Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    Agree with the notion about Crabtree. Since Curry will almost certainly be gone, the only other guy I think we could realistically consider and still get the full value at #5 is Crabtree. I think our draft board could resemble this:
    1-Aaron Curry
    2-Mike Crabtree
    3/4-Either Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo

    Or I could be totally wrong, but that's my speculation.


    Since you guys were talking about 2005, who do you guys think we would've taken if Braylong Edwards was not there?
    From what I remember, I think I remember a lot of people pimping Antrel Rolle and a debate between Edwards and Mike Williams.

    What sucks for Rolle and the Cardinals is that after they drafted him, they changed the rules on pass coverage which completely screwed him, because he was a big physical corner... so now he's a safety.

    Comment


    • I always thought Antrel was a S not a CB.

      But seriously-a WR over a 34 OLB or 34 NT?-it's really no contest.
      Last edited by Brown Leader; 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM.

      Originally posted by borg9
      Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
        I always thought Antrel was a S not a CB.

        But seriously-a WR over a 34OLB?-it's really no contest.
        You obviously don't remember how that draft went down.

        Dallas taking Ware at their pick was a surprise at the time, especially in front of Merriman

        Comment


        • I think we would've taken RB, Ronnie Brown if he was there, if not then probably Benson. Maybe Aaron Rodgers but I don't remember how interested we were in him.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
            You obviously don't remember how that draft went down.

            Dallas taking Ware at their pick was a surprise at the time, especially in front of Merriman
            We had talent evaluators same as them-but I'm getting at the draft philosophy of Savage. Especially in the north you need to be competitive in the trenches. We're far better off now than then but still have glaring holes at OLB and DE.

            Point is you learn from mistakes. Braylon was a record setter in 07' but generally if your rebuilding you don't start with a WR. Games are won upfront on both sides of the ball. I'm hoping he returns to form but as is, I don't think he cares to stay. Meriman ought to have been #1 on their board, roids and all.

            Originally posted by borg9
            Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

            Comment


            • Show me where a DE who was changed to be a LB that early on in the draft before that year... it was unheard of

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                We had talent evaluators same as them-but I'm getting at the draft philosophy of Savage. Especially in the north you need to be competitive in the trenches. We're far better off now than then but still have glaring holes at OLB and DE.

                Point is you learn from mistakes. Braylon was a record setter in 07' but generally if your rebuilding you don't start with a WR. Games are won upfront on both sides of the ball. I'm hoping he returns to form but as is, I don't think he cares to stay. Meriman ought to have been #1 on their board, roids and all.
                truth, but if you are picking in the top 5, maybe even the top 10, you should take the BPA with need in mind and draft for need with BPA in mind with all your picks later than the top 5-10. Edwards was a good pick, he was the only guy in the whole top ten to pan out in 2005. It would've been better to take Ware or Merriman, but it makes a lot of sense why they didn't go top 5 at the time. Retrospectively they should've gone a lot higher but there were some questions about both coming out that made them slide to 11 and 12.

                Comment


                • That's true BE was regarded BPA-but Savage's lean was always on a passing offense-that was a mistake.

                  Certainly now-a 34 OLB or even 34 NT makes more sense than a WR. A WR who is not a top 5 lock due to valid questions.

                  Suggs is probably the highest DE/LB I can think of recently(#10)-though Peppers (#2) could have always played LB. Who knows? Maby a trade down was possible? Anyways...

                  Hey if Crab is the pick-then let him go all pro. But I'm not sold and don't want to see us pass potential pro bowl rushers for our 34. This defense is only going to work if we get dominant edge rushers-and it is possible to win without star WR's.

                  Originally posted by borg9
                  Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

                  Comment


                  • I think there are few who disagree with the notion that we should take a defensive player and get pass rush help over a WR even if it means passing on better value, however the fact that you have to take the hand that's dealt to you sometimes might make that not be the case IMO....

                    ...Edwards has 1 year left on his deal and is a nuisance to say the least and drops too many passes for a guy with his talent and contract. Not only might Braylon be gone one way or another in a year or less, but we have no #2 or #3 WR to fall back on, we have nothing outside of Edwards and if he's gone we're screwed and the development of Quinn might be hindered. With all the first day picks we could get out of DA and/or Edwards trades we could afford to take BPA at 5 and draft for need elsewhere....

                    ...We would like to fix our pass rush, but if Crabtree is there I would have no problems passing on the risky reaches of Brown/Orakpo and then getting a pass rusher at a better value a little later in the first day. Heck, we might get lucky and be able to acquire a proven pass rusher like Kiwanuka for a 2nd round pick and worry less about developing a DE and transitioning him to OLB. I'm 100% behind building from the trenches out, though I'm also behind the organization if they don't think Orakpo/Brown are gonna be special and take Crabtree. It might be important to get some pass rushers, but it's important too to have someone who can make plays in the passing game with Quinn.

                    Dont get me wrong though, I'm of the opinion that we should draft a pass rusher in round one and even if we trade Braylon we'd be better off taking a guy like Nicks or Britt in round 2 if we're gonna draft a WR at all.

                    Comment


                    • I don't see Braylon getting moved at all. You're not going to get enough value for him and we know he has the potential to be a top receiver in the league.

                      Comment


                      • I hope we extend him and don't worry about trading him and depleting our WR corps. He's a headcase, but it's rare these days to find a top wideout who isn't to some degree.

                        Comment


                        • Personally, I think his situation is perfect.

                          He's got one year left on his contract. There is a one year audition to see if Mangini and the staff like him, if he likes the staff, etc.

                          If it works out, get a new deal done.

                          If it doesn't work out, franchise him and find him a home.

                          Comment


                          • Baltimore apparently only put the low tender on Dawan Landry, so we'd only have to give up a 5th to sign him. I saw we poison pill the bleep out of those scumbags and steal him away for our 4th roudner(we don't have a 5th). He's young and he's a baller.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by CantStopGregJones View Post
                              Baltimore apparently only put the low tender on Dawan Landry, so we'd only have to give up a 5th to sign him. I saw we poison pill the bleep out of those scumbags and steal him away for our 4th roudner(we don't have a 5th). He's young and he's a baller.
                              Didn't he also have some sort of severe neck injury last year?
                              When will commissioner Goodell ban Al Davis from making football decisions?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
                                Didn't he also have some sort of severe neck injury last year?
                                against us if memory serves

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information