"Your Points" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shane_man View Post
    We arent playing the Two TE set this year are we? I thought we were moving back to the traditional Two back??? With the occasional Two TE to confuse the D...
    I believe so, they played a ton of i-form and off-set I in the preseason. Some of it was starting out in the 2 TE set, then motioning Fasano into the back field though. It seems Phillips has the same h-back plan for him as Parcells had.

Comment

I predict the cowboys will struggle to win games within their division.. and wont win the close games all season..

ill predict 7-9 and chaos in dallas

sig by bosanac01

Comment

BBD age at CB? We have one CB over 30...what are you getting at?

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
          BBD age at CB? We have one CB over 30...what are you getting at?
          Im glad you asked that. Good observation on your part. I think, and this is just me personally, that teams will use alot of 3 WR sets against the Cowboys this year to spread the defense and make blitzes easier to read presnap.

Spreading them out also allows them to isolate certain matchups which they can use in their favor. Wade has never been great at designing good pass coverages, so if you spread his guys out, and isolate certain mismatches, I think you'll have more success against this system opposed to packing it in and coming out in big tight formations. Unless he adjusts and goes with an all out man coverage scheme, but I don't think he's gonna do that.

And Im uncertain about how well Glenn (i believe its Glenn, unless Im getting the names confused) can hold up if they isolate him all season. He'll do fine against physical WRs, but speedsters could give him trouble.

Actually...i just remembered that last year the Cowboys lined Newman up in the slot for this exact reason. Hmmm, that kinda throws off my whole idea lol. Eh, whatever, who knows, maybe i could still be right.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I just wanted to point out that I am not one of those believers. Our LBs might produce a good pass rush, but the key to bringing the pass rush up to the elite level is getting good pressure from the DL and we just don't have that.

Olshansky/Williams/Castillo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spears/Ferguson/Canty.
            Yup. Now matter what defensive scheme you run, everything starts up front. You can make an argument that the dline is more important in a 3-4 defense than a 4-3, because youre essentially asking 3 guys to do the job that 4 guys normally do.

Im still not ready to totally hammer the nail in the coffin just yet with Spears. I'll give him until week 8. But I must say, right here right now its not looking that great. He is a great run stuffer though, I'll give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Yup. Now matter what defensive scheme you run, everything starts up front. You can make an argument that the dline is more important in a 3-4 defense than a 4-3, because youre essentially asking 3 guys to do the job that 4 guys normally do.

Im still not ready to totally hammer the nail in the coffin just yet with Spears. I'll give him until week 8. But I must say, right here right now its not looking that great. He is a great run stuffer though, I'll give him that.
              Hatcher can bring it though. His only problem is he was not drafted 1 so folks aren't pushing him.

But mark this down, that barring injury he will be better than Mario Williams. (* I know this sounds nuts but ...)

.... and Spears to NT if he wants to save his career.
              Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                Hatcher can bring it though. His only problem is he was not drafted 1 so folks aren't pushing him.

But mark this down, that barring injury he will be better than Mario Williams. (* I know this sounds nuts but ...)
                Oooh, I don't know about all that. Mario Williams is gonna have a big year. Thats my prediction :)

Hatcher, he's a great pass rusher. I remember him doing very well at UT in the nickel last year. But is he stoute enough against the run to start fulltime as a LE? We don't know that yet. He shouldve got more reps with the first unit in PS.

Comment

I hope you're right. He certainly hasn't shown signs of that type of production on the field yet. If Hatcher can be a mainstay along the line and be desruptive in backfields, then I my draft hopes for him would come to fruition.

Comment

Oooh, I don't know about all that. Mario Williams is gonna have a big year. Thats my prediction :)

Hatcher, he's a great pass rusher. I remember him doing very well at UT in the nickel last year. But is he stoute enough against the run to start fulltime as a LE? We don't know that yet. He shouldve got more reps with the first unit in PS.
                    He was injured. I am telling you he is more explosive than Williams coming off the edge and is around 300 lbs. I think he can play 315 and still bring it. Just has that little something.

Comment

He was injured. I am telling you he is more explosive than Williams coming off the edge and is around 300 lbs. I think he can play 315 and still bring it. Just has that little something.
                      I was happy to see us draft hatcher, loved the pic and knew it was an area where we could very well end up needing him...i hope your right about him and he gets a shot

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Im glad you asked that. Good observation on your part. I think, and this is just me personally, that teams will use alot of 3 WR sets against the Cowboys this year to spread the defense and make blitzes easier to read presnap.

Spreading them out also allows them to isolate certain matchups which they can use in their favor. Wade has never been great at designing good pass coverages, so if you spread his guys out, and isolate certain mismatches, I think you'll have more success against this system opposed to packing it in and coming out in big tight formations. Unless he adjusts and goes with an all out man coverage scheme, but I don't think he's gonna do that.

And Im uncertain about how well Glenn (i believe its Glenn, unless Im getting the names confused) can hold up if they isolate him all season. He'll do fine against physical WRs, but speedsters could give him trouble.

Actually...i just remembered that last year the Cowboys lined Newman up in the slot for this exact reason. Hmmm, that kinda throws off my whole idea lol. Eh, whatever, who knows, maybe i could still be right.
                        Aaron Glenn got cut.

Jaqueez Reeves is now the 3rd corner. Of course Newman would slide inside if he was playing. However if Newman is out Reeves will be playing outside with Nate Jones in the middle.

For the record I think you were talking about Anthony Henry as the guy who will hold his own against physical WR's.

Our pass coverage as a whole comes down to how healthy is newman when he plays for us. If he can cut at 100% we'll be great because we can cloud cover to Henry's side which gives QB's small windows to the sideline. Having trouble understanding what I'm saying? Just picture how teams defended TO in between the 20's. They would jam him at the line playing the inside...with the safety right over the top. The QB has a extremely tough throw trying to squeez over the CB without getting it batted and getting it there before the safety shows up. With a healthy Newman we can opperate one of hell of pass coverage scheme.

Comment

We have yet to see Spears play one meaningful down in his new role. Lets hold off on proclaiming him a total bust until we see what he can do in the new role. Kind of hard to get to the QB when you are engaged before you are supposed to start your rush. His role will be almost the exact opposite as last years.

Comment

1) 11-5 NFC east champs.
                            2) Defense is top 5 overall in the NFL.
                            3) DeMarcus Ware leads the team/nfc with 15 sacks.
                            4) Marion Barber becomes the featured back by week 9.
                            5) Marcus Spears will see the bench by week 5.
                            6) Roy unleashes havoc near the LOS. Leads all DBs with 5 sacks 5 ints.
                            7) Nick Folk will hit 2 game winners.
                            8) Last but not least, Newman starts week 1! lol

Comment

Originally posted by fryman View Post
                              We have yet to see Spears play one meaningful down in his new role. Lets hold off on proclaiming him a total bust until we see what he can do in the new role. Kind of hard to get to the QB when you are engaged before you are supposed to start your rush. His role will be almost the exact opposite as last years.
                              He played 4 quarters in game 4 of preseason and did nothing.

If I was betting .......

Comment

He played 4 quarters in game 4 of preseason and did nothing.

If I was betting .......
                                MEANINGFUL down

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I wouldn't take a bet on it lol, but it could just as easily go either way with his physical abilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information