Week 6: Cowboys vs. Patriots Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaddHatter View Post
    I hope you're not talking about Courtney Brown who is listed as out for a couple more weeks with a torn biceps
    You are right, I had no idea.

Regardless, pick a corner. Point is get the weakest corner in combination with the Safety Over the Top to go out and be the sacrificial lamb with Randy.

Nate Jones? Alan Ball? Aaron Glenn? errr.....

Comment

I still think Moss goes off, he has always said he wanted to be a Cowboy, and vowed to make sure we payed for it, who did we take over him that year anyway??

but still, hamlin or roy, i dont care who, if we hit him in the mouth he wont play the same all game....id prefer hamlin, he makes the most of it, roy might miss all together....

even if we double moss, i wouldnt mind seeing T New on Moss, i really dont even want him to get comfortable this game, and i want him to know every time he tries to make a catch over the middle how he did against cincy we wont let it happen without punishment...

and please, please let TO back up his talking...for once can he show me a game of dominance, no drops, because he makes everyone elses job so much easier

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I wonder if we'll see TO on Defense any this week... haha - have him go up against Moss as the Ballhawk S in our Dime/Nkl Defense

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

Comment

Reeves on Moss 1 on 1 is a recipe for disaster. I think you'll see some double teams and us rolling a safety over in protection.

The best way to defend Moss is a good pass rush on Brady. If we had both Henry & Newman starting this week, you could easily put Newman on Moss everywhere he goes, but that isn't the case. We need to get creative this game.

Comment

Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
            Reeves on Moss 1 on 1 is a recipe for disaster. I think you'll see some double teams and us rolling a safety over in protection.

The best way to defend Moss is a good pass rush on Brady. If we had both Henry & Newman starting this week, you could easily put Newman on Moss everywhere he goes, but that isn't the case. We need to get creative this game.
            I actually think Reeves matches up pretty well on Moss. Jacques is one of the fastest guys on our team, and yes he does gift up the soft underneath throw once in a while, but that's not really what Moss is good at. I personally like that match up, although Reeves could use some help.

But yes, getting pressure is the key to this game. And I think that Jay Ratliff will be huge, especially if Dan Koppen is out again.

Comment

Richard Seymour is out, and Harrison is in right?

just want to make sure both werent playing

Comment

We took Ellis that year with our #1, and would have taken Moss if it wasn't for the firestorm of negative pub that Irvin had generated.

As for the idea of keeping Reeves matched up with Moss......that is the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. Even with safety help over the top, Reeves will get torched all day long on short and medium routes.

I actually think that Reeves matches up really well with Stallworth. He has the speed to contain him on deep passes, and Stallworth's lack of discipline in his route-running, and inconsistent separation ability will negate Reeves lack of technique and change-of-direction skill. Newman would be great against Welker....but then who do we put on Moss? If we had Henry, I would say match Reeves up with Donte, TNew up with Welker, and Henry vs. Moss with a safety rolled over the top on 75% of passing downs.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. As is, we will probably be forced to play a lot of zone, and let Brady pick us apart. If we had all of our guys at 100% healthy, I would be willing to predict a victory. Since we don't, I really don't see us winning the game unless we get something of an explosive play or two early, or NE makes a couple big mistakes.

The good news is that we have regularly stayed with or beaten the best team from the AFC division we have played every year since 04 (remember us outplaying Pittsburgh for 58 minutes the year they went 15-1, with the game turning on the flukey Vinny T. fumble off of the helmet of our RB when we were up by 4 at the 2 minute warning?). SD and Denver in 05, and then beating Indy in 06. This is a good sign for our chances against NE.

But like I said, our best chance will be controlling the ball with the running game, and making Brady move his feet when he throws the ball. Not much of a hope, but still a hope.
                Originally posted by 21ST
                He was protecting his self
                Originally posted by tjsunstein
                From what? His leg?
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Rob, I just don't think we can allow the Pats to run in the middle. We can run our nickel and dime package all day but we need to be strong in the middle. If this means sitting in our base defense in running situations and dropping back into a zone so be it...if they establish a inside running game we have no chance.

One thing I really didn't mention in my post was zone coverages. I still think Newman sticks on Welker...who is Brady's favorite target over Moss imo. He goes to Moss when he needs something but Welker is his bread and butter. With Newman glued we eliminated one of their options. In passing situations sure bring in the Dime defense. We eliminate Welker...we play Reeves and Jones on the outside and we play zone. We shouldn't get beat deep with Hamlin and Watkins...Just get to Brady...and that shouldn't be a problem. But this is our best chance of neutralizing their threats.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                    Rob, I just don't think we can allow the Pats to run in the middle. We can run our nickel and dime package all day but we need to be strong in the middle. If this means sitting in our base defense in running situations and dropping back into a zone so be it...if they establish a inside running game we have no chance.

One thing I really didn't mention in my post was zone coverages. I still think Newman sticks on Welker...who is Brady's favorite target over Moss imo. He goes to Moss when he needs something but Welker is his bread and butter. With Newman glued we eliminated one of their options. In passing situations sure bring in the Dime defense. We eliminate Welker...we play Reeves and Jones on the outside and we play zone. We shouldn't get beat deep with Hamlin and Watkins...Just get to Brady...and that shouldn't be a problem. But this is our best chance of neutralizing their threats.
                    I agree (AS A TACTIC) that if containing run then you are playing either Full Zone or Cover 4 all day. Either way under this scenario, I think you need Burnett, Carpenter/Williams, Ware and Ellis/Spencer -- and we don't give up a ton in run D. Ayodele and Bradie, however, in coverage is just scary -- zone or man.

I just don't think this is the right tactic. To me stoping the pass is most important. The run for New England is a diversion and if forced to move slowly down field they will get frustrated.

PLUS, frankly, I don't see them running on us with a 3WR set. I think our Nickel Cover 1 is not a running opportunity for New England.

Either way, it is complicated and I can see where your point is but I am of the mind that passing scores points. If we let them throw in order to stop the run they can blow us out b/c their passing game is so efficient. If this was Pittsburgh I would be of oppositte mind.

I think we can score 27 - 35 points on them. We just need to make sure we don't give up more than 3-4 scores -- and that means contain the passing game moreso than running game.

OT: I think Julius is a better runner for NE than Marion. Marion is more a cut back guy. NE is too good a tackling team and too good a Gap Control team.

For ONCE, I think a straight line, one cut type runner with speed would be better for us.

JJ is a better option for us versus this tea. I like a guy to hit it fast and not dance too much at the LOS looking for the hole (like MBIII). Julius, if anything , is this type of runner.
                    Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 10-12-2007, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      This is THE thread.

I was listening to Parcells talk about the game and the thing that stuck out to me was that he said, "Dallas is going to have to beat New England doing something other than what they've done, and I don't mean strategically, just meaning in philosophical approach."

That is some deep crap. If the Cowboys are to change their philosophical approach, what the heck are they going to do??? What can they do??? What will they do???
                      Well he mentioned that Bellichick will take away what Dallas relies on the most (TO), and will try to take out what they rely on the 2nd most (Witten) and force you to beat them consistently with the other pieces.

Im guessing, he meant that Romo, Crayton and Hurd are gonna have to have big games to expose the coverage schemes that will be thrown at Dallas.

Im really looking forward to this game. Its basically the old scheme in Dallas vs the new scheme in Dallas. Bellichick runs the same exact D as BP, just with better players (or at least players better suited to run the scheme). But as I watch Wade's scheme more, while its different, its also very effective and I like it. Not as much as the 2 gap scheme, but I still like it.

I shouldn't call it the same exact scheme. Let me rephrase that. Philosophically, what you'll see from NE this game is what BP wanted to execute in Dallas. He had to work around some issues and adjust his scheme to a certain extent because he didn't have the pieces to run his scheme as effectively as NE, but from a philosophical point of view, what you see on Sunday is what BP wanted to do.

Im looking forward to the Newman vs Moss matchup. I think Newman will do a standup job. Also, I expect TO to have a good game.

I guarantee you this. As much as I hate Terrell Owens and think he's a classless jerk, there is not a single player on either team working harder right now than him in preparation for this game. Thats for sure.

Comment

OT: I am so beyond sick of the Patriot hype. They are an excellent team but I just don't see who they have beat to justify the hype.

Example, today they put a graphic showing the Cowboys put up points versus 30,28,25,23, and 22 ranked D (AVG 25.6). With the intent of saying the Pats # 6 will defend us better. Fair enuff .....

No mention of the fact the Patriots have put up points on the 20,23,26,29,31 ranked D (avg 25.8). And we have the #13 D so far. No TDs last two games. Would be #5 D w/o 4 wacky TDs.

Yo dog are we being fair here? Pats have played as cream puff as we have. I just don't see the love. No objectivity.

I know these guys have 3 SB but last two years they have been beaten and beaten up in the playoffs. This is the same team with new WR. Not necessarily any tougher today than last year.

SO waht gives guys?

Comment

Marcus Spears popping off about Spy Gate.

Ugggggggggggggggggg.

No wonder Parcells kept the media away.

Can a more uninspiring player say anything worse than what he said questioning the Pats?

Comment

Just a sidenote on what you brought up, BBD. I think the main thing holding BP back from doing what he wanted to with this defense was the lack of a dominant DL to provide an interior pass rush, an unblockable run-stopper, and simultaneously take away attention from the rush-backers. That is the main thing that BB has in spades that BP couldn't get. I truly think that everything else was in place for Bill to do his thing. Give him Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren and you would see a whole different product out on that field.

As corroboration for this, back in the 05 draft he was said to covet Spears more than any other prospect in the draft. There were rumors that he engaged in a heated debate over who to take with #11, and that, while he loved Ware, he thought that getting the big but athletic plugger to anchor his DL was the #1 priority.

I still think that Leonard Marshall was the most underrated member of that dominant Giant D of the 80s. It never would have been the same without a guy like him. If Spears had become that type of player, my bet is that Parcells would still be coaching.
                            Originally posted by 21ST
                            He was protecting his self
                            Originally posted by tjsunstein
                            From what? His leg?
                            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Randy Moss is gonna catch 4 TDs and go for 200 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by yodachu View Post
                                Randy Moss is gonna catch 4 TDs and go for 200 yards.
                                And the Rams will score 10 points :)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information