RFA Marion Barber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
    the more i think about all these contracts, the more i see jerry jones letting both rb's go and going after mcfadden depending on our draft pick. I know d-unit has pointed out that this will actually create bigger problems for us but lets remember we are talking about jerry jones.

he likes to make a big splash and create a buzz.... although Lt is an area of need along with cb and nt, none of them would attract as many fans as mcfadden.

whatever, i cant say mcfadden and a cb would kill me, ive loved the idea as well as hated it so i guess we just have to wait and see how things pan out.
    I see Barber getting a pretty solid deal from us. I think JJ values what he has done for us.

Comment

If Barber gets more tds then he has last yr, I really dont see how we dont resign him, its alot cheaper to resign barber, take a fast rb in the 2nd or 3rd and sign him, vs sign DMac...and its already a proven position, Id rather not go back to the draft on a position that is getting good production...

But we did have an issue, him, Romo, T New, somethings gotta give

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        If Barber gets more tds then he has last yr, I really dont see how we dont resign him, its alot cheaper to resign barber, take a fast rb in the 2nd or 3rd and sign him, vs sign DMac...and its already a proven position, Id rather not go back to the draft on a position that is getting good production...

But we did have an issue, him, Romo, T New, somethings gotta give
        A LOT'S gotta give.

Comment

Remember that if we play well and make a deep playoff run or win the Superbowl, Marion would probably stay for less to be on a winning team.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Jdallas View Post
            Remember that if we play well and make a deep playoff run or win the Superbowl, Marion would probably stay for less to be on a winning team.
            That's incredibly wishful thinking. Besides, the organization could always trade down a couple of spots, which I believe would help save cap space even if there are more players drafted, as the #5 overall would cost more than the #9 overall and an extra third rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
              That's incredibly wishful thinking. Besides, the organization could always trade down a couple of spots, which I believe would help save cap space even if there are more players drafted, as the #5 overall would cost more than the #9 overall and an extra third rounder.
              I just posted on a thread about this.

If talking first rounders and other day 1 picks, trading down to save money on the cap is not an option. You basically end up with 2 players making as much a 1 player -- unless you give away draft picks (not).

Trading picks this year for picks in the coming drafts is the only practical way of doing this.

Comment

If we tendered Marion a first round tender and another team signed him anyway, I'd LOVE IT!!

I'd trade MBIII for a 1st rounder all day every day. He's a nice player but he's not a top 10 RB in this league, in fact, I don't think he's top 15 in this league. I'd take a first round pick for him any day.

I'd rather have Maroney, Addai, Marshawn Lynch on the team (all mid-late first round picks) than MBIII.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  Except for the fact that this is a very weak draft.
                  I'll take Jonathan Stewart over Marion Barber any day...or you trade up with your two first rounders and get Darren McFadden.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
                    If we tendered Marion a first round tender and another team signed him anyway, I'd LOVE IT!!

I'd trade MBIII for a 1st rounder all day every day. He's a nice player but he's not a top 10 RB in this league, in fact, I don't think he's top 15 in this league. I'd take a first round pick for him any day.

I'd rather have Maroney, Addai, Marshawn Lynch on the team (all mid-late first round picks) than MBIII.
                    THANK YOU!!!

Judast, I was wondering how long this MM session would go on before someone brought a little bit of levity and reality to the conversation.

Marion Barber is what he is. He's a nice player who has shined in a specific role on a team with tons of complimentary players around him. I love him plenty, but I'm not going to be saying that he is anywhere near 1st round level value.

You have to remember what a 1st rounder is worth in this league. Randy Moss, possibly the most prolific receiver in NFL history during his absolute apex, was traded for basically a 1st rounder and a few decent players. Daunte Culpepper, just one season removed from a top 5 all-time statistical season and supposedly in his prime (though there were injury issues as well as a pretty horrible start to the previous year) only netted a 2nd rounder.

If any of you think for one second that Barber would ever, EVER be signed at--not just the bloated expense of the contract it would take to get him--the cost of a 1st round pick (let alone a 1st and 3rd), you are delusional. The season will end and, depending on the circumstances surrounding the team at the time, Dallas will determine whether to tender him at the 1st round level or the 2nd round level. There is no way we will tender him at the highest level (1st and 3rd). That will lead to us getting another year of him at 1.2-2.0mil. Then, at the end of 2008 we will re-evaluate the situation and determine whether to commit to him long-term.

And for all the "cap hell! cap hell!" shouters out there, realize that we are currently TWELVE MILLION under the cap. We will sign Romo this season, and allocate as much of his signing money to this year's cap as possible, thus putting us in a great position down the road, and freeing up tons of room for possible future free-agent additions, extensions of current players and our high(though maybe not so high as we thought) 1st rounder from Cleveland.

Please, Marion is a good player, don't make the entire Dallas Cowboys fanbase look stupid by acting like he is a franchise back. He is a backup RB who has excelled in certain situations, and scored a lot of TD......with a LOT of opportunities. Don't kid yourself into thinking that there are a dozen GMs out there just waiting to throw the farm at him. It's a ridiculous notion.
                    Originally posted by 21ST
                    He was protecting his self
                    Originally posted by tjsunstein
                    From what? His leg?
                    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                      I would definitely take a 1st and 3rd Round pick for Marion Barber, probably even a 1st. With that pick we could certainly take a running back. I'd rather have a back who can be a full-time ballcarrier than one who is a very good situational back. 3 first round picks would definitely give us a TON of options in the first round.
                      It's funny you say this but have Julius Jones sig.
                      "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
                      4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                        Please, Marion is a good player, don't make the entire Dallas Cowboys fanbase look stupid by acting like he is a franchise back. He is a backup RB who has excelled in certain situations, and scored a lot of TD......with a LOT of opportunities. Don't kid yourself into thinking that there are a dozen GMs out there just waiting to throw the farm at him. It's a ridiculous notion.
                        I'm not convinced on that... There's no guarantee that Marion can't be a feature back. Addai wasn't a feature back even at the college level, he shared carries with Rhodes last year and the Colts had no fear in making him their future back, and it's so far so good for them.
                        Right now Marion is a very special player, he scored 16 TD's last year behind a not so great OL, this year is playing great, I think it's impossibile to say how he could perform as a feature back.

And don't forget that the Patriots picked Moss for a fourth rounder but also spent a second round on Wes Walker.

If Julius Jones leaves after the season we could easily replace him with just another guy, if Marion leaves it will be way harder to replace him.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

with cleveland winning we might not be picking as high as we thought anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                            THANK YOU!!!

Judast, I was wondering how long this MM session would go on before someone brought a little bit of levity and reality to the conversation.

Marion Barber is what he is. He's a nice player who has shined in a specific role on a team with tons of complimentary players around him. I love him plenty, but I'm not going to be saying that he is anywhere near 1st round level value.

You have to remember what a 1st rounder is worth in this league. Randy Moss, possibly the most prolific receiver in NFL history during his absolute apex, was traded for basically a 1st rounder and a few decent players. Daunte Culpepper, just one season removed from a top 5 all-time statistical season and supposedly in his prime (though there were injury issues as well as a pretty horrible start to the previous year) only netted a 2nd rounder.

If any of you think for one second that Barber would ever, EVER be signed at--not just the bloated expense of the contract it would take to get him--the cost of a 1st round pick (let alone a 1st and 3rd), you are delusional. The season will end and, depending on the circumstances surrounding the team at the time, Dallas will determine whether to tender him at the 1st round level or the 2nd round level. There is no way we will tender him at the highest level (1st and 3rd). That will lead to us getting another year of him at 1.2-2.0mil. Then, at the end of 2008 we will re-evaluate the situation and determine whether to commit to him long-term.

And for all the "cap hell! cap hell!" shouters out there, realize that we are currently TWELVE MILLION under the cap. We will sign Romo this season, and allocate as much of his signing money to this year's cap as possible, thus putting us in a great position down the road, and freeing up tons of room for possible future free-agent additions, extensions of current players and our high(though maybe not so high as we thought) 1st rounder from Cleveland.

but at the same time, its almost like your throwing out the notion that he CAN be a feature back, and it baffles me how people can say something wont happen when they person has never been given an opportunity...your right in that he excells in what he does right now, but isnt that what youd expect? to excell when given an opportunity, i dont see how you can just easily say "oh he's not that great, product of our system, and he cant be a full load feature back because i can see it"

we dont know if he can carry 20 times a game or not or be our feature back, and it is up in the air, but you just cannot throw out the notion as if he's tried and failed before

Comment

I think 5 years for $8 million would be a good sign. Then draft a speedy change of pace type of guy this year in the 3rd or 4th round.
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                                I think 5 years for $8 million would be a good sign. Then draft a speedy change of pace type of guy this year in the 3rd or 4th round.
                                I think that's wishful thinking. Lamont Jordan was in a similar boat back when he was with the Jets. He was simply a power back in a committee that everyone thought highly of. He signed a new contract with the Raiders back in '05 and I don't think his hype comes near the hype Barber has been getting around the league these days. Well anyways, his contract was on 3/3/2005 when he signed a five-year, $27.5 million contract. The deal includes $11 million guaranteed. 2007: $1 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2008: $4.7 million, 2009: $5 million, 2010: Free Agent.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information