No announcement yet.

Marion the Barbarian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty confident that the carries stay split the way they have been for the rest of this season, which is a good thing. What I'm worried about is next season if we bring in a RB other than Julius, Marion may become the feature back and the increased carries will make him lose his effectiveness. I have no clue why most people here can't understand that Marion will absolutely lose his effectiveness with an increased load. There is no quesiton about it.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
      OK, so that makes the point irrelevant. Signing Bigg and getting Garret make no difference whatsoever.
      That signing will make a difference on maybe half of the runs...if that. If you want to go back and look at the tape, try and tell me that Rivera is responsible every time Barber doesn't get a first down...and the step up in quality is not nearly significant enough to say that Barber did worse just because of a different offensive lineman. Even when Seattle lost Steve Hutchinson (probably the best guard in the league), Shaun Alexander's struggles could not be blamed solely on the loss of one offensive lineman. That is ludicrous.

And I'm pretty sure that the scheme of running the football with 1 yard to go doesn't change that much with a change of offensive coordinators. You still run the ball straight ahead, whether it's Sean Payton, Bill Parcells, or Jason Garrett calling the plays. And remember, Tony Sparano, who had a heavy hand in last year's offense, still has a large responsibility this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
        That signing will make a difference on maybe half of the runs...if that. If you want to go back and look at the tape, try and tell me that Rivera is responsible every time Barber doesn't get a first down...and the step up in quality is not nearly significant enough to say that Barber did worse just because of a different offensive lineman. Even when Seattle lost Steve Hutchinson (probably the best guard in the league), Shaun Alexander's struggles could not be blamed solely on the loss of one offensive lineman. That is ludicrous.

And I'm pretty sure that the scheme of running the football with 1 yard to go doesn't change that much with a change of offensive coordinators. You still run the ball straight ahead, whether it's Sean Payton, Bill Parcells, or Jason Garrett calling the plays. And remember, Tony Sparano, who had a heavy hand in last year's offense, still has a large responsibility this year.
        You brought up his 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 effectiveness in some context making a mildly anti-Barber-starting argument. I think this is correct?

If so, all I mentioned was that his effectiveness in this small role should be much better b/c .....

1) We ugraded 20% of the line significantly in the Running game by getting Big.

2) Our OC's is a little more aggressive and as a result his desire to pass (4th and 1 TD to TO) in these situations will open up those running lanes for MBIII

That was all I said. I think my point is reasonable. I do not believe that stat you choose was very good in context to this team and MBIII.

Not arguing the past nor am I saying this is 0/1 (bi-modal) arguement. Yes Sean ALexander struggled because he lost Hutch. No, 100% of his struggles are not a result of Hutch, maybe 50%, maybe 30%, maybe 80%,

Comment

robert is right, trips is wrong

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Jdallas View Post
            I have no clue why most people here can't understand that Marion will absolutely lose his effectiveness with an increased load. There is no quesiton about it.
            please tell me how you can come to that conclusion with "no question about it"...thats like saying michael turner will lose his effectiveness if he increases his carries with another team not behind LT no question about it....it makes no sense, has no facts to back up the statement, and its been proven to be false many times again in the history of the NFL

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I never understood why Cowboys fans want McFadden so bad when they have Barber on their team. All they need to do is spell him with another back and keep a duo going. They can get that spell back in round 3.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. If the Cowboys get a top 5 pick out of Cleveland, they should go after Jake Long. Or force the need and get Kenny Phillips.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                I never understood why Cowboys fans want McFadden so bad when they have Barber on their team. All they need to do is spell him with another back and keep a duo going. They can get that spell back in round 3.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. If the Cowboys get a top 5 pick out of Cleveland, they should go after Jake Long. Or force the need and get Kenny Phillips.
                Amen brother.

If you really want a speed back nd keep MBIII in his current role, get Slaton in the back half of round 1.

If you want a bruiser and keep MBIII in his current role, take Stewart in the back half.

If you start MBIII as a feature back, then go CB or NT or WR.

You use the 1st round to solve big short-term problems and get potential stars.

But with Jerrah around and his baffling player personnel moves -- I am sure McFadden is the man and we trade up to get him.

Comment

Amen brother.

If you really want a speed back nd keep MBIII in his current role, get Slaton in the back half of round 1.

If you want a bruiser and keep MBIII in his current role, take Stewart in the back half.

But with Jerrah around and his baffling player personnel moves -- I am sure McFadden is the man and we trade up to get him.
                  I don't think Jerry would do that. He knows what he has in Barber. A smart move would be getting Mike Hart in round 2. Him and Barber would be one hell of a 1,2 RB punch.

Honestly, I don't like McFadden that much. He's too tall and lanky. As a pure runner, I don't see him being as good as everyone thinks. Yeah sure, he's a jack of all trades type in college, but at the pro level, if you want to be elite, you have to be elite at a certain position. McFadden is another Reggie Bush but taller and slower, but those types usually don't have dominant success in the pros.

Comment

Amen brother.

Do you really think Slaton will make it as an NFL back. With the type of offense he's in, I'm not sure if that will translate well into the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                      Do you really think Slaton will make it as an NFL back. With the type of offense he's in, I'm not sure if that will translate well into the NFL.
                      Yeah, I don't know what to do with Slaton. He's not really a RB, he's not really a WR. He's just a fast man. I need to see more film on him.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        please tell me how you can come to that conclusion with "no question about it"...thats like saying michael turner will lose his effectiveness if he increases his carries with another team not behind LT no question about it....it makes no sense, has no facts to back up the statement, and its been proven to be false many times again in the history of the NFL
                        Marion is so effective because he runs so hard on all of his carries. If you run 10 100 yard sprints in a row your time will be much faster on your 3rd compared to your 10th. The same is true for Marion and the number of carries he gets in a game. He can run as hard as he can on 6-10 carries a game, but if you start giving him 15-20 you will get diminishing returns.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

I think they should slightly increase his workload, but don't give him 25 carries a game.

I like the thought of anywhere from 15-17 carries a game, and spell him with a guy who will get you 12 to 13 carries a game. Thats a good fit. Initially I thought he should get 80% of the touches, but the more I see him and how he runs, I have a feeling that if his workload is increased that much, he will get injured. He runs like every play is the last play of the game, and its 4th down. That can be dangerous for him in the long run.

A RB by committee is great. It keeps everyone fresh. Im a believer in it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know what to do with Slaton. He's not really a RB, he's not really a WR. He's just a fast man. I need to see more film on him.
                            BTW, I love Mike Hart. 2nd rounder on a Hart type is great. A man on the football field. Not a quitter. Takes blows, gives blows and has the best vision and balance in college today.

On Slaton, to me he is a Reggie Bush type. Better runner but worse receiver. 100% homerun threat.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                              Said the same of Warrick Dunn and Reggie Bush.

A little smallish but real play makers if you ask me.

Comment

Honestly, I don't like McFadden that much. He's too tall and lanky. As a pure runner, I don't see him being as good as everyone thinks.
                                I think he is the real deal. That does not mean however we run out and draft him.

Need to see the whole picture of where the team is at the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information