Surprise cuts...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Article

IRVING, Texas - While the Cowboys made the majority of their roster moves on Saturday by cutting 21 players, including cornerback Aaron Glenn, and putting veteran kicker Martin Gramatica on injured reserve, in no way did it signal an end to the changes.
    The Cowboys came back Sunday and claimed two players off waivers from other teams, prompting two more roster cuts.
    The club claimed outside linebacker Justin Rogers, a rookie free agent from SMU who spent training camp with the Patriots, and defensive back Evan Oglesby, a two-year veteran who was recently cut by the Baltimore Ravens.
    To make room on the 53-man roster, the Cowboys released a pair of defensive backs - safety Abram Elam and rookie cornerback Alan Ball. The club had kept all eight draft picks on the roster before cutting Ball, a seventh-round pick from Illinois.
    The Cowboys also formed most of their practice squad on Sunday, signing seven players who have been with the team for the entire training camp and preseason.
    The club signed running back Alonzo Coleman, tight end Rodney Hannah, quarterback Richard Bartel, wide receiver Mike Jefferson, linebacker Khari Long, cornerback Quincy Butler and defensive end Marcus Smith. The Cowboys hope to add Ball to the final spot on the practice squad by Monday if he clears waivers.
    But missing from the practice squad is a pair of players who were picked up by other teams. Rookie quarterback Matt Moore was claimed off waivers by the Panthers and defensive tackle Remi Ayodele was signed by the Falcons. Also, Arizona signed wide receiver Jerheme Urban, though he was not eligible for the practice squad. Urban joins Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who spent the last three years with the Cowboys, including last season as the team's passing game coordinator.
    On Saturday, the Cowboys removed 22 players from the roster, including veteran cornerback Aaron Glenn and kicker Martin Gramatica, who was placed on injured reserve and will likely get an injury settlement for his strained hamstring this week.
    The Cowboys also cut outside linebacker Junior Glymph, who had seen extensive playing time in Greg Ellis' absence because of his heel injury. However, the Cowboys obviously see more upside in Rogers, who recorded 11 tackles and two sacks in four preseason games with the Patriots.
    Oglesby, who has played both cornerback and safety in his career, should be able to help at both positions, as well as special teams. As an undrafted rookie from North Alabama in 2005, he was signed to the Bills' practice squad before signing with Baltimore later that season. Oglesby had been with the Ravens ever since, playing in all 16 games last year and recording 16 tackles on defense and two pass deflections. In the 2007 preseason with the Ravens, Oglesby had 10 tackles and pass breakup.
    Here's a look at this weekend's roster moves:
    Sunday's Transactions:
    Released:
    CB Alan Ball
    S Abram Elam
    Claimed off Waivers:
    LB Justin Rogers (New England)
    CB Evan Oglesby (Baltimore)
    Signed to Practice Squad:
    WR Mike Jefferson
    QB Richard Bartel
    CB Quincy Butler
    DE Marcus Smith
    TE Rodney Hannah
    RB Alonzo Coleman
    LB Khari Long
    (Note: WR Jerheme Urban (Ari), DT Remi Ayodele (Atl) and QB Matt Moore (Car) were all claimed off waivers by other teams to the active roster.)
    Saturday's Transactions:
    Injured Reserve:
    K Martin Gramatica Released:
    CB Aaron Glenn
    LB John Saldi
    QB Matt Moore
    WR Jerheme Urban
    DT Remi Ayodele
    WR Mike Jefferson
    QB Richard Bartel
    CB Quincy Butler
    DE Marcus Smith
    TE Rodney Hannah
    RB Alonzo Coleman
    LB Khari Long
    OL Matt Tarullo
    G Trey Darilek
    LB Junior Glymph
    WR Damarius Bilbo
    CB Joey Thomas
    FB Lousaka Polite
    LB Blair Phillips
    TE Adam Bergen
    RB Arliss Beach

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig

Comment

Still bummed that we lost Moore.

Comment

when I was sifting through all the cut players last night I was intrigued by Oglesby and gave him an extra look, but I didn't think the Cowboys would sign him. I guess he is more ready to play now than Ball though. Also he gives us one more guy to look at for punt returns.

Overall I kinda like that signing. I don't really know enough about Rogers though.

Comment

I guess Alan Ball isn't doing great things.... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            There goes rob's take on Jerry's Draft Favoritism Theory.
            So he cut one 7th rounder who they want for the PS (Ball) and kept a very medicore Davis who he over paid for last year b/c the Saints wanted him. Elam was an UDFA.

..... and this refutes my point how?

Jerry thinks all his picks are GREAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!

He gets emotionally invested in "his guys." That is why the players who stick with him -- love him. Makes him a great Owner but a horrid GM.
            Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 09-02-2007, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
              I guess Elam won't be replacing Roy anytime soon either.
              No he won't but Roy still sucks in coverage and is a mediocre SS. Between Davis, Brown, and Watkins -- guess we did not need another Safety, surprise surprise.
              Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Still bummed that we lost Moore.
                .. and bummed we kept noodle arm PUP Johnson.

Comment

The Glenn cut was shocking. But I think it's safe to say Wade needs size in his corners. He was being hampered all preseason playing his smaller corners 8-10 yards off the ball just so they didn't get abused. Probably should have saw this coming.

I'm gonna have to come out and say I told you so on Nate Jones. The only guy on the team outside of Newman who has experience on the inside. This was a huge factor of keeping him on the team.

Glymph wasn't really getting any better imo...he has looked the same all preseason...our organization realized that and went to a guy with a higher ceiling.

I don't know anything about our pickups however both of those teams have superbowl talent so thats good to know we picked the pot from them.

I think it's safe to say we wanted a corner with playing experience that wasn't too old. We got exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                    Glymph wasn't really getting any better imo...he has looked the same all preseason...our organization realized that and went to a guy with a higher ceiling.
                    And what was the trade-off in your mind??

Not sweating Glymph but I still don't get the Glenn cut.

Glen is the perfect corner to play those Terry Glenn type receivers.

He never should be left on an island with a monster like a CJ or TO.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                      So he cut one 7th rounder who they want for the PS (Ball) and kept a very medicore Davis who he over paid for last year b/c the Saints wanted him. Elam was an UDFA.

..... and this refutes my point how?

Jerry thinks all his picks are GREAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!

He gets emotionally invested in "his guys." That is why the players who stick with him -- love him. Makes him a great Owner but a horrid GM.
                      Is there someone we drafted who you think should not still be on the team? I don't think Jerry is a perfect GM, but he has made enough good moves for me to give him some slack. You're still persecuting him for moves he made in the pre-Parcells era. Hasn't he made up some, yet? Give the guy a break. He's improving.

What GMs are out there cutting all their draft picks, which make them so much better GMs in your mind?

Comment

And what was the trade-off in your mind??

Not sweating Glymph but I still don't get the Glenn cut.

Glen is the perfect corner to play those Terry Glenn type receivers.

He never should be left on an island with a monster like a CJ or TO.
                        I'll give you that Glenn should never cover guys like Roy Williams and Andre Johnson one on one. But I think wade needs a guy who can man up and stop them for the first 5-7 yards. This A) makes a QB move to his other reads or B) makes a QB lock on and thus the safety should be over the top by reading the qb's eyes.

Now I'm not saying this is the best way to run a defense or the worst way...however you can't knock a man for what he wants in his scheme.

Comment

Is there someone we drafted who you think should not still be on the team? I don't think Jerry is a perfect GM, but he has made enough good moves for me to give him some slack. You're still persecuting him for moves he made in the pre-Parcells era. Hasn't he made up some, yet? Give the guy a break. He's improving.

What GMs are out there cutting all their draft picks, which make them so much better GMs in your mind?
                          D-Unit, not sure how else to express it.

A Super Bowl quality teams does not keep its entire draft. Some guys are just duds.

Jerrah, however, falls in love with his players. He just does. He loves his draft picks. He loves his free agents. He loves the veteran guys he gives contracts to.

Why do you think guys like Irvin and Sanders just adore him? The dude is just a real nice guy who throws money around to his dudes.

He is a great owner. But what makes Jerry a bad GM is his track record of not building winning teams when he has his rent-a-coach lackey. He micro manages.

BTW, Owners in the old NFL used to have the same problem. They played the game, owned the team, coached it and eventually thought they could leave the details to their hack coaches and GM and manage the big picture. Paul Brown comes to mind as an owner too involved... and that is he was a great football man. The owner of the Bears was another one. Owners can not be GM. They have different requirements.

To boot Jerry Jones is not a professional quality GM and Player Personnel man. He never learned the craft as someone apprentice. He never learned it in a situation where his opinion was secondary. Where his thoughts where valued but not paramount in the decision making process. The apprentice process makes you good. It teaches you.

Even the smartest teacher can not teach a student when the student pays the teachers salary. The student can pull the plug when his whim changes.

But he is a great Owner.

**** AND PLEASE, leave out Jimmy Johnson and Parcells. Jerry respected them b/c they had track records. So when it came time to make decisions he would be SOMEWHAT more hands off. Regardless, he still had 100% authority to jam players down their throats. TO is one of them.
                          Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

A Super Bowl quality teams does not keep its entire draft. Some guys are just duds.

Jerrah, however, falls in love with his players. He just does. He loves his draft picks. He loves his free agents. He loves the veteran guys he gives contracts to.
                            That's the problem with you. You're ALL speculations, but only the ones you like.
                            We got our first four round picks, those players are basically a lock for making the team. The only way you cut a 3rd or 4th round pick it's only if you think you made a very bad choice.
                            So we have Spencer, Marten, Stanback and Free on the team by default.
                            Then we got Deon Anderson who's playing good, he's a good contributor on special team, and you need another FB on roster, so there's no reason to cut him. Nick Folk made the team because he miss only one kick between TC and preseason, he won his job, he deserved his job. No complaining here.
                            The last one is Courtney Brown. You think we kept him because Jerry loves his players, you are sure of this. But what if the coaching staff likes him as a future backup? Hamlin is in a contract year, Watkins still have to improve, maybe they like Brown's potential to replace one of these two guys next year.
                            Alan Ball got cut.

I really don't understand why you are complaining ALL THE TIME. The only reason I see it's because you love to talk trash about Jerry (and calling him "Jerrah" whil it's not even funny).
                            Really, you said that a super bowl caliber team shouldn't have all of these rookies on the team (but on draft you were complaining - surprise?? - about the future lack of contribution by the players we drafted), but who do you think should have been cut?
                            Only two of those players will be a starter, one it's Spencer, the other is Folk. Marten and Free won't play this year, Stanback will see some action as the season goes on, Brown will start on special teams and so will do Anderson, while playing some series at FB.

And with the Johnson stuff you're becoming annoying!!! Do you think it would be a good thing to start a season with an UDFA as your primary backup for your QB?! Please!!
                            Last edited by Modano; 09-03-2007, 03:08 AM.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Cab you please explain to Modano how dumb he sounds?

I have tried but he thinks Jerry Jones is AJ Smith, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh rolled into 1.

You said, it. Jerry is keeping his kids. Jerrah';s Kidz.

you dont have to try and beat your point through everyone's head...we got it the first 6 times you posted it...kudos to you if your correct, but so what, is the point really that meaningful?

but I like most others am all for bringing in moses, but i dont want to get my hopes up, he was cut for a reason, but i still like the possibility of playing him at OLB and letting him rush the passer, if anything he should be able to do that pretty well

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Why do you think guys like Irvin and Sanders just adore him? The dude is just a real nice guy who throws money around to his dudes.

He is a great owner. But what makes Jerry a bad GM is his track record of not building winning teams when he has his rent-a-coach lackey. He micro manages.

BTW, Owners in the old NFL used to have the same problem. They played the game, owned the team, coached it and eventually thought they could leave the details to their hack coaches and GM and manage the big picture. Paul Brown comes to mind as an owner too involved... and that is he was a great football man. The owner of the Bears was another one. Owners can not be GM. They have different requirements.

To boot Jerry Jones is not a professional quality GM and Player Personnel man. He never learned the craft as someone apprentice. He never learned it in a situation where his opinion was secondary. Where his thoughts where valued but not paramount in the decision making process. The apprentice process makes you good. It teaches you.

Even the smartest teacher can not teach a student when the student pays the teachers salary. The student can pull the plug when his whim changes.

But he is a great Owner.

**** AND PLEASE, leave out Jimmy Johnson and Parcells. Jerry respected them b/c they had track records. So when it came time to make decisions he would be SOMEWHAT more hands off. Regardless, he still had 100% authority to jam players down their throats. TO is one of them.

so Jerry is a bad GM now...he's right up there with the lions and texans franchise as far as running our team now huh? please

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information