No announcement yet.

Marion the Barbarian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marion is a nice runner, but he wasn't much better than Julius yesterday. Its getting to the point where its harder and harder to defend JJ and his lack of production, but Barber is a situational player, and that's it. If you were to put a full workload on his shoulders, he would leave you wanting more.

That said, I just can't get out of my head the way that Julius looked in his rookie year. When you put him out on the field and say "you're our guy, go make things happen" I think he could be really, really good. Give him 20+ carries, guaranteed, per game and I think that he might completely change people's perception of him. We know he has it in him somewhere, but I'm starting to agree that both he and the Cowboys need a change of scenery.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by dc4life View Post
      WINS
      Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
      Carolina;9-49-2
      Arizona;13-65-1
      Indianapolis;9-35-2
      Tampa Bay;16-83-2*
      NY Giants;12-76-2
      Atlanta;11-69-2
      NY Giants;11-66-1
      Miami;14-89-2
      8-game totals: 95-532-14
      *Receiving TDs

LOSSES
      Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
      Washington;7-45-0
      New Orleans;2-(-1)-0
      Philadelphia;6-3-0
      Detroit;7-15-1
      Seattle;3-4-0
      5-game totals: 25-66-1

Notice a trend? The more Barber gets the ball, the better he is and the more the Cowboys win.
      lol, or the more we're ahead in games, leading with the ball, the more opportunities Barber gets to run up late stats, and the more junk numbers he accumulates.

Its the chicken and the egg argument. It's like the stat they used to show on Emmitt and how whenever he got 20 carries, we would win basically every time.

Well, guess what? What happens when you are ahead late in the game? YOU RUN THE BALL. Guess what happens when you are behind? YOU PASS THE BALL. Its stands to reason that when you are winning you are likely to get more carries and when you are losing you are likely to get less. Therefore the assertion that Emmitt getting 20 carries-->Dallas wins is flawed. It's much more like Dallas wins-->Emmitt getting 20 carries.

The same is true here. Barber gets plenty of work late in games we are winning, and does well with the opportunities. Winning is the horse, Barber is the cart. Don't put the horse before the cart.
      Originally posted by 21ST
      He was protecting his self
      Originally posted by tjsunstein
      From what? His leg?
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
        I'm saying we use that first pick on Kenny Phillips. The second pick will be there for whatever dumb pick we make, but we HAVE to have Kenny Phillips.
        I don't know, if Hamlin keeps playing like he's doing I think we'll resign him.

On the Barber/Jones debate, I've lost all of my confidence on Julius. He looks lost on the field, he has no vision, he's not producing. I don't want Barber to be a full time starter, but in today NFL only a few teams have a full time starter at RB. We should pick a guy like Rice, Slaton or Charles to share carries with Barber, a "lighting" type of RB to play along the "thunder".

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
          I don't know, if Hamlin keeps playing like he's doing I think we'll resign him.
          I am assuming he meant Phillips plus Hamlin/Watkins as starters.

Comment

Originally posted by dc4life View Post
            WINS
            Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
            Carolina;9-49-2
            Arizona;13-65-1
            Indianapolis;9-35-2
            Tampa Bay;16-83-2*
            NY Giants;12-76-2
            Atlanta;11-69-2
            NY Giants;11-66-1
            Miami;14-89-2
            8-game totals: 95-532-14
            *Receiving TDs

LOSSES
            Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
            Washington;7-45-0
            New Orleans;2-(-1)-0
            Philadelphia;6-3-0
            Detroit;7-15-1
            Seattle;3-4-0
            5-game totals: 25-66-1

Notice a trend? The more Barber gets the ball, the better he is and the more the Cowboys win.
            Congratulations on quoting Tim McMahon of the cowboys blog of the Dallas Morning News. Again, these stats are augmented and flawed. Here's why Barber gets the ball when the Cowboys win: they're winning. I know that logic was difficult but here's what's to understand. We all know Barber gets the ball in the 4th quarter, and clearly gets the ball more when we're winning in order to kill clock...see the correlation? When we're winning, Barber gets the ball more, and guess what? Most of those teams are worn down and generally aren't as good defenses as the teams that Barber posted worse stats against. This is what I'm talking about when I say don't believe the stats.

Thanks to DMW for also pointing this out...I didn't see your post before I typed all this.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
              Congratulations on quoting Tim McMahon of the cowboys blog of the Dallas Morning News. Again, these stats are augmented and flawed. Here's why Barber gets the ball when the Cowboys win: they're winning. I know that logic was difficult but here's what's to understand. We all know Barber gets the ball in the 4th quarter, and clearly gets the ball more when we're winning in order to kill clock...see the correlation? When we're winning, Barber gets the ball more, and guess what? Most of those teams are worn down and generally aren't as good defenses as the teams that Barber posted worse stats against. This is what I'm talking about when I say don't believe the stats.

Thanks to DMW for also pointing this out...I didn't see your post before I typed all this.
              Not to be rude, but MBIII has made plays at crucial points in the game to turn the tide. Giants last week on the 4th and 1. I remember Carolina last year when we where tied or something. Yesterday too.

I hear ya and agree to some degree but fact is when we need a big run, on an obvious running play, MBIII is a man and JJ is a boy.

Comment

So you are saying in all of these games we've won, MB3 is getting trash stats because we're winning already? Can you not remember any of them? I don't wanna have to go back and check every game and point out how early MB3 scores. I do concede the fact that he does get some padded stats. Example, last year against Carolina he scored in the last 3 min of the game when it was over already. But he also scores when the game is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                  Marion is a nice runner, but he wasn't much better than Julius yesterday. Its getting to the point where its harder and harder to defend JJ and his lack of production, but Barber is a situational player, and that's it. If you were to put a full workload on his shoulders, he would leave you wanting more.

That said, I just can't get out of my head the way that Julius looked in his rookie year. When you put him out on the field and say "you're our guy, go make things happen" I think he could be really, really good. Give him 20+ carries, guaranteed, per game and I think that he might completely change people's perception of him. We know he has it in him somewhere, but I'm starting to agree that both he and the Cowboys need a change of scenery.

ok but what makes you think that MBIII wouldnt do just that if given a chance to get 20 carries? I really dont get how everyone knocks him and says he's good at what he does and cant do more when he has never had a shot...you mean to tell me if he gets 20+ carries he turns into an awful back and cant hit the hole anymore? And on that note, id like to know what JJ has outside of top end speed, that MBIII doesnt...im pretty sure Barber is about the same speed as LJ, and even some of the average speed rb's were great (emmit, curtis martin, bettis)

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

did you watch the game? JJ was in during the 4th qt when we were up, and did nothing, stalled our drive and it went by very quickly...like I said he was getting the same shot to run on that worn down miami defense as Barber was, yet he gets 2 yds and falls, while barber gets 5 when it should of been a loss....I dont know why your acting like Barber is getting some kind of advantage here, JJ got his carries inside the 20, and carries in the 4th, but made nothing out of it

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                    but fact is when we need a big run, on an obvious running play, MBIII is a man and JJ is a boy.
                    couldnt say it much better

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      did you watch the game? JJ was in during the 4th qt when we were up, and did nothing, stalled our drive and it went by very quickly...like I said he was getting the same shot to run on that worn down miami defense as Barber was, yet he gets 2 yds and falls, while barber gets 5 when it should of been a loss....I dont know why your acting like Barber is getting some kind of advantage here, JJ got his carries inside the 20, and carries in the 4th, but made nothing out of it

couldnt say it much better
                      That was one game...you can't generalize based on one game.

And if Barber is soooo good at turning losses into gains, how come he has converted only 50% of his 3rd and 4th and 1 situations? That's really not very good.

Comment

That was one game...you can't generalize based on one game.

And if Barber is soooo good at turning losses into gains, how come he has converted only 50% of his 3rd and 4th and 1 situations? That's really not very good.
                        Those are Marco Rivera stats with BP playing calling. Let us see how Biggie helps that number with Garrett.

Comment

I am with DMW here, Jones seems to be a guy that needs to be getting a large number of carries to be at his best. I think he is pressing too much right now to break off big runs with his limited carries and it's hurting his production. I just don't think mentally he fits with the running back by committee approach, which is neither good or bad just not a good fit for the Cowboys right now. It is unfortunate that he probably wont get a chance to be a feature back though.

Barber has the right mentality and ability to succeed in a committee backfield, but I don't think he quite has the talent to be a feature back.

Comment

Deion Sanders keeps saying it, "Marion carries the ball like it's his last carry". You don't see this too often in the NFL. It's a good and a bad thing. He'll never last running the ball 20-25 times per game. However, I would like to test out that theory.

Comment

well i just dont really buy the whole theory that JJ needs 20-25 carries to really show what he can do...im pretty sure if we split carries 15 and 15 with barber and say for arguments sake willie parker, parker wouldnt need 25 carries to show how explosive and strong he is, he would probably look alot better being fresh and splitting carries...unless your a big bruising back like jamal lewis i dont buy that, especially if your a speed back that falls on the first set of contact

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                                well i just dont really buy the whole theory that JJ needs 20-25 carries to really show what he can do...im pretty sure if we split carries 15 and 15 with barber and say for arguments sake willie parker, parker wouldnt need 25 carries to show how explosive and strong he is, he would probably look alot better being fresh and splitting carries...unless your a big bruising back like jamal lewis i dont buy that, especially if your a speed back that falls on the first set of contact
                                In Julius's defense, he did seem to show a little more bounce and "hard to tackleness" versus Miami.

** Does not change my opinion that Julius is whiney, pretty boy who would prefer to look good in tights than be a HOFer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information