Colt McCoy..Franchise QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
    He looked outstanding from the 2nd quarter until the first drive of the third quarter. He wasn't bad in the 1st quarter, but penalties killed our drives. He didnt' play well the rest of the second half, and Cincy's pressure got to him.

Forget Jones, he didn't do that good yesterday and Phil Taylor was beasting it. Not to mention we have Little and Marecic and another 1st round pick next year. If we had Sanchez we'd be no closer to a super bowl than we are now. He's a starting QB in the NFL but he's not above average. Besides, who would our center be if we had Sanchez? We'd have Thomas and a bunch of scrubs out there without Mack. Sanchez has had a fantastic OLine in New York and he's still not that great behind it.
    How many OC's in the NFL came in round 1 and how many OC's taken later turned out to be stars, but oh well, that was Mangini?
    H...mmm, we lost to Cincy with Dalton as their starter, so it will be a long, long season.
    McCoy completed far less passes against Cincy's defense than a WCO QB should be doing and it only gets worse against Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
    He should be showing improvement so I'm worried.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

I'd rather have McCoy and Mack than just Sanchez. Sanchez isn't that great. Mack and Mangold are the best pivots in the AFC and both were first round picks by Mangini.

Comment

Colt had some good throws and some bad throws and overall I don't think he played as bad as it seemed but... I really didn't like his decision making. Too often it looked like things were happening too fast for him. One of the surest signatures of a QB lacking competency imo is checking it down for a loss. It happens too them all at one time or another but its still a sign a guy is overwhelmed. I haven't rechecked but it seemed like he hopelessly checked it down at least 3-4 times in that game.

Originally posted by borg9
        Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

Since I'm always dumping on him, how about a happy stat...

Colt McCoy has 470 QB dropbacks this year (i.e. non-handoffs), third-most in the league behind Drew Brees and Matthew Stafford. Despite this, hes only been responsible for 10 total turnovers (fumble + INTs); only Tim Tebow and Aaron Rodgers have taken better care of the ball on a per-dropback basis.
          ...course it won't stop us from taking a QB with the first pick.

Originally posted by borg9
          Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

he doesn't throw a lot of picks. he doesn't throw a lot of touchdowns or for a high ypa either. I think one reason for this is that he doesn't fire the ball into tight spaces which is where top QBs make their money. If he tried to do this more often he would have more picks b/c he doesn't have a great arm. I like Colt, he's a solid QB, but his size and strength are going to forever limit his potential - especially on the Browns where talent is always hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5
              The thing with Brees is that every single short and/or weak armed QB gets compared to him and people will realize that he is one of the lone exceptions to the rule of what physical traits a QB almost absolutely MUST have to succeed in the NFL. Barkley is a little bigger than Brees and has a better arm coming out of USC and a quicker release (which is saying something). The thing that seperates Brees from almost every other QB in the league is his ability to read and pick apart weaknesses in defenses and place the ball perfectly. Barkley's athleticism isn't quite as good as Brees' and his ball placement won't be anything like Brees' unless he develops the same kind of work ethic to perfect the parts of his game that he has the power to correct. That said, he is a little bit like Brees.

Barkley actually looks more like a smaller Matt Schaub or a less athletic Mark Sanchez with a little better of an arm and way more experience. As negative comparisons he unfortunately has a little bit of Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen in him, though I'm sure he will be a lot better than either of those two and probably already is.

Anyways, that is my rambling rant on Barkley. I think he has a pretty high ceiling for success. He'll at the very least be Sanchez or Schaub. His upside is limited though b/c of his athleticism, size, and strength. He could be a top 10 QB in the game though still, and I'll take that.
              Well put and now that he has returned to school, I'd add maturity as an issue. Just how much is this guy going to put into being the best? Brees, Brady, Peyton and Rodgers live and breath football and I just don't get that feeling about Barkley after his decision to return for his senior year.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                Well put and now that he has returned to school, I'd add maturity as an issue. Just how much is this guy going to put into being the best? Brees, Brady, Peyton and Rodgers live and breath football and I just don't get that feeling about Barkley after his decision to return for his senior year.
                Wow... 3 of the 4 guys you mentioned returned for their senior year. Would you say Sanchez is mature because he declared after his junior year?

Besides that, I can guarantee you Matt Barkley is not immature and he wants to be the best. That's the reason why he came back his senior year to be the #1 team in college football. He obviously didn't stay at USC because of the money and he didn't do it because it's Southern California blah blah blah. He did it because he wanted to win the national championship.

Comment

yeah, you could use both sides of the coin on that one. Usually it seems the more immature players leave early and are thinking about money instead of about their legacy or their college degree. Cannot blame Barkley at all for the decision he made, it was very logical if you look at these factors:

-He can win a Heisman next year
                  -He can win a National and Pac 12 Title next year
                  -He can go down as an all-time great college QB
                  -He finishes his degree
                  -He can be the #1 pick in the 2013 draft (had no shot with Luck being there this year)
                  -NFL QBs who enter the draft early have a FAR worse success rate than ones who stay for four years.
                  -He probably won't get drafted by the Browns if he stays

Comment

yeah, you could use both sides of the coin on that one. Usually it seems the more immature players leave early and are thinking about money instead of about their legacy or their college degree. Cannot blame Barkley at all for the decision he made, it was very logical if you look at these factors:

-He finishes his degree
                    -He can be the #1 pick in the 2013 draft (had no shot with Luck being there this year)
                    -NFL QBs who enter the draft early have a FAR worse success rate than ones who stay for four years.
                    I lol'd at the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                      was this a serious post? 75% of that list returned to school. do you have any idea of what you're talking about?

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

-He finishes his degree
                        You left out a few:

-He can suffer a very serious injury and never play in the NFL.
                        -He loses a year of pro training by staying in college.
                        -If I'm training to be a CEO of a company and General Motors offers me the job, do I turn it down to stay in school so I can win some award and further my education.
                        -He has trained his whole life to be a professional football player, now he is telling the pros to wait so he can possibly win a Heisman, or win the Pac 12, or win the National Championship and you think pro GM's aren't going to question his maturity and his commitment to football.
                        -If the junior who declares has real talent, they go on to succeed at a high level, ask Stafford or Newton.
                        -For me, he is a perfect example a la Leinart, a kid from a well off family, who wants to stay in college because it is a lot of fun( I know I loved it). He's no Luck, who graduated as a sophomore and stayed for his junior year but has enough commitment to football to come out as a junior.

I'll be shocked if he makes it into the top 5 next year. Look at the QB's who returned to school, turning down solid chances to be high picks i the draft.

1) Leinart - turned out partying was far more important that putting a 100% into learning your profession
                        2) Locker - dropped considerably in the draft
                        3) Bradford - got injured but was lucky enough to go #1, now they are questioning his ability to stay healthy, questioning his commitment to pro football and wondering if he is committed enough to be a great QB.

I'll tell you this, the better NFL GM's will pass on Barkley next year,, sure, he may go #1 because there are plenty of bad GM's in the business but I really question whether this guy will be a true franchise QB before all is said and done.
                        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by j05son View Post
                          was this a serious post? 75% of that list returned to school. do you have any idea of what you're talking about?
                          Get your facts straight, up until about 3 years ago, 95% of college pro type QB's returned to school to finished their senior years. That was the known acceptable route to take to be a successful NFL QB.
                          Today, it is a whole different story. We take notice today when a QB returns to school for their senior year because junior QB's are having success in the pros, see Stafford or Newton.
                          And proud of it!!!

Comment

Scrub (filler)

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information