No announcement yet.

Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there really any DT DE in the FA anymore after all the franchise tags?

Comment

• Originally posted by barry View Post
      even with the combine results, i have yet to see any scouting reports /mock drafts with forte going before the 3rd round. i trust savage's ability to know where a guy should/will be drafted - partly through talent evaluation as well as projecting what other teams will take at previous picks. that allowed us to get brady (at what cost?) late in the first round when savage was sure that the teams after dallas would have taken brady. the poiint is: why draft a guy in the second round if no one else will draft him before the 4th round - use that earlier pick to get somebody else. or we make a trade to draft a bit higher in the 3rd round if it looks like someone else might take him.
      Actually this site has him going 48th to the Falcons, mid second round. I would love to see Forte on the Browns but not as our first pick this year, much less if we need to trade up to get him.

Comment

• this site is a forum - i could put out a mock draft suggesting that somebody like derrick harvey will be a top 5 pick, but i doubt anyone would or should take it seriously.

still, all it takes is one team to want him badly enough, but if forte gets drafted in the 2nd round, i'm betting that most "experts" will call that pick a reach.

Comment

• dude, mock drafts are only one man's thoughts on where a player should/will be drafted at. thats it, they warrant nothing else. so many more talks and such go on behind the scenes that what we know that its hard for any of us to make a solid prediction on who will/should be drafted where.
          When will commissioner Goodell ban Al Davis from making football decisions?

Comment

• i'm not disagreeing with that; our being able to acquire quinn and thomas last season is something no one could have predicted. but i'd be more inclined to put more weight behind a mock draft coming from a sportswriter that actually covers the NFL year round vs. some schmoe running a website out of his mother's garage and funding it with his paper route earnings.

one of my best friends lives down the street from that kudla kid from osu that ended up signing with (and getting cut by) the steelers as a FA a few years back. apparently any rumors that ever got printed in the media about his projected place in the draft came straight from the kid's *mother*, for crying out loud - not any NFL team rep or scout.

the point is that i'm more inclined to put more credence into a report based on confirmation of the source, etc. - a phrase such as "the consensus of NFL scouts", etc.

Comment

• "DL Stars Shine
              The defensive linemen took the field Monday morning and both Chris Long of UVA and Vernon Gholston of Ohio St. were every bit as impressive as expected. Gholston ran a 4.64 with a 35-inch vertical while Long was just behind him with a 4.71 forty and 34-inch vertical. Both Gholston and Long looked excellent in the drills as well and showcased their athleticism. Marcus Howard of Georgia (4.47), Quentin Groves of Auburn (4.52) and Cliff Avril of Purdue (4.56) were the fastest ends in Indy while Dre Moore of Maryland (4.88) and Red Bryant of Texas A&M (4.98) posted the best marks for the tackles. Among the disappointments were Sedrick Ellis of USC, who ran in the mid-5.2 range, and Calais Campbell of Miami (FL) who came in with an unofficial 5.03 clocking."

posted on this site, figured i'd put it in here. i'm looking for official bench numbers, but am having no luck

Comment

• Gholston had 37, that's all I know.

Comment

• I've wanted Gholston all along...Hope Phil can make it happen...

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

• I don't think it's realistic to think we could trade into the top 10 picks, but we could possibly trade into the late first round. However, I don't think we'll do that unless something really crazy happens, but a trade-up into the early second round seems fairly likely. I think it's probably 50-50 that we trade up into the early second or not. There's some good 3-4 DE prospects who should be around in rounds 2-4 though: Red Bryant, Calais Campbell, Trevor Laws, Dre Moore, Pat Sims, and Marcus Harrison. Frank Okam might be a good day 2 NT project too, he weighed in at I think 6-5/347 in Indianapolis, but needs work. I'm a lot more intrigued at our first pick possibilities now though than I was weeks ago.

And btw, anyone else see that thing in the Dayton DN about Cleveland and Pittsburgh being 2 teams thought to be leading contenders to go after Justin Smith in free agency? I think Smith would be intriguing as a DE in a 3-4, he could certainly help the interior pass rush of any team and make blitzes more effective- something we sucked at last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                      I don't think it's realistic to think we could trade into the top 10 picks, but we could possibly trade into the late first round. However, I don't think we'll do that unless something really crazy happens, but a trade-up into the early second round seems fairly likely. I think it's probably 50-50 that we trade up into the early second or not. There's some good 3-4 DE prospects who should be around in rounds 2-4 though: Red Bryant, Calais Campbell, Trevor Laws, Dre Moore, Pat Sims, and Marcus Harrison. Frank Okam might be a good day 2 NT project too, he weighed in at I think 6-5/347 in Indianapolis, but needs work. I'm a lot more intrigued at our first pick possibilities now though than I was weeks ago.

And btw, anyone else see that thing in the Dayton DN about Cleveland and Pittsburgh being 2 teams thought to be leading contenders to go after Justin Smith in free agency? I think Smith would be intriguing as a DE in a 3-4, he could certainly help the interior pass rush of any team and make blitzes more effective- something we sucked at last year.
                      i while back ago i posted that i heard about a rumor that we might try to package DA and next years first to get into the top ten, which would be very possible. your right, tho, that a late first or early second trade up would be more logical at this point.

i like Bryant, Cambell and Moore. i'm not a big fan of Laws, he's too short be play DE and to light to play NT. i dont know much about Sims or Harrison. i agree with you that Okam would be a good NT project. he's a Big Ted clone, but younger. alot younger.

"League sources indicate Cincinnati Bengals free agent DE Justin Smith will receive a ton of interest at the start of free agency on Friday. Among the teams that will show early interest are believed to be the Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, and San Francisco 49ers.All of those teams listed will be looking for pass rush help in free agency and during April's NFL draft.Smith posted at least five sacks in each of his first six seasons as a pro but only posted two sacks in 2007.But what sets Smith apart from other ends is that he plays the run quite well. "

source>www.browns.scout.com

also, one last thing, if anyone remembers from last years free agency, we were one of the big runners to land Nate Clements. He ended up signing a deal with the 49ers. rumors at scout.com are saying that we'll try for Asante Samuel this year and he'll be wanted the same kind of money that Clements got. that would be very very very good for us. One, he's a shutdown corner, and two, he'd be playing in a very similar system and wont need much time to adjust. this would be sweet.

Comment

• Clements got an 8 year 80 million dollar deal IIRC. It'd be great to land Samuel.

Comment

• Roye was cut. the release will save us about $3.5 mil in cap space.

aslo, Andre Davis has been asked to restructure his contract. If he doesn't agree to terms, he could be released as well. if Andre is cut, its another $2.5 mil saved in the cap
                          Last edited by JSimmsy21; 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Well if we do trade for Corey Williams as it seems like we will, then all the talk about 2nd round picks and which DE we want will have been in vain. But if the building smoke about some team that is gonna give Derek Anderson an offer sheet which would land us a 1st and 3rd round pick will change the chatter on here quite a bit if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                              Well if we do trade for Corey Williams as it seems like we will, then all the talk about 2nd round picks and which DE we want will have been in vain. But if the building smoke about some team that is gonna give Derek Anderson an offer sheet which would land us a 1st and 3rd round pick will change the chatter on here quite a bit if true.
                              i in the live chat blog on scout.com right now, i'll be posting in here about all that happens as its confirmed and not just rumored.

there's been talk that the only reason that we're dealing a 2nd is b/c savage knows we're getting a first and third back from "some team" for DA

*edit* Travis LaBoy has set up meetings for CLE and NO.

* the browns have trade a '08 2nd rnd pick for packers DT Corey Williams. Williams is expected to play DE opposite R.Smith. the contract is reportedly a 6yr/$38 mil.

*Donte Stallworth has scheduled to visit the browns.

* reports are now that Cleveland gave greenbay a 3rd rnder for CW.

*reports are that Pace will visit Cleveland.

*DA has signed with the browns. terms of the contract are unknown, but are beleived to be trade friendly. according to sources of Lane Adkins and John Taylor, the Vikings and Panthers are 2 teams that were willing to give up the tendered picks for DA. A trade is still very possible.
                              Last edited by JSimmsy21; 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• I believe we might be bringing in Lance Briggs eventually, but haven't heard comfirmation of that yet. Hopefully we sign a guy like Stallworth to be our 3rd WR, and we of course need to sign at least 1 linebacker here, maybe two.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information