Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy shiznits, Tank Johnson!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Say bye-bye to CB Nate Jones, per DC.com

    Edit: According to the same article, tomorrow the 'Boys can put Tank on a Suspended list, freeing up that roster spot until Week 9. So I suppose Nate will be back then.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by BX View Post
      Say bye-bye to CB Nate Jones, per DC.com

      Edit: According to the same article, tomorrow the 'Boys can put Tank on a Suspended list, freeing up that roster spot until Week 9. So I suppose Nate will be back then.
      So instead of like a Stanback who won't play this year you get rid of Jones?

      Groundhog day on Jerrah GM. Wow. Anyway. Hope we beat the Bears.

      Comment


      • #33
        Nobody is going to snatch up Nathan Jones if we release him for a day.

        If we let go of Stanback, he'll be signed away by 1 p.m. tomorrow.

        Comment


        • #34
          Edit: Already reported

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by BX View Post
            Nickel Lineup..

            Ware
            T. Johnson
            Ratliff
            Hatcher

            Burnett
            Carpenter / R. Williams

            That's outrageous.
            With Ellis back I don't know who's gonna play the other DE spot. It's between Hatcher, Spencer and Ellis. Spencer has played the nickel and Hatcher the dime so far.


            In Bob We Trust

            John Madden's wedding video business

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

            Comment


            • #36
              I like the signing. I think, at the very least, we can expect him to be on his best behavior for the rest of this season.

              When you come to the point where you have to choose between having a professional football career, getting paid millions of dollars, and getting hot women, and being a dumb ass, only the most incredibly stupid players make the choice to give up football.

              I hope this helps us.
              Originally posted by 21ST
              He was protecting his self
              Originally posted by tjsunstein
              From what? His leg?
              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
              That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
              "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

              DeMarcus Ware

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                I like the signing. I think, at the very least, we can expect him to be on his best behavior for the rest of this season.

                When you come to the point where you have to choose between having a professional football career, getting paid millions of dollars, and getting hot women, and being a dumb ass, only the most incredibly stupid players make the choice to give up football.

                I hope this helps us.
                Here's a good point:

                I see people question Tank Johnson’s ability to play NT at 300. Sure he can. Nose tackle is about power, technique and leverage. On inside running plays, the nose tackle will be double teamed by the center and the run-side guard, who will then scrape off and chase a linebacker. Good NTs know how to “grab grass” and cause a pileup.

                Johnson played some offset DT at Chicago, tying up centers and keeping star DT Tommie Harris free from double teams. Think back to the great ’90s Cowboys’ teams. Tony Casillas played the same role in Jimmy Johnson’s 4-3 and I don’t think he ever played a game above 285. But Casillas, who excelled on the nose at Oklahoma, understood leverage. He was a master at beating double-teams. He would get inside the center on the run side, engage the guard, dip his shoulder and drop to one knee at just the right time, allowing the guard to slide off, and then grind his way into the running back’s lane.

                If you’ve got the guts and the technique, you can live inside at a smaller weight. Jim Burt did it for Bill Parcells’ 3-4 Giants defenses at 265 lbs. Greg Kragen did it for Dan Reeves’ Super Bowl Broncos 3-4s at the same weight.
                Source: http://theboysblog.com/2007/09/18/chicagos-next/


                In Bob We Trust

                John Madden's wedding video business

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Modano View Post
                  Never saw Jim Burt deal with 320lb Centers, 330 Lb Guards and occasionally 340 lb Tackles.

                  Dimensions have changed. But hey, who cares. We signed a big name into a scheme he does not fit or ever played in.

                  RAH RAH, hope we beat the Bears.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                    I hope this helps us.
                    We agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      what free agents have we signed that are "thugs"? cause im not aware of many, unless your throwing him and TO in the same class
                      You're not aware of the history of the Cowboys are you? Half of the guys on those Superbowl teams (both of them) did coke off of dead hookers at halftime.


                      Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                        You're not aware of the history of the Cowboys are you? Half of the guys on those Superbowl teams (both of them) did coke off of dead hookers at halftime.
                        If we can win the same way, I wouldn't give a damn.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                          Dimensions have changed. But hey, who cares. We signed a big name into a scheme he does not fit or ever played in.

                          RAH RAH, hope we beat the Bears.
                          You don't know if he fits in the scheme. It's very hard to find a true 3-4 NT, it's very hard to find one comin out of college and it's almost impossible to pick one from another 3-4 team, they're not gonna give their NT to another team.
                          Guys like Soliai or Branch haven't ever play the position, but you wanted the team to draft them. Why you were sure that they could play the position? Don't tell me because they're big. Haloti Ngata is big but he plays DE, not NT. Kelly Gregg is the NT in Baltimore and he is 310 (10 more than Johnson).
                          So you'll have to wait at least to week 9 and see how Tank plays the position. You don't even know if he can play at bigger size, but you're already pulling the trigger on him being an horrible acquisition.


                          In Bob We Trust

                          John Madden's wedding video business

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Here is the contract info...no garunteed money...he is basically free to cut at anytime. So for all the nay-sayers out there....it didn't hurt to give him a chance.

                            The Cowboys will pay Johnson a prorated base salary of $510,000 this year, depending on how many games he plays, and he will earn a $605,000 base salary in 2008 with the chance to earn more money through incentives. (ed. note - the prorated salary is expected to be $225,000 this year)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              You don't know if he fits in the scheme.
                              That can be said of every player, every time they move teams, from pop warner to JV, JV to Varsity, Varsity to College and College to Pros.

                              Regardless, any GM can go out and sign any big name from FA (or Waiver Wire) and plug them into a "position of need" then claim "it doesn't work."

                              I just don't buy this line of thinking about not knowing. You are like the 3rd or 4th poster who uses it and it perplexes me.

                              When taking a player -- you are projecting. When projecting you don't "know" 100% but you assign probabilities, qualitatively or quantitatively.

                              I give Tank a very low shot at being anything more than what Ratliff is right now. A light Tackle who penetrates nicely.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              It's very hard to find a true 3-4 NT.
                              This is why smart GMs draft them and develop them. But since Jerrah GM does neither.

                              Personally, I just don't think Jerrah is commited to the 3-4 and never has been.

                              Which explains all the first rounders and FA signings that don't fit the scheme.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              it's very hard to find one comin out of college and it's almost impossible to pick one from another 3-4 team, they're not gonna give their NT to another team.
                              I never said GIVE. I said trade. A nice 2nd rounder or 3rd for a developmental guy.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              Guys like Soliai or Branch haven't ever play the position, but you wanted the team to draft them. Why you were sure that they could play the position?
                              This is the KNOW argument once again. Their is a 0% chance and 99.9% chance. Pick a number and assign it. I do 50%.

                              But I think is is MORE LIKELY and fat ass like Soliai or Watson who are not big penterators can play 3-4 Two Gap NT.

                              Tank I give a 25% chance as a NT.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              Don't tell me because they're big.
                              There is a 100% correlation between being very thick (big top to bottom and sideways) and being a great NT.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              Haloti Ngata is big but he plays DE, not NT. Kelly Gregg is the NT in Baltimore and he is 310 (10 more than Johnson).
                              Haloti was picked to be a DT/NT in the Hybrid system.

                              Kelley is a true 0 Gap NT who is also 5"10. 310 and 5"10 is almost as good (with long arms) as 6"4 and 340.

                              But pulling one (bad) example from your hat is not a probabalistic argument. It is like saying "You gotta being in it to win it" when discussing the lottery.

                              Sure but ... your odds increase as you buy more tickets. So if you want to pick a NT you find measurements closer to a template so that you can succeed.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              So you'll have to wait at least to week 9
                              I don't need to wait to have a strong opinion. What new data get presented once he plays he subject to renewed analysis.

                              TIll then, I will take a hypothesis driven approach to addressing Key Issues and Potential Solutions.

                              To me it is much better than your approach and say "You don't know." "We will see." That approach is called Boiling the Ocean -- it works if you have unlimited time and unlimited money and unlimited opportunities.

                              Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              and see how Tank plays the position. You don't even know if he can play at bigger size, but you're already pulling the trigger on him being an horrible acquisition.
                              Maybe he can. Once again, picking up any player is a probabilistic game. I assign a low probability to Tank being able to effectively be anything more than Ratliff when what we need is Casey Hampton.

                              Modano, I know you love the team but it is DEFENSIVELY a miss mash of very talented ball players with at least half of the starters out of position.

                              (** and don't think this "You Don't Know" argument does not equally apply to saying "Sit Roy and we are better" or for that matter that "Spears is a NT." You don't know either. **)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by thule View Post
                                So for all the nay-sayers out there....it didn't hurt to give him a chance.
                                Sure it does, it took away a roster spot from another player who could help.

                                Who helps out more is definately a "You Don't Know" situation.

                                You are just placing bets. It is not a zero sum game.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information