This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    Well, we're 18th in YPC so that agrees with the 17th in YPG. The run D just as it has the past 2 seasons has really improved as the season progressed.

I wouldn't say to ignore WR in the later rounds this year. I mean our 4th WR yesterday was freaking Glenn Holt and Kwash will bolt, who knows if Chatman will stay. Then after next season I believe Henry is a RFA and who knows someone might take a chance on him. That leaves CJ, TJ, Tab and unproven Bennie Brazell. With that said, WR is a definete day 2 need rounds 5-7.

Our kick returners are just doomed. Tab (IR), Chatman (IR), Chris Perry (IR) and now Glenn Holt takes it, I honestly don't know who'll get it next if he's hurt.
    I guess the run defense isn't that bad, although I think it would get worse over the course of a game if the defense got worn down.

As far as WR goes, next year I think CJ, TJ, Henry, Perry, and Brazell is an excellent core. If some sleeper falls to them or a guy with a nice size/speed combo, or even just good speed or size, falls down to them at a very good value then I guess it wouldn't be a terrible pick. I'd rather wait till the year after though and get a good small speedster in rounds 2 or 3. But if somebody who is a good fit for the slot falls to any spot, you're right it probably makes sense to take them. But I'd rather take a boom or bust guy this year later and if Henry leaves then look for a slot guy later on day 1.

Comment

The one good thing that would come from someone taking Henry is that we would get very good compensation.

In '08 after losing Steinbach and possibly Justin Smith we could have 3 3rd round picks. Marvin could be deadly with those (as long as he doesn't take another Frostee Rucker :roll: )

DE round 1 and Saftey round 2, possibly LB round 2. That's what we're looking at. The need for DE is too great and the quality to be had round one is so solid that it works out perfect for us.

I really think saftey will be the second rounder. We need depth and a playmaker at the saftey spot, Jackson isn't durable enough and KK is just a solid backup. LB is always a possibility with Marvin, all pending on whether Pollack plays again and if Odell is cut or even considered again.

If Pollack retires and Odell is cut that leaves Ahmad, Caleb, Jeanty, Landon, Nicholson and I'm not sure Simmons will be a Bengal next year. I must say Jeanty has been very impressive. Still I think our LB core is solid but not spectacular. We need playmakers on the defensive side, especially in the front 4. It'd be nice to address WLB.

I honestly think our defense is a DE and playmaking saftey away from being very solid.

Comment

I am going to start this off by saying that I am going to assume that we finish the season at 8-8 or at best 9-7. That would give us a pick between 16-22. Lets go ahead and say that we average a 19th pick. Please tell me what you think. I can take the criticism and welcome it.

Round 1. Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State Sr, 6-3, 295: I feel that he is the second best DT in the draft behind Alan Branch. Quinn would fit perfect into our 4-3 base defense and could also play DE when we switch to 3-4. Sam Adams and John Thornton are unproductive and old. Pitcock and Peko in the middle would look great for years to come.

Round 2. Aaron Ross, CB, Texas Sr, 6-1, 192: Currently leads the team with 5 interceptions and is third in tackles. This would be the 51st pick. I have him as the 6th best CB in the draft with Leon Hall, Marcus McCauley, Antoine Cason, Darrelle Revis, Daymeion Hughes all ahead of him. Another positive about him is that he is the punt returner for the Longhorns.

Round 3. Ahmad Brooks (2006)

Round 4. Justin Warren, ILB, Texas A&M Sr, 6-3, 245: Teams leading tackler by a mile. Ideal size and strength for an ILB. Scary to think that Odell and Pollack could not be back next year and Simmons is no longer a speedster. This would work well if we switch to a 3-4 but would also add depth, which we all know we need at this postion.

Round 5. Tra Battle, FS, Georgia Sr, 5-11, 185: A killer tackler with blitzing skills from the safety position. Tra would be a special teams maniac. A future starter after Jackson is gone. KK might be gone to free agency after this season. He would be a steal at this position, plus he is a Georgia Bulldog. They play great football down there and have outstanding coaches. Might be way to late to get him, still not sure yet.

Round 6. John Beck, QB, BYU Sr, 6-1, 218: AMAZING ARM STRENGHT. Can throw a ball 75 yards. Guaranteed to make any throw at the next level. Reads defenses well, makes quality adjustments, and makes quick checkdowns on receivers. Good pocket presence and fairly agile. Has played under 2 head coaches and two different offensive schemes, progressing quickly into new system. Gun slinger who would fit into the Matt Schaub type of a career backup who could manage an offense in a pinch behind Carson. It would be nice to get a backup that will be around for a while.

Round 7. Brent Celek, TE, University of Cincinnati Sr, 6'4", 260: Great runner after the catch. Averages 15 yards a catch this season. Hometown product who is the all-time leading receiver as TE for the Bearcats. Just what the fans wanted... a TE.

Tell me what you guys think. What would you change? Do you like the positions that were picked? Who Dey
        Who Dey & Go Bucks
        The Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Comment

I honestly think we'll finish 10-6 but anything could happen, I hope I'm right

The thing about your draft is where is the DE? Justin Smith will likely be allowed to leave via FA so that leaves Geathers/Robinson/Rucker(LOL). We really have a big need for a pass rushing impact DE such as Quentin Moses or Lamar Woodley. I think Woodley would be a fantastic fit for our offense.

We just struggle to generate a consistent pass rush off the edges, the DT's haven't been terrible of late in stopping the run and I'm waiting for Shaun Smith to get more PT... He was solid at DT last season.

As for Ross... If he has the potential to move to saftey I love the pick. It'd be nice to take a versitile DB second round so we could have depth at saftey/cornerback since I wouldn't doubt Tory James being gone after this year. Then we could have a backup CB (behind Joseph/Deltha) and a backup saftey and he could move into a starting spot when injuries occurred.

I'm not so sure we move to 3-4. The only way I really see that happening is if Breshnahan moves on and we get a DC that comes from a 3-4 defense.

I like the Celek pick, we need a TE but late rounds and he wouldn't be bad at all.

Stick around man, it's lonely in here

Comment

I didn't hae a DE because I believe Woodley will be gone by the time we pick. If we cannot get a starting DE in the first 2 rounds then I don't think we should draft one. I am torn on this though. If we don't spend money on Smith then who do we spend it on. Our offense is locked up for years to come and is there a DE free agent that you would rather have instead on Smith? I drafted for value and not just to fill a position. If Woodley is there in the first round then I take him over Pitcock but that kills me to say becasue I am a huge buckeye fan. As far a Ross goes he could immediatly step into the nickle back situation with James leaving hopefully. Ross also returns punts for Texas so bye bye Ratliff say hello to dime coverage. Tra Battle will fight for the safety spot but KK has not played bad this year if you look at his numbers.
            Who Dey & Go Bucks
            The Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Comment

I see where you're coming from then with your picks.

I just think the contract that Smith will demand will be too much. I'd love to re-sign him but I'm not so sure I see it happening.

Regardless the first two rounds we must address DB and DL, I'm not that picky on which position. I don't see any intriguing LB prospects that Marvin might want to take a shot at.

Comment

With so many question marks on defense on whose going to come back its hard to predict the draft. One thing I know is RB and WR should not even be considered. I know Perry is always injured but I think Quincy Wilson can come in for Rudi in case he goes down. Also we have CJ, TJ, Tab, Mcneal, Braziel, and im pretty sure we resign Chris so we are set at WR. O-line shouldnt be a concern either because we have great depth already. I could see us taking a TE in the draft though. If some how Greg Olsen were to slip to round 2 I hope we take him in a heart beat. The rest should be used on defense. D-line and S mostly. LB should be good if Pollack and Thurman are back. Jeanty, AJ, and Brooks provide great young depth. I could care less if we resign Smith or Simmons because they havnt wowed me a single time there whole careers. Madieu could use some help especially someone really solid like a Laron Landry or Griffin in round one or Rouse or Merriweather later on day one. CB is a postion that we can wait on. JJ is progressing fine and we still have Keiwan to play nickel. Tory James will probably be out and we have some decent depth behind them in Bauman. Overall this draft better be defense defense defense. My dream draft might go something like this

1. Quentin Moses DE UGA (I can still dream)
                2. Greg Olsen TE UM
                4. Aaron Rouse S/OLB VT
                5. Marcus Thomas DT UF (yes I know more character risks, but the kid can play)
                6. Baraka Atkins DE UM
                7. Josh Gattis S WF

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.

Comment

I see where you're coming from then with your picks.

I just think the contract that Smith will demand will be too much. I'd love to re-sign him but I'm not so sure I see it happening.

Regardless the first two rounds we must address DB and DL, I'm not that picky on which position. I don't see any intriguing LB prospects that Marvin might want to take a shot at.
                  I have to believe that there is going to be some DE, be it Abiamiri, Crowder, some riser, anyone, that is more worth taking in the first than Pitcock.

You talking about Shaun Smith demanding a big contract? Not sure who you're going with there.

I definitely agree with the last thing you said, DB and DL need to be addressed.

Comment

lol I meant Justin Smith... I guess I should be more specific with a name like Smith

I agree about having a solid saftey if they were there but I'd rather take saftey round 2. Saftey is a position that it's easy to grab a solid player at later points in the draft (see Landry/Ko Simpson this year).

You know there will be some DE's that have their stock rise or drop drastically in the coming months (Manny Lawson/Kiwanuka last year).

Who knows, maybe Moses will drop (I doubt it).

My dream first rounder at this point though is Lamar Woodley, he's just a pass rushing fool that would be absolutely perfect for our defense.

Comment

lol I meant Justin Smith... I guess I should be more specific with a name like Smith

I agree about having a solid saftey if they were there but I'd rather take saftey round 2. Saftey is a position that it's easy to grab a solid player at later points in the draft (see Landry/Ko Simpson this year).

You know there will be some DE's that have their stock rise or drop drastically in the coming months (Manny Lawson/Kiwanuka last year).

Who knows, maybe Moses will drop (I doubt it).

My dream first rounder at this point though is Lamar Woodley, he's just a pass rushing fool that would be absolutely perfect for our defense.
                      I agree with getting a solid safety day 2. Great guys can be found on the second day. The guy in my sig is having a Pro Bowl type year in his second season and was a 4th round pick. There are tons of great safeties that get found in the second.

I've said it before, I think Woodley is the pick, just a gut feeling. He'd be a great pick for this defense. Either way, theres going to be somebody at DE who rises or falls like you said and we'll be in the perfect position to snatch them come draft day. I have to believe unless an absolute stud like Landry, Hall, or Branch falls into our laps the pick is going to have to be a DE.

Comment

Weather will be terrible for tomorrow. Rain/Thunder and 10 MPH winds.

Given how lackluster our running game has been and how great our passing game has been this doesn't look good.

Comment

The boys better come to play today. If we lose this one our chances are very very slim.

Regardless of the weather we still need to produce.

11-5, BELIEVE!!!!!!!

Comment

Weather will be terrible for tomorrow. Rain/Thunder and 10 MPH winds.

Given how lackluster our running game has been and how great our passing game has been this doesn't look good.
                            Has the running game really looked that poor, or has it been partially due to not running the ball enough? I mean it hasn't been as good as it was at other points in the year, but it's not terrible either. Just my opinion.

Either way, getting Rudi going and stopping Lewis will be keys to this game, as will not turning the ball over. I've got to believe whoever takes care of the ball better wins this game.

Also, on the bright side we could get some defensive stops on 3rd down and passing distance with the weather.

I'm looking forward to actually being able to watch this game, I don't get to see many Cincy games being from Jersey.

Comment

i have a question. Who is more important to the bengels? CJ or Carson?? i was just wondering what you guys thought.

Comment

good game everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information