Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If not, he has Anderson on his trail
    When a third string qb is contesting your starter, you need change.

Comment

How is DCutch gone? I'd really like to know that. He's not an injury prone player, minor arthroscopic knee surgery is nothing, he just wasn't healing as fast as they wanted him to. His contract is not over, he's not overpayed, and he's a consistent player who works hard all the time. Putting him on the IR so soon this past season really hurt our depth.

Please enlighten me, or at least let me know where you get the idea from.

Comment

Originally posted by snazel
        Originally posted by Hail Browns
        It would also be nice to sign a DE. Our run D is atrocious, and we lost quite a few games this year because people ran us over. I personally want Terdell Sands to play DE for us. He's MASSIVE and strong, specializes in stopping the run, and would allow our linebackers more space to roam and make plays..
        Actually Sands was just resigned by the Raiders. I think our next option as far as DE's go is that maybe Kris Jenkins or Cory Redding hit the market. Also, about Carr. There is a rumor floating around that the Browns have already had talks with the Texans about swapping first round picks and picking up another pick and trading Chaun Thompson for Carr. Still in it's "rumor" stages, although I heard more info will come about when the combine rolls around. So regarding the 4th rounder for Carr trade, how would you like swapping Chaun for Carr? I'd do that in a pinch.
        I just saw the thing about Sands, too bad. I think he would've fit well for us. I'd say Cory Redding and MAYBE Robaire Smith could be options, although Smith is up there in years.

I don't want Carr. I've tried my hardest to support the guy because I feel sorry for QB's who take hits constantly behind a horrid o-line. He just hasn't shown me anything that we don't have right now.

As for Chaun Thompson, he's underrated, probably because he doesn't get to play. I was really irritated this year because we didn't rotate any of our players. He's a guy who would be great in a rotation since he can play inside and out. If we're just going to let him waste away on the bench, get rid of him, but I'd like to see him actually get to PLAY again in a Browns uni.

Comment

1st-Alan Branch
          2nd-Joe Staley or Ben Grubbs
          3rd-Dan Bazuin
          4th-Kareem Brown or Antonio Johnson
          5th-David Ball

That's a good draft.

Thanks j05son.

Comment

Davis/Dhiel/Steinbach for guard.
            Doss singed. Russell let go. p.s. I figure Doss to be a cheap sign since we are his 1st choice and we have money and he is better than Russell, allthough I like Russell.
            Fraley resigned.
            Bring in Clements
            That doesn't solve our RT problem, but I like all of the moves you have.

Comment

One final thing, j05son. I am going to disagree with having Doss over Russell. When Russell was on the field he made all the calls for the secondary. He's smart, tough, works hard, and he's usually in the right place at the right time.

Doss is more of a run stopping S. He's not so good in coverage, and no matter how much I like him, I don't think he's better than anything we already have. I would like to see him come to Cleveland, but not at the price of Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyHall#1
                1st-Alan Branch
                2nd-Joe Staley or Ben Grubbs
                3rd-Dan Bazuin
                4th-Kareem Brown or Antonio Johnson
                5th-David Ball

That's a good draft.
                This would be my favorite draft for us. It gives us more depth and talent on the d-line. Someone to block for Droughns, Willie's replacement on the strongside, and a receiver who I think will be surprising if given the chance. I'm not a big fan of Droughns, but I do think he'd be ok behind a better o-line if he shared carries with someone.

If this is what we did, we'd probably try to trade down a few spots to make Branch a better value. That would give us an extra pick that I didn't use in that draft.

Comment

This would be my favorite draft for us. It gives us more depth and talent on the d-line. Someone to block for Droughns, Willie's replacement on the strongside, and a receiver who I think will be surprising if given the chance. I'm not a big fan of Droughns, but I do think he'd be ok behind a better o-line if he shared carries with someone.

If this is what we did, we'd probably try to trade down a few spots to make Branch a better value. That would give us an extra pick that I didn't use in that draft.
                  While I'd still rather have Thomas, trading down and still getting Branch would be a great move.

Also, with our extra pick (3rd round, maybe?) we could afford to take Michael Bush if Droughns doesn't work. Which I don't think he will, even with our revamped o-line.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyHall#1

While I'd still rather have Thomas, trading down and still getting Branch would be a great move.

Also, with our extra pick (3rd round, maybe?) we could afford to take Michael Bush if Droughns doesn't work. Which I don't think he will, even with our revamped o-line.
                    I've never really liked Droughns, so maybe that would work. I think he'd be ok with the revamped line if we ran with 2 rb's. I've always liked the 2-back system as it keeps legs fresh and players don't wear down as quickly. Maybe Droughns/Wright or Droughns/Harrison.

Comment

i'm still not sure why everyone wants a RT so bad. we could use one, but its not a nesecity. did everyone forget that we dont have a RG? i'm sure one of the younger guys will take over that spot, and now that davidson is gone, andruzzi will finally sit out. i'm also completely against the thought of moving bently to G. altho he'd be a great guard, he'd be a highly paid RG.

also, its starting to seem unlikely that staley will fall to us. if he even last's to the second rnd, it looks like raiders will take him, unless they do something stupid and draft a WR in the 2nd rnd.

as far as droughns goes. he's not that good. every keeps saying that he did good in denver, then had 1000 yard season in cleveland. he also set a franchise record for most carries in one season and didnt even average 4ypc. thats how he got to 1200 yrds. he doenst have great vision. he's not as agile as he tries to be. he's a 3rd and short back.

i've also let my hopes go on gettin clements. there's a lot of other teams looking at him, and when baxter comes back, we have 3 startes. i like bodden. dont really like baxter. but he's here and under a nice big contract. its not like our coner's are bad. its that we dont get any pressure on the opposing QB and he has all day to throw that ball.

Dcutch isnt "officially" gone. but as far as i know, he's still not in playing condition. the only word as of now is that he's probably gone.

sorry, this was kind of the "anti" post of everyone else's thoughts.

Comment

Don't forget about Droughns/Bush.

Or, preferably, Bush/Droughns.

Comment

i'm still not sure why everyone wants a RT so bad. we could use one, but its not a nesecity. did everyone forget that we dont have a RG? i'm sure one of the younger guys will take over that spot, and now that davidson is gone, andruzzi will finally sit out. i'm also completely against the thought of moving bently to G. altho he'd be a great guard, he'd be a highly paid RG.
                          I agree with the part about Bentley, but I feel that RT is a much bigger need than RG because of the talent and potential that is at RG, if not the experience. I believe Sowells will step up and take that spot next year. As for RT, I don't think we have anyone there who has what it takes to be a solid starter for 16 weeks, except Schaffer. But moving Schaffer there would give us a need at LT, which is why we should draft Thomas, if he's there.

Comment

I don't post much, but am always reading up on my Brown's, so here is some tidbits I have come up with regarding what I think, though of course I am no expert.

I like to think I am always loyal to the players on my teams, so bear that in mind when I say this: If we are truly striving to be the best team we can be, how can we possibly be happy with Droughns and Fry as our starting RB and QB respectively? Droughns will never be an elite back and Fry will never be a Manning or Favre (I know, few QB's are, but why can't we strive for it, instead of being the Raven's of 2000 with Dilfer or the Bears of this year). So why are so many people against picking a Russell, Quinn or Peterson in the first round.

I know they are not "locks" to be Pro Bowl players, but this idea that we can build around these two has never made sense to me. (It just screams mediocrity)

Now, I know how bad our lines are, but if we can build through FA and the draft (from everything I have seen the 1st three rounds will be flush with linemen), then I say draft the best available talent for round 1, and to me that equals Peterson, Quinn, Russell or even Johnson. The truly successful teams always seem to draft elite players that work out with that first pick, so why can't we?

Besides, and someone tell me if I am right or wrong, I think I read where Savage does not like to draft linemen with the first pick.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. (riveting I know...)

Comment

Originally posted by ChazMonk
                              I don't post much, but am always reading up on my Brown's, so here is some tidbits I have come up with regarding what I think, though of course I am no expert.

I like to think I am always loyal to the players on my teams, so bear that in mind when I say this: If we are truly striving to be the best team we can be, how can we possibly be happy with Droughns and Fry as our starting RB and QB respectively? Droughns will never be an elite back and Fry will never be a Manning or Favre (I know, few QB's are, but why can't we strive for it, instead of being the Raven's of 2000 with Dilfer or the Bears of this year). So why are so many people against picking a Russell, Quinn or Peterson in the first round.

I know they are not "locks" to be Pro Bowl players, but this idea that we can build around these two has never made sense to me. (It just screams mediocrity)

Now, I know how bad our lines are, but if we can build through FA and the draft (from everything I have seen the 1st three rounds will be flush with linemen), then I say draft the best available talent for round 1, and to me that equals Peterson, Quinn, Russell or even Johnson. The truly successful teams always seem to draft elite players that work out with that first pick, so why can't we?

Besides, and someone tell me if I am right or wrong, I think I read where Savage does not like to draft linemen with the first pick.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. (riveting I know...)
                              A ring is a ring, whether you win it with Trent Dilfer or Peyton Manning doesn't matter, and personally, i see enough potential in Frye to be a starting QB. Too early to tell if he is playoff caliber.

You're right, Savage, with the exception of an OT, just doesn't take OL day 1. He believes in getting FA OL and finding guys on day 2, rightfully so though, every year we see starters come from day 2.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

Resign: Hank Fraley, Brian Russell, Simon Fraser

FA: Kris Dielman, Aubrayo Franklin, Jake Scott, Vinny Testaverde

Ideal draft (option 1)- Trade 2nd and 3rd rounder for early 20s 1st rounder.

1. Adrian Peterson- RB
                                1b. Adam Carriker- DE
                                4. James Marten- OT
                                5. Kenny Scott- CB
                                6. Louis Leonard- NT
                                7. Yamon Figurs- PR/WR

OL-
                                LT- Kevin Shaffer
                                LG- Kris Dielman
                                C- Hank Fraley
                                RG- Jake Scott
                                RT- James Marten

DL-
                                DE- Orpheus Roye, Simon Fraser
                                NT- Aubrayo Franklin, Ethan Kelly
                                DE- Adam Carriker, Orien Harris

Option 2.

1. Jamaal Anderson- DE
                                2. Tony Hunt/Mike Bush- RB
                                3. Ryan McBean/Justin Harrell- DE
                                4. James Marten-OT
                                5. Kenny Scott-CB
                                6. Louis Leonard-NT
                                7. Yamon Figurs-PR

OL-same

DL
                                DE- Orpheus Roye, Justin Harrell
                                NT- Aubrayo Franklin, Ethan Kelly
                                DE- Jamaal Anderson, Simon Fraser

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information