Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Alright, we need one.

CB is obviously a need even if Newman comes back at 100%. Question is should we address this through the draft, or get a veteran guy? Even though right now taking both routes wouldn't seem like a bad idea.

Comment

I say your D-line and secondary are your guy's two biggest concerns. Frank Okam might be a nice player for you guys as he can play NT in the pros.

Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

The way texas DT's have been drafted and touted the past two years no thanks on Okam...I'll just pray that Taylor declares early after having to play through a terrible year at michigan.

Comment

I'll repost my latest thoughts.

I was looking through some 2008 draft stuff today and I couldn't help but think.

Our biggest hole at this point in the season is CB. We have been calling for one for awhile. We should be picking in the 20's. CB talent seems to be up in the air at this point but doesn't look like any of the top guys are in the elite catagory. So I started thinking if with our second pick in the first round who would be a good bet. I started by looking at size and style of play. Two names that immediately popped into mind were Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib. Talib looks like a boarderline first rounder at this point. And Jenkins looks a bit lanky to me. And then it struck me.....Zack Bowman.

Here we are talking about a guy who is either injury prone or has a case of bad luck. The combine gives us a small idea about some things that lead to being an injury prone player. So the more I thought about it I really set my mind on bad luck. Well after doing some more research I was getting really excited.

Here we are going to be sitting with two corners 30 years old or older. We have good special team corners behind them but we really need to start looking for a guy for the future.

Bowman could possibly be back for the Oct. 6th game. And I don't really think it matters how he plays because he'll likely recieve an invite to the senior bowl if healthy...which is what will really matter for him. If he shows that he still has that 4.4 speed and can be that physical pressence. I think he is a perfect fit. Reminds me of a Cromartie type of situation. And yes Bowman does have those type of measurables.

Start me on the Zack Bowman track.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
            The way texas DT's have been drafted and touted the past two years no thanks on Okam...I'll just pray that Taylor declares early after having to play through a terrible year at michigan.
            shaun rogers, casey hampton?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
              I'll repost my latest thoughts.

I was looking through some 2008 draft stuff today and I couldn't help but think.

Our biggest hole at this point in the season is CB. We have been calling for one for awhile. We should be picking in the 20's. CB talent seems to be up in the air at this point but doesn't look like any of the top guys are in the elite catagory. So I started thinking if with our second pick in the first round who would be a good bet. I started by looking at size and style of play. Two names that immediately popped into mind were Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib. Talib looks like a boarderline first rounder at this point. And Jenkins looks a bit lanky to me. And then it struck me.....Zack Bowman.

Here we are talking about a guy who is either injury prone or has a case of bad luck. The combine gives us a small idea about some things that lead to being an injury prone player. So the more I thought about it I really set my mind on bad luck. Well after doing some more research I was getting really excited.

Here we are going to be sitting with two corners 30 years old or older. We have good special team corners behind them but we really need to start looking for a guy for the future.

Bowman could possibly be back for the Oct. 6th game. And I don't really think it matters how he plays because he'll likely recieve an invite to the senior bowl if healthy...which is what will really matter for him. If he shows that he still has that 4.4 speed and can be that physical pressence. I think he is a perfect fit. Reminds me of a Cromartie type of situation. And yes Bowman does have those type of measurables.

Start me on the Zack Bowman track.
              What are your thoughts on Antoine Cason? Has good size and on stats alone, he looks pretty productive.

Comment

Depending on where that Browns pick falls, if I had to choose right now, give me Kenny Phillips...I dont know if I trust Ken Hamlin to prove to be a viable solution at the other safety spot, and I know for sure after watching last night we need a ball-hawk back there. It's time we made a serious investment at that spot, to handcuff another serious investment (Roy) and maximize the abilities of our secondary.

Like the rest of you, I want a corner with the other. Terrell Thomas, Talib, Jenkins, Bowman, whoever. It's painfully obvious we need a CB as well...The situation at NT is another one that needs to be addressed, someone like Okam in the late first or Raji, Red Bryant in the second...

Alot of people want to go WR or OT early on, but I'm just not as concerned about those positions. Immediate impact receivers can be found all throughout the draft, and the Cowboys will give some of their OL draft picks of the last couple of years a chance to play before taking another one with an early pick.
                Last edited by D-Fence; 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  What are your thoughts on Antoine Cason? Has good size and on stats alone, he looks pretty productive.
                  There are about 6-7 guys who could be top 10 picks this year if they turn in a good year and show good in offseason workouts. Justin King, Aqib Talib, DeJuan Tribble, Antoine Cason, Terrell Thomas, Dwight Lowery, Brandon Flowers, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Malcolm Jenkins. All those guys have first round grades. Obviously they all won't go but that's how much of a jumble is it right now.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a darkhorse right now. Check out some information.
                  Height: 6-2. Weight: 182.
                  40 Time: 4.37
                  6 INT's last season

Comment

I'm bound to have a million of these, but it's always fun to start...

Round 1a: WR Desean Jackson - I don't usually favor WRs in round 1, but this guy is special and provides excellent returning skills as well.

Round 1b: CB Antoine Cason - The need is self explanatory. Of all the CB prospects, I like him best.

Round 2: DE Kendall Langford, Hampton - Small school sleeper, bound to rise up draft boards. Somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6", 290-295 pounds of animal. Highly productive and high motor. High motor from the DE position is a key trait in the Phillips 3-4.

Round 3: DT Red Bryant - I also like BJ Raji, but I'm unsure how his academic problem will affect his stock.

Round 4: RB Ray Rice - I love his compact size, low center of gravity, excellent balance and thunder thighs.

Comment

Posted this in a prior thread.

Antonio Dixon(Miami Hurricanes, JR)
                      6-3 335

"..Reminds some observers of former Huricanes star Vince Wilfork. Hard-working big player who can run and has fine technique that he honed over the past year in prep school. Has good size and strength and showed excellent balance for a player his size. Gets a strong push on the defensive front...."
                      ...Dixon has great lateral movement. Super work ethic off the field. At this stage, a terrific run stopper..

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

Round 4: RB Ray Rice - I love his compact size, low center of gravity, excellent balance and thunder thighs.
                        I would love to have Rice, but do you think he will last that long?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
                          I would love to have Rice, but do you think he will last that long?
                          I do. McFadden and Stewart are probably the only 2 in the first round that I see being picked. Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Jamal Charles, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Allen Patrick, Ryan Torrain would probably round out rounds 2, 3 and some of 4... and some others could jump in there...

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            I do. McFadden and Stewart are probably the only 2 in the first round that I see being picked. Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, Jamal Charles, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Allen Patrick, Ryan Torrain would probably round out rounds 2, 3 and some of 4... and some others could jump in there...
                            If we won't go RB in the first, I want one between Rice, Charles or Felix Jones. I hope Julius will step up and we won't have to look for a RB in march/april, but I've almost lost all of my hopes about him.

I totally agree on DeSean Jackson, even with Hurd and Crayton looking good, Jackson is the man, he's a special player. And for the CB position, I see Jerry spending big money on a veteran CB, just like he did after the 2004 season.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Don't forget James Davis. I like him alot. Good size and he can shake a few people.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information