Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cincinnati Bengals Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
    ahahah Alot of people rode that bus. I didnt really ride that bus...I remember defending Gresham picks in mock draft for about 2 months and just gave up. However I did always support Earl Thomas if he was there...and I did support the "If Dez Thomas was there we would take him" bus.

    Still whether we were wrong or right its gunna be nice when Gresham kicks butt!
    With who was left and the fall of Sergio, I was really glad Jermaine was the pick.

    bonekrusher
    The Twitters
    themaninblack

    Comment


    • Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
      ahahah Alot of people rode that bus. I didnt really ride that bus...I remember defending Gresham picks in mock draft for about 2 months and just gave up. However I did always support Earl Thomas if he was there...and I did support the "If Dez Thomas was there we would take him" bus.

      Still whether we were wrong or right its gunna be nice when Gresham kicks butt!
      Seconded. I would have taken Thomas in stride because he could play some corner this year, defend the slot, and take over a starting spot in 2011. We don't have a whole lot of instinctive ball-hawks and we could use a playmaker like Thomas in the secondary. I couldn't be more excited though as I feel like everyone will really notice Gresham's impact this year.

      big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

      Comment


      • I sure hope you're right Pudgy. The man has immense talent and the frame/desire to be a capable blocker with some refinement. Given what went down on draft day I do think he was the right pick. I wanted Dez because the dude's just a monster but Gresh definitely fits the team better with his lack of character concerns and he probably fills a more pressing need at this point.

        Hopefully Antonio Bryant will prove to be a worthy signing as well. I think this pick shows their confidence in him and I hope they're right about that.

        ^A Bonekrusher production^
        #15
        Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

        Comment


        • Originally posted by themaninblack View Post
          I sure hope you're right Pudgy. The man has immense talent and the frame/desire to be a capable blocker with some refinement. Given what went down on draft day I do think he was the right pick. I wanted Dez because the dude's just a monster but Gresh definitely fits the team better with his lack of character concerns and he probably fills a more pressing need at this point.

          Hopefully Antonio Bryant will prove to be a worthy signing as well. I think this pick shows their confidence in him and I hope they're right about that.
          Bryant can't be any worse then Coles last year.

          Really i think the only thing that can hold this offense back is the pass protection. It started to improve some down the stretch that will be the key to how well the offense does this year. That and avoiding injuries.
          Smith should be better at RT then Roland last year hopefully he can stay healthy.

          Palmer really has no excuses this year if he struggles and the OL plays well. The idea this offseason was to give Palmer more weapons and they have clearly done that.


          RIP themaninblack

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
            I said Graham was a project and didnt want him.
            I rode the "we dont use TE as a receiver" bus lol.

            But if people gave us him when Earl and Kindle were there I was sad about it.
            I know, I'm just buggin you and I was one that bus too. I didn't really want Gresham unless a lot of other guys were gone. Hopefully he does well for us and has a productive career
            R.I.P Chris 'Slim' Henry

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
              Palmer really has no excuses this year if he struggles and the OL plays well. The idea this offseason was to give Palmer more weapons and they have clearly done that.
              If Palmer still struggles in an otherwise good situation (weapons stay healthy, decent run game, OL protects him) how much more time do you guys think the organization will keep him around? At that point Palmer's pretty much holding the team back more than anything else, but I wonder if they show any loyalty.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                If Palmer still struggles in an otherwise good situation (weapons stay healthy, decent run game, OL protects him) how much more time do you guys think the organization will keep him around? At that point Palmer's pretty much holding the team back more than anything else, but I wonder if they show any loyalty.
                Palmer is not going anywhere. When Mike Brown starts thinking about cutting Palmer I'll mail him a DvD with Akili Smith / Jon Kitna / every other non franchise QB we've had as a starter.

                Palmer isn't the best franchise QB in the league, maybe he's near the bottom of the list even. But he is a franchise QB and a guy who can take you places. I think it would be a mistake to risk everything by trying to get someone better in place of him.

                As far as the Gresham pick goes, I really liked it. I talked to PalmerToCJ right before the draft and we both wanted Dezzy B, but I think Gresham was still a good pick.

                I wanted Dez Bryant because I feel our future at WR looks bad. Simpson is borderline making the roster this year, Caldwell doesn't seem like he'll ever amount to anything more than a slot WR and Chad is old. That left Antonio Bryant and Matt Jones as our future.

                I think Gresham is the better fit for our team, all around. However, I still think my concerns over the receiver position and the future are legitimate (or at least were). I don't think Shipley, Briscoe or Caldwell can ever be more than a #2. That means we have 2 options:

                1) Resign Chad next year.

                2) Don't resign Chad and let Antonio take the #1 spot.

                No one else on the roster can play that position, and I highly doubt any rookie will be able to step in (in 2011). The problem is, we might start seeing signs of Chad slowing down and we have no idea how Antonio will perform in this atmosphere (he could be Coles 2.0 for us).

                I wanted Dez to free up some of the question marks for 2011. Not because I thought he was a better overall fit for the team.

                In the end though, I concede that it would have been a bad decision to draft Dez over Gresham. I think Gresham is an amazing fit for us, and I think we can use him to help us win games now and he may end up holding that spot down for the next 10+ years.

                Comment


                • I hope I'm wrong about Palmer but with everything I've seen the last 2 years i dont think I am. The bad thing is if he struggles again the bengals will be drafting pretty high and may be in the running for one of the top 3 guys that should be in the draft next year....Mallet, Locker, and Luck. Out of those 3 I feel Mallet has the best tools and ability to make it as a star in the League. The other 2 may be very productive but they have some more work to do then Mallet. I really wish Cinci would have taken one of the second tier QB's in this past draft like Pike. Just as a backup plan. I'm very hopefull that the Gresham pick will help him out by opening up the middle of the field more. Palmer has shown he likes to dump off passes to the Tight Ends. The bad part has been the stone hands that have played there the last 2 years.

                  Comment


                  • If you're right and Palmer does struggle this year (which I don't think he will), why do you think Mike Brown would throw a bunch of money at a QB this year?

                    realistically, Mike Brown will ride Palmer's struggles for at least 2-3 more years.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                      If you're right and Palmer does struggle this year (which I don't think he will), why do you think Mike Brown would throw a bunch of money at a QB this year?

                      realistically, Mike Brown will ride Palmer's struggles for at least 2-3 more years.
                      What he said right there. I would just wait for Matt Barkley to come out.


                      RIP themaninblack

                      Comment


                      • I had a few reasons why I thought/wanted Bryant...

                        1. He just fits the typical Mike Brown pick
                        2. I'm also worried about the future at WR, I really don't think CJ re-signs and I'm not sold on Bryant.
                        3. They just don't value TE's that much (no matter how bad we need one)

                        I'm not against the Gresham pick, just wasn't my favorite. If Bryant were gone, I would've had zero issue with it.

                        I think this is a big year for Palmer... He should have adequate (not great) weapons. Not to mention coming off a playoff year with what should be another strong defense, it's time to produce.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                          If you're right and Palmer does struggle this year (which I don't think he will), why do you think Mike Brown would throw a bunch of money at a QB this year?

                          realistically, Mike Brown will ride Palmer's struggles for at least 2-3 more years.

                          I do think Mike Brown would throw a bunch of money at a QB. If you remember he did draft David Klingler and Akili Smith before he actually got one right with Palmer. In the past he has also paid good money for free agents like Scott Mitchell, and Gus Ferrott. Unless something happens with the CBA dont be shocked if Palmer struggles pretty bad to see him get let go like they did with Coles since it wont count against any salary cap.

                          Comment


                          • I am a Giants fan, but I had a question for the Jungle...


                            I wanted to know who your Mike linebacker was? I thought it was Dhani Jones. Was Mauluga in for three downs? Where was he used? Mike or Sam?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by touchdownmaker View Post
                              I am a Giants fan, but I had a question for the Jungle...


                              I wanted to know who your Mike linebacker was? I thought it was Dhani Jones. Was Mauluga in for three downs? Where was he used? Mike or Sam?
                              Dhani is our MLB as of right now, but it's clear to see that they're prepping Rey to slide in to the middle once he leaves. Last year, Rey played Sam with Rivers at Will.


                              worker bees can leave
                              even drones can fly away
                              the queen is their slave

                              themaninblack
                              15

                              Comment


                              • Rey was our SAM.
                                Dhani was our MIKE.

                                Rey is the heir apparent to the MIKE spot in a year or so.

                                bonekrusher
                                The Twitters
                                themaninblack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information