Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Flippityskip91 View Post
    It certainly wouldn't hurt the defense to have one less hole to fill. I no longer look at him as a player on the rise, but he's still a playmaker, and he's fantastic in run support. He just needs to get healthy.
    ULP!
    Yes he's the glue to our steller run defense.

    No honestly I think Jones is a solid starter and good tackler but his weakness is he's not real physical-he's more of a FS than an in box-extra LB SS-the kind the good 34 teams seem to need. For a fair price I'd like to see him stay but I wouldn't mind a more physical thumping SS like say McGowen FA from the Bears.

    Originally posted by borg9
    Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
      ULP!
      Yes he's the glue to our steller run defense.
      When used in run support, which isn't often, he's effective. Your safeties shouldn't be the reason for you run D ranking being bad. If you're relying on a SS for it then what is the front 7 doing?

      He was used poorly all last season. Wimbley was also used poorly last season. Jones would look a whole lot better with a coaching staff that knew what they were doing, as would Wimbley. Go back to 2007, regardless of what the rest of the defense was doing, and you can see Jones doing very well up in run support. The one thing I don't understand with him is why he can't cover TEs.

      Anyways, your right. For a fair price, he should come back. We've got enough other needs that we shouldn't be creating more problems for ourselves.

      Comment


      • I get the feeling that Malcolm Jenkins at #5 is not gonna happen. I think despite everything else most teams feel he will be a safety eventually or a cover 2 corner - which is fine he'll probably still be a top 10 pick - but he has 4.5 speed and his man-to-man skills are in question enough so to keep him out of the conversation. I think Orakpo and Curry and Crabtree seem like more viable candidates. I think we'll add corner depth in FA anyway.

        Speaking of FA, looks like we're the odds on favorites for veteran Eric Barton. I wonder if we'll break the bank for a big namer this year like we've done the last few years...maybe Jason Brown, TJ Houshmandzadeh, or someone like that. I kinda hope we don't spend as much in FA as we have in the past; build through the draft
        Last edited by keylime_5; 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
          Speaking of FA, looks like we're the odds on favorites for veteran Eric Barton. I wonder if we'll break the bank for a big namer this year like we've done the last few years...maybe Jason Brown, TJ Houshmandzadeh, or someone like that. I kinda hope we don't spend as much in FA as we have in the past; build through the draft
          I'm hoping for Barton. Mangini did say that if DQ had someone next to him with at least average speed, it would greatly help him. Barton is definitely on the decline of his career, but he's an upgrade over Davis. Plus, I'm a big fan of Brandon Spikes. wishing for next year.

          The only "big" FA signing I think we might see is Jason Brown. The Kokinis connection makes it seem like the only logical one. Also, Kokinis said for OL players he looks to see how smart they are and their physical size. He knows all about Brown.
          When will commissioner Goodell ban Al Davis from making football decisions?

          Comment


          • Barton is on the downside of his career, but he would be solid next to Jackson...and his asking price certainly won't be ludicrous. I really hope that we just stick to the draft. Maybe bring in a few veterans to help the youngsters, but we've been active in FA the past few years and it hasn't worked.

            Comment


            • The issue next to Jackson isn't speed... they need someone who can actually fight through trash and make plays like Aaron Curry.

              Comment


              • Barton won't make nearly as many mental mistakes as Dra Davis did, and he can be a veteran leader on defense like McGinest was for Crennel. I like the possibilty of signing Barton not only for that reason, but because it fills a big hole at LILB and leaves to door open for drafting Curry who will be our long term answer at LILB. Curry+Jackson at ILB would be nasty. Curry could even play LOLB for the first couple years of his career until Barton leaves.

                Jason Brown I could dig, he would really help the offensive line and it would spite the ravens too. He's gonna ask for Faneca money, which is okay if we only sign one big name and a few smaller names/role players like Barton and DB depth/RB depth/WR depth.

                Comment


                • How do you piss off your best player from the jump? We're not even in spring practices yet.
                  So much for setting a hard ass/more disciplined example-now he's got to patch this up. Rogers is a smart vet-whatever beef he has it's probably legit-not as simple as "he didn't talk to me".

                  My guess is Gini's trying to overcompensate for RAC's perceived softness-plus he's trying to make up for his NYJ debacle. How smart is it as one of your first moves to fire a personal friend of Shaun's and the one who was responsible for making his transition to a new team a good one. Then afterward give the pro bowler the cold shoulder until it becomes public that he's not happy with you and the new regime.
                  And this talk of not trading DA? I'm displeased.

                  Originally posted by borg9
                  Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

                  Comment


                  • The talk of not trading Anderson is a smoke screen. He has no place in Daboll's offense

                    This Shaun Rogers thing is about money no matter what else you hear. The rumors of Haynesworth getting $100 million and $15 million a year have pissed off Rogers because he's one of the best in the league. Maybe Mangini rubbed him the wrong way, but that's just an excuse.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      The talk of not trading Anderson is a smoke screen. He has no place in Daboll's offense

                      This Shaun Rogers thing is about money no matter what else you hear. The rumors of Haynesworth getting $100 million and $15 million a year have pissed off Rogers because he's one of the best in the league. Maybe Mangini rubbed him the wrong way, but that's just an excuse.
                      Hope your right about all that.
                      In response to your mock comment about Winslow. This guy is going to play until he's crippled and always give 110-what's wrong with that? Take eleven or 22 with his mentality and you've got a dynasty. His biggest weakness-blocking-can be balanced this off season by signing Kleinsasser to alternate or play 2 TE on occasion. First sub-par season (staph-ankle) and now you want to ship him out? I'll have to wait and see how he and Quinn play together-Quinn's style suits him more than scattershot Anderson's.

                      Originally posted by borg9
                      Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                        Hope your right about all that.
                        In response to your mock comment about Winslow. This guy is going to play until he's crippled and always give 110-what's wrong with that? Take eleven or 22 with his mentality and you've got a dynasty. His biggest weakness-blocking-can be balanced this off season by signing Kleinsasser to alternate or play 2 TE on occasion. First sub-par season (staph-ankle) and now you want to ship him out? I'll have to wait and see how he and Quinn play together-Quinn's style suits him more than scattershot Anderson's.
                        Winslow's done in Cleveland. Mark it down.

                        Comment


                        • mmmmm.....I think Winslow will be a Brown in 2009 from what I've heard. He's a team player despite being a bit mouthy and emotional (sometimes immature), and we'll need him badly on offense this year. Edwards is the one who has cancerous potential, but they aren't gonna trade him this year, probably won't even think about it anymore.

                          Comment


                          • His being traded will have nothing to do with his attitude. It has everything to do with the fact that he's playing on borrowed time and the fact he won't be here for a championship run. They need to move him now while he has some value left.

                            Comment


                            • Ugh, Shaun Rogers could be on his way out. Mangini will find a way to drive out all the players he doesn't like. He god damn better produce results.

                              Comment


                              • I hope Winslow stays because Quinn is going to need him. Quinn isn't going to have a reliable receiver if he goes unless Jurevicius is healthy.

                                I really hope the stuff about not being so hot about Quinn and that they want a battle in training camp is just a rumor to increase Anderson's trade value.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information