No announcement yet.

Official Browns 2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt Heckert would appreciate that much. hah..Anyway, I recommend watching 'Ultimate Mark Ingram highlights' on youtube. He doesn't have Adrian Peterson speed, but then again who does, however he's fast enough and breaks a fair amount of tackles. Runs hard. Guess I just like his style of running and the fact he's built tough enough to take some blows.

Will he be the highest ranked player on the Browns board when they pick? Probably not, but right now he'd be number 4 on mine if I had the power to draft players. Fairley, Bowers, and Peterson are the only ones I'd put ahead of him, and I'm not 100% certain about Peterson only because I haven't seen enough of him.

Problem with Hardesty is the injury history. Hillis can't take all those carries like he did this past season. I realize he wont anyway because they'll be passing more, but still he needs to share duties to avoid getting worn down too much or hurt.

But I do agree they'll concentrate on other positions, namely on defense in the first round.

Checked out Wikipedia a little while ago to review past NFL drafts. Interesting which players ended up Pro Bowlers, and which didn't. The Pro Bowlers were spread out pretty evenly throughout the 1st round. For example for the 2009 draft there have already been 5 Pro Bowlers - players drafted at 13, 15, 21 (Alex Mack), 22, and 26.

From the 2005 draft 10 1st rounders have become pro bowlers, in the other rounds a combined 13, plus 7 undrafted rookies.

It's basically a crapshoot in the first round especially. Bottomline, teams need to find out which players actually want to play the game for the love of it and have a tough enough mindset to be successful, and which players are more interested in the money and living the high life.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioJB View Post
      I doubt Heckert would appreciate that much. hah..Anyway, I recommend watching 'Ultimate Mark Ingram highlights' on youtube. He doesn't have Adrian Peterson speed, but then again who does, however he's fast enough and breaks a fair amount of tackles. Runs hard. Guess I just like his style of running and the fact he's built tough enough to take some blows.

Will he be the highest ranked player on the Browns board when they pick? Probably not, but right now he'd be number 4 on mine if I had the power to draft players. Fairley, Bowers, and Peterson are the only ones I'd put ahead of him, and I'm not 100% certain about Peterson only because I haven't seen enough of him.

Problem with Hardesty is the injury history. Hillis can't take all those carries like he did this past season. I realize he wont anyway because they'll be passing more, but still he needs to share duties to avoid getting worn down too much or hurt.

But I do agree they'll concentrate on other positions, namely on defense in the first round.

Checked out Wikipedia a little while ago to review past NFL drafts. Interesting which players ended up Pro Bowlers, and which didn't. The Pro Bowlers were spread out pretty evenly throughout the 1st round. For example for the 2009 draft there have already been 5 Pro Bowlers - players drafted at 13, 15, 21 (Alex Mack), 22, and 26.

From the 2005 draft 10 1st rounders have become pro bowlers, in the other rounds a combined 13, plus 7 undrafted rookies.

It's basically a crapshoot in the first round especially. Bottomline, teams need to find out which players actually want to play the game for the love of it and have a tough enough mindset to be successful, and which players are more interested in the money and living the high life.
      I just don't see why you would spend a #6 overall pick on a runningback which isn't a huge position for a rebuilding team, especially when the player isn't considered an elite prospect. Reggie Bush was one of the few runningbacks to be considered a top pick and it didn't really pan out. Adrian Peterson was drafted 7th overall and he was considered to be one of the best pure runningbacks to come out in years.

I would pick any of those other guys on your list over Ingram.

I don't know how you can say it's more of a crapshoot in the first. That's 10 out of the first round and 13 over the next 6, which is just over 2 pro bowlers per round. I would take the crapshoot in the first round over the later rounds.

And as a sidenote, the more I look at the roster, the more I realize that the Browns might need a corner.

Comment

Honestly, I doubt the Browns will consider RB in the 1st round, and believe the focus will be on D-line, unless Peterson falls to 6.

I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying about the pro bowlers being spread out - I meant 1st round selections only. Early 1st compared to mid-first and late-first rounders. Threw in the pro bowlers from other rounds and rookie UFA's mainly because I found it interesting so many undrafted players made the pro bowl from one particular draft.

More than anything, my point is I want to see players drafted who have the right mindset, and not become what many felt Gerard Warren became once he had 'Big Money'. Hard thing to evaluate, but I can tell you before they were drafted I was sure Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu were going to be very good and dedicated to their teams.

As far as this draft goes, the players I worry we'll end up with is based on over-hyped talent not character concerns. WR A.J. Green reminds me a little of MoMass more than what the supposed best WR since Calvin Johnson should play like. Julio Jones isn't talented enough to be drafted high either in my opinion. The other player that seems to be over-hyped from what I can tell is QB Blaine Gabbert. If the Browns select one of them I'll be disappointed.

Comment

After the recent cuts that have taken place, I just don't see how we don't take one of the top 4 DL prospects. Out of the four of them, I think Bowers would be the best fit but I don't really see him falling to us. I also wouldn't be surprised if Cam Jordan or JJ Watt make a Tyson Alualu jump into the conversation come draft day.

Comment

The 1st round will be loaded with DL selected the way it looks now. Cam Jordan is getting noticed and may very well be a top 10 pick. Personally I'm more impressed with Kerrigan than JJ Watt, and guessing he'll be a top 10-12 pick. The Browns certainly need DL, so wont complain if they draft one in the 1st.

Comment

My Browns Big Board
              1. Da'Quan Bowers- Great talent that showed huge improvement his senior year and should only get better.
              2. Marcell Dareus- Better 3 technique than Fairley.
              3. AJ Green- WR that could fill #1 hole.
              4. Patrick Peterson- Besides Haden, there's really nobody on the other side.
              5. Robert Quinn- I think he will have to show a lot at the combine to show he's still got it.
              6. Nick Fairley- Better for a 3-4 but just an absolute beast if he has the motivation.

Comment

I've seen more highlights of Marcell Dareus. He's better than I originally surmised. Also, on Total Access on NFL Network, Warren Sapp mentioned he had him as his #1 DT because he uses his hands well, compared to Fairley who he said relies on brute strength and has to learn how to use his hands. Mayock also has him as his #1 DT. I'd still prefer Bowers because he looks talented enough to wreck havoc by putting pressure on the QB and chasing down RB's. My negative on a player is still A.J. Green. Very good player but still don't think of him as a top 10 talent.

The six I'd like to see the team select from, in order of preference:

1) Patrick Peterson - Rare DB talent

2) Da'quan Bowers - Believe he would make a bigger impact for the Browns than the top two DT's.

3) Nick Fairley - Once he learns how to use his hands better, I'm guessing he'll be a better NFL player than Dareus. Plus, he has a nasty streak that'll help put Squealers, Ratbirds, and Ben-gals in place.

4) Marcell Dareus - Would put him only slightly behind Fairley.

5) Ryan Kerrigan - Might even be able to trade down a couple or few spots and still get him. He's a just a good solid football player who goes all out.

6) Robert Quinn - Only if he proves he's worth it at the Combine and in interviews with the team. Definitely has the talent. Most would put him above Kerrigan, but for now there's enough doubt I'll keep him at #6 just based on talent level.

As much as I would like to see Ingram drafted by the Browns, I'm realistic enough to know that wont happen. Unless something crazy happens and they take advantage of Hillis' trade value and can pick up a 1st rounder for him. I'm not expecting that, just saying Ingram wont be considered most likely unless Hillis is traded. As crazy as this sounds keep in mind Mangini was the one who coveted Hillis and wanted him included in the Quinn trade.

Another player I want to keep tabs on at the Combine is Prince Amukarama. I've heard some criticism regarding his speed and the quality of WR's he faced in college. He needs to turn some heads at the Combine by having some great workouts. As hard as it is to find top-notch CB's, and considering the importance of having great ones, I'm hoping he proves he's better than some think he is. We obviously need a replacement for Sheldon Brown who had trouble covering receivers.

The team will be in a great spot to trade down if they decide they need more draft picks. There'll be at least a couple players other teams will covet enough to present offers. Depending on who's still on the board, it might be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
                  My Browns Big Board
                  1. Da'Quan Bowers- Great talent that showed huge improvement his senior year and should only get better.
                  2. Marcell Dareus- Better 3 technique than Fairley.
                  3. AJ Green- WR that could fill #1 hole.
                  4. Patrick Peterson- Besides Haden, there's really nobody on the other side.
                  5. Robert Quinn- I think he will have to show a lot at the combine to show he's still got it.
                  6. Nick Fairley- Better for a 3-4 but just an absolute beast if he has the motivation.
                  This would be very similar to my board but I want no part of Fairley. I've seen enough DTs with motivational concerns. I'd probably switch Dareus and Green

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
                    This would be very similar to my board but I want no part of Fairley. I've seen enough DTs with motivational concerns. I'd probably switch Dareus and Green
                    I remember when Ngata came out, his big knock was that he would play without motivation. All the "experts" said Baltimore was perfect for him as RayRay wouldn't let him lose motivation. Obviously we can't determine how much Lewis has helped Ngata's motivation but at the same time, knocks on people are sometimes blown out of proportion.

p.s. **** you Phil Savage for passing on Ngata for Wimbley.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

I think it could come down to Quinn or Green, they are the most likely to be there at #6 when we draft. Tough choice IMO, both will be huge stars in the NFL. Take your choice.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                        I think it could come down to Quinn or Green, they are the most likely to be there at #6 when we draft. Tough choice IMO, both will be huge stars in the NFL. Take your choice.
                        What happened to you?! You used to be so negative!! This and your post about McCoy! I like it!!

Comment

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
                          What happened to you?! You used to be so negative!! This and your post about McCoy! I like it!!
                          Just don't get me started on Lerner. Still a long way to go. With Holmgren running the draft, it should be a lot better.
                          And proud of it!!!

Comment

My 3-2 big board

1. JJ. Watt
                            2. Robert Quinn
                            3. Prince Amukamara
                            4. Nick Fairley
                            5. DaQuan Bowers
                            6. Gabbert/Newton
                            7. A.J. Green

I just don't like taking WRs high. Figuring Dareus and Peterson off the board.

Originally posted by borg9
                            Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

my list:

1-Bowers
                              2-Fairley
                              3-Green
                              4-Dareus
                              5-Peterson
                              6-Quinn

though I'm sure we'll have Dareus rated probably in our top 2 realistically, and ahead of Fairley. It will be very interesting to see what we do if Peterson is on the board at 6.

Comment

I just can't see us goin corner. If it happens I'm ok with it I guess, but DL and WR are easily the top concerns. With Julio lightin it up in Indy he'd probably garner some consideration if Bowers, Dareus, Green and Gerard Warren, er...I mean Fairley are all gone at 6

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information