No announcement yet.

Marion the Barbarian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slaton looks to me like a rich-man's Julius Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
      yeah, I dont see that one. Body type/size...they are similar but, Slaton is much shiftier, has better vision, and will not go down on first contact. Slaton also plays the game in a different gear than Julius.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by Jdallas View Post
        I would rather have Hart than McFadden.
        I'll drink to that. I love McFadden, don't get me wrong. If we didn't have JJ or MB3, I'd be all for him. But the fact is we have both. So it'd be a waste of a pick when we have much more pressing needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
          I look at it like this: Go back in time and tell me the names of the greatest of the great RBs. Emmitt. Barry. Marshall. Thurman Thomas. LT. Running backs like that are not easy to come by. You either have to spend a premium pick, or get lucky as all hell to get a player like that.

Sure, filling the RB position with a solid player is among the easiest things to do come draft day. I'm not looking for "solid". I'm looking for great.

In my humble opinion, only a great quarterback can have more of an impact on a team than a great running back. No defensive player, no offensive lineman, no wide receiver can carry a team like a truly great running back.

To get a guy of that quality, I would basically sacrifice just about anything. Now, if you don't feel that McFadden is the guy, then ok. But if you've ever been the fan of an All-Time Great at the running back position, then you would know what they can do. Every now and again you find someone like that in the mid or late rounds. Most of the time, though, you can spot them coming out of college with a cursory glance. I see that in McFadden. If I'm wrong about that, then so be it. But if I'm right, I have no question that he would be the best player to have in this draft. I respect and value O-line play tremendously, just as you do. I know the importance of pass rushers and cover men. I just don't think that, outside of a great QB, there is anything worth more to a team than a great running back.
          Theres no question that a great RB can do wonders for an offense. And me personally, I think a great RB is 3rd on the list (i have pass rusher ahead of it as far as dominating a game) of players who can take over games.

But, you don't need an elite one to win superbowls. At the end of the day, thats the ultimate goal right? Superbowls are won at the lines. Dominant trenches. I think Dallas has enough firepower on offense to win a SB as is. They are better off ensuring that their oline stays consistently elite by drafting an elite talent at LT. Most teams that won SBs did not have an elite HOF rb. SBs can be won with a RBC. But they cannot be obtained without great line play.

McFadden would be strictly a luxury pick in my eyes. I don't think Dallas is in that position to make such a pick. They need to shore up the dline, get a young WR, a young LT, and a CB. And probably a FS.

If you guys do in fact get him, you shouldnt be upset by any means. He's a great prospect. I just think it would be wiser to invest in other avenues.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Theres no question that a great RB can do wonders for an offense. And me personally, I think a great RB is 3rd on the list (i have pass rusher ahead of it as far as dominating a game) of players who can take over games.

But, you don't need an elite one to win superbowls. At the end of the day, thats the ultimate goal right? Superbowls are won at the lines. Dominant trenches. I think Dallas has enough firepower on offense to win a SB as is. They are better off ensuring that their oline stays consistently elite by drafting an elite talent at LT. Most teams that won SBs did not have an elite HOF rb. SBs can be won with a RBC. But they cannot be obtained without great line play.

McFadden would be strictly a luxury pick in my eyes. I don't think Dallas is in that position to make such a pick. They need to shore up the dline, get a young WR, a young LT, and a CB. And probably a FS.

If you guys do in fact get him, you shouldnt be upset by any means. He's a great prospect. I just think it would be wiser to invest in other avenues.
            Amen. RB in Round 1 never made any real sense to me. OT or DL has to be addressed. RB value can be found all throughout the draft. It's about finding the one that fits your needs. The last thing we need is a prima donna RB that is hungry for money and playing time.

Should I say it again??? Heck, why not.... RAY RICE BABY!!!! :D

Comment

I think they should slightly increase his workload, but don't give him 25 carries a game.

I like the thought of anywhere from 15-17 carries a game, and spell him with a guy who will get you 12 to 13 carries a game. Thats a good fit. Initially I thought he should get 80% of the touches, but the more I see him and how he runs, I have a feeling that if his workload is increased that much, he will get injured. He runs like every play is the last play of the game, and its 4th down. That can be dangerous for him in the long run.

A RB by committee is great. It keeps everyone fresh. Im a believer in it.
              This would be the ideal situation. I'm hoping that JJ can stop pressing so much and run naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                Said the same of Warrick Dunn and Reggie Bush.

A little smallish but real play makers if you ask me.
                Two totally different players.

Dunn can run inside and actually prefers it.
                Bush is always trying to bounce it outside.

I'd take Dunn in his prime over Bush. To be honest, I doubt Bush will ever be a full time back in the NFL.

Comment

How many years does Barber have left in his contract?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                    A rich man's JJ is still pretty bad. Slaton is better than that. I like Slaton, just not in the first round. Late second or beyond, that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                      How many years does Barber have left in his contract?
                      He's restricted this season.

Comment

Amen brother. You are a gaht dang truth teller.

Truth Teller should be your screen name.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                          Two totally different players.

Dunn can run inside and actually prefers it.
                          Bush is always trying to bounce it outside.

I'd take Dunn in his prime over Bush. To be honest, I doubt Bush will ever be a full time back in the NFL.
                          I was not comparing running styles whatsoever. I am saying they can both take it to the house with their speed and elusiveness.

I was simply stating the many people said of Dunn and Bush that they can't deal with the NFL pounding.

So if you disagree with dat ... fine ... but there is no flaw in the analysis as you would point out.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                            Amen brother. You are a gaht dang truth teller.

Truth Teller should be your screen name.
                            They need to shore up the dline, get a young WR, a young LT, and a CB. And probably a FS....

I agree and disagree with BBD...

- I don't think we need to "shore up" (if that means solidifying depth) along the DL. I think we need starters at all 3 positions.

- On WR, I don't think we need another young one. I think the smarter route and the one I prefer is addressing it via FA. Young WRs (that are worth a darn) have to be taken too early in drafts, they also take a while to develop and are a huge gamble. Sure you can hit on one and be lucky, but what first round WR has made a huge splash in the last 5 years (outside of the first 5 picks)? Not too many... if any.

- I do agree on addressing a young LT and CB through the draft.

- FS? Yet to be determined. I like what I've seen of Hamlin so far... Big enough need for a first rounder? I don't think so.

First round worthy needs are LT, DL, CB. That's all. ...and I know we have Free. I see Free as a potential replacement for Kosier if he doesn't pan out at LT.

Comment

All this LT talk makes me sick. I know top 5 LT's are about as much of a lock on draft day as you can get. But we did just draft a stud. Our OL is looking great. If we lose Flo....McQ and Free both have a great chance at being starting LT's. Free showed dominance against everyone except Ware in 1 on 1's. He also shut down everyone in preseason and was our best pass blocking lineman. He was weak when driving the lineman off the ball....but coming off a knee injury could do that to your lower body strength. Give him a year in the offseason in a NFL workout program he will be a top tier LT. What does Jake Long or Sam Baker have that he doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                - On WR, I don't think we need another young one. I think the smarter route and the one I prefer is addressing it via FA. Young WRs (that are worth a darn) have to be taken too early in drafts, they also take a while to develop and are a huge gamble. Sure you can hit on one and be lucky, but what first round WR has made a huge splash in the last 5 years (outside of the first 5 picks)? Not too many... if any.
                                Last year was Santonio Holmes - WR. He would be exactly what the doctor ordered right now. Getting better and better.

MARK CLAYTON WR is putting up. He is also exactly what we are looking for.

ROY WILLIAMS was a good pick at 7

LEE EVANS is a stud and went 13th.

Javon Walker went 20th in 2002. He turned out ok.

Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne came out of 2001 in the first round.

PLAXICO BURRESS came out of the 2000 class.

Now while there isn't an exact prospect that will hit. There has been atleast one WR from the first round turn out to match their draft status since 2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information