the Cinci GM and i just took Victor Abiamari DE Notre Dame in the 2nd so so far its

Paul Posluszny LB Penn State
                  Victor Abiamari DE Notre Dame
                  Ahmad Brooks LB(3rd round supplemental draft)

Comment

• Dan Bazuin will be a second round DE when all is said and done. He had 16.5 sacks in his Junior season and over 10 this year. Just this week in the East-West game he had 2.5 sacks against the best seniors out there. He would be a great pick in the second round.
                    Who Dey & Go Bucks
                    The Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Via Bengals.com Marvin said that he is entertaining the idea of putting the franchise tag on Justin Smith. Whether that will be to trade him or try and sign him long term I'm unsure.

It'd be nice to sign him but with the depth of DE in the draft this year it's not a necessity.

Comment

• Bengals fans, Another Bengal arrested. This time it's Jonathan Joseph with grass. This is getting very old......

Comment

• Who would've thought, a NFL player smoking grass... Unheard of

Eh, this one doesn't bother me. DUI's are bad, riding in a car with weed is stupid but you can do a whole lot worse.

These NKY cops aren't too good about letting players off the hook, that might be as much of our problem as anything

Comment

• Yeah it'd be interesting to know how many Steelers are let off by Pittsburgh cops....

Comment

• Still, Don't you think this shows a total lack of respect for Marvin Lewis with the problems we had this past year and with him closing out the year with a tough talk? It seems now, Joseph will have to be sat down although it will likely be in preseason in order for Marvin not to look like he was all talk and no action. It just pisses me off that these guys continue to get in trouble. When have we last read about a Patriot or a Colt? This really doesn't happen with EVERY NFL team.

Comment

• I know where you're coming from Rick... Mostly it's just flat out bad luck. Of all the guys that have been busted only a few were bad character guys. Joseph/Deltha/Steinbach/Askew/McNeal didn't really have a bad rap, Joseph was even considered good character.

This will be a Ravens esque thing. Around for a few years then it will dissapear entirely.

It just PISSES me off when people act like Marvin has no control of the team. Having no control over the team means them making bad statements to the press, bashing teammates, missing practices/meetings. That doesn't happen around here, just players being idiots in their spare time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information