Cleveland Browns General Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
    Winslow's done in Cleveland. Mark it down.
    wonderbredd24=nostradamus

Originally posted by borg9
    Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
      wonderbredd24=nostradamus
      Holy cow I totally forgot about that. Nice job wonderbredd.

Comment

Winslow's done in Cleveland. Mark it down.
        so what else you got for us MR. WIZARD!?!?!?!?!?
        When will commissioner Goodell ban Al Davis from making football decisions?

Comment

• Originally posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
          PLZ say Superbowl Win...

Comment

• Originally posted by JSimmsy21 View Post
            Though I could see it happening, I see no reason to trade Braylon Edwards right now.

The money on his contract isn't an issue.

He's got what essentially amounts to a one year audition for the new regime. If they like him and he likes them, they work out an extension. If not, franchise him and find him a home next year.

It's a contract year, so I would expect him to be much closer to '07 numbers than '08 which should up his value if they decide to move him.

Plus, if they do trade him, Quinn has... Syndric Steptoe, Paul Hubbard, and Martin Rucker to throw to. I'd rather not have his #1 receiver be a draft pick or a free agent like Coles. If they have Edwards, it takes some pressure off a draft pick so they can develop quicker.

Like I said, it could happen, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I would not be surprised if Derek Anderson follows Kellen Winslow to Tampa

Comment

Though I could see it happening, I see no reason to trade Braylon Edwards right now.

The money on his contract isn't an issue.

He's got what essentially amounts to a one year audition for the new regime. If they like him and he likes them, they work out an extension. If not, franchise him and find him a home next year.

It's a contract year, so I would expect him to be much closer to '07 numbers than '08 which should up his value if they decide to move him.

Plus, if they do trade him, Quinn has... Syndric Steptoe, Paul Hubbard, and Martin Rucker to throw to. I'd rather not have his #1 receiver be a draft pick or a free agent like Coles. If they have Edwards, it takes some pressure off a draft pick so they can develop quicker.

Good stuff but let's hope he rebounds otherwise the team is practically back to square one on offense.

Like I said, it could happen, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I would not be surprised if Derek Anderson follows Kellen Winslow to Tampa

Good stuff but let's hope he rebounds otherwise the team is practically back to square one on offense.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Sign:
                James Butler
                JaBari Greer
                Igor Olshansky
                Khalif Barnes
                Kevin Burnett
                David Bowens
                C.J. Mosley
                Patrick Ramsey

please someone anytime soon. I like the cheep method, but do it already...

Comment

• Ideal Browns Offseason (Translation: Not going to happen, but can dream):

Trades:
                  QB Derek Anderson & DT Shaun Smith to Tampa Bay for the Bucs' 1st round pick (maybe the Browns throw in a late round pick or 2010 mid round pick). This would give the Bucs another QB and a big DT to add to their line.

WR Braylon Edwards to NY Giants for OLB Mathias Kiwanuka and 2nd round pick. Complimentary OLB to Wimbley and get rid of a player who doesn't really seem to want to be in Cleveland.

Browns trade their higher 2nd round pick to Dallas for LB Bobby Carpenter, the Cowboys' 2nd and 5th round picks. Get some depth at LB, someone to compete with Leon Williams and/or a free agent/draft pick.

Browns trade their higher 1st round pick to Denver for TE Tony Scheffler, Denver's 1st and 3rd round picks. Get a TE to go with Rucker and Heiden to replace Winslow.

For the draft, the Browns would have:
                  2 1st round picks: #12 (from DEN) & #19 (from TB)
                  3 2nd round picks: from DAL, TB & NYG
                  1 3rd round pick: from DEN
                  1 4th round pick: original CLE pick
                  1 5th round pick: from DAL
                  1 6th round pick: original CLE pick
                  0 7th round pick: traded to MIA

That number of 2nd round picks would allow flexibility in case a player starts dropping in the 1st or early 2nd, or they could trade down and get some more 3rd or 4th round picks for more depth. With #12 and #19 in the 1st, they could get Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins (if he falls) at 12 and Chris Wells or Knowshon Moreno at 19.

Free Agents to Sign:
                  CB Jabari Greer/Bryant McFadden/Shawn Springs/Leigh Bodden/Phillip Buchanon/Ron Bartell
                  - Greer and McFadden would take a lot more to sign (longer contract for more money) than Springs or Bodden, and Springs or Bodden would work as a veteran presence with Wright for a couple of years and then draft a CB to play behind them for a year or two. My choice would be Springs, because he is still a solid corner and could move to S in a year or two.

LB Eric Barton/Kevin Burnett/Paris Lenon
                  - May not actually need any of these players if the Browns acquired Carpenter, because then the would have D'Qwell Jackson, Leon Williams, Beau Bell and Carpenter, but adding one of them wouldn't hurt. Barton would probably be the best choice of those three.

WR Laveranues Coles/Ronald Curry/Devery Henderson/Joey Galloway
                  - If Edwards is traded (and if a draft pick or picks & Kiwanuka is the return, I say do it), Coles is a definite must since he knows Mangini's system already. Use one of those 2nd round picks on a WR, pair them with Coles, and have Cribbs, Jurevicius and either Galloway or Curry behind them. Not a great group, but solid.

QB Kyle Boller/Byron Leftwich/Chris Simms/Patrick Ramsey/Damon Huard/Rex Grossman/Gus Frerotte
                  - Any of them would make up for the loss of Anderson by providing a veteran backup to Quinn. Huard or Frerotte would be good choices, in my opinion, but Kokinis may have some history with Boller from Baltimore.

S Sean Jones/James Butler/Reed Doughty/Brandon McGowan/Jermaine Phillips
                  - Would love to see the Browns get Phillips from the Bucs, but any one of them on this list would be sufficient.

DE Anthony Weaver/Paul Spicer/Igor Olshansky/Demetric Evans/Shaun Cody/Kevin Carter/Jovan Haye/Ronald Fields
                  - Any one of these guys would provide depth on the line, and if Shaun Smith were traded, two of them would be ideal. Spicer, Olshansky and/or Haye would be my choices.

OT Khalif Barnes/Daniel Loper/John St.Clair/Ray Willis
                  - Sign someone to compete with Shaffer at RT. At the very least, you get a dependable backup at both LT and RT. Barnes is good at run support, so he might be good at RG as well.

I know many of these scenarios aren't likely to occur, but it would be nice...

Comment

• As good a prospect as Crabtree is I'd rather not see another regime begin by drafting a WR. That was part of the problem with Savage. He didn't give Romeo the building blocks for his defense or offense until Joe Thomas/Shaun Rogers. Granted the Lecharles Bentley thing was not Phil's fault and I suppose he tried with Schaffer/E.Steinbach/C.Smith but getting competitive in the north is probably not going to start until needs are drafted upfront on O (or a new franchise RB) and on the defensive front 7.
                    Any thoughts on this?
                    Last edited by Brown Leader; 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Braylon Edwards was basically the only guy who panned out other than Antrel Rolle from that year's Top 10 picks.

If Curry is off the board, Crabtree is far and away the best value in the draft for the Browns, assuming he gets past Seattle

Comment

• I'm not sure I'd agree that Edwards has panned out-that's debatable after the 08' crash. Ronnie Brown is probably the best of the top ten and C.Rodgers is not half bad but...this is kind of my point-we passed on Ware and Merriman

Comment

• No way Aaron Curry falls to us at #5, so now we have to look different routes :(

Sign Kevin Burnettt to play ILB instead then draft B.J. Raji(5) and Connor Barwin(36). Sign nickle Chris Carr and run stopping saftey James Butler...

DE Shaun Rogers
                          NT B.J. Raji
                          DE Corey Williams
                          OLB Connor Barwin
                          ILB Kevin Burnett
                          ILB D'Qwell Jackson
                          OLB Kamerion Wimbley
                          CB Eric Wright
                          CB Brandon McDonald
                          NB Chris Carr
                          FS Brodney Pool
                          SS James Butler

I like our chances with that defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                            I'm not sure I'd agree that Edwards has panned out-that's debatable after the 08' crash. Ronnie Brown is probably the best of the top ten and C.Rodgers is not half bad but...this is kind of my point-we passed on Ware and Merriman
                            Revisionist history. They were never in the conversation, so saying we passed on them is absurd.

Comment

Revisionist history. They were never in the conversation, so saying we passed on them is absurd.
                              your saying they were never considered top ten so passing on them makes no difference?-they went 11 and 12 respectively. I'd say that's close enough to not completely throw them out of the discussion.
                              Last edited by Brown Leader; 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Agree with the notion about Crabtree. Since Curry will almost certainly be gone, the only other guy I think we could realistically consider and still get the full value at #5 is Crabtree. I think our draft board could resemble this:
                                1-Aaron Curry
                                2-Mike Crabtree
                                3/4-Either Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo

Or I could be totally wrong, but that's my speculation.

Since you guys were talking about 2005, who do you guys think we would've taken if Braylong Edwards was not there?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information