Screw McFadden... Give me Hart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
    Well in light of Bill Parcell's recent comments that Barber should be a feature back if there was a better 3rd down back in Dallas .... Steve Slaton comes to mind.
    That's cool. I didn't see BP say that about Barber. Slaton would be a decent scat back. But that's not worth a high pick.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddHatter View Post
      Now I know this is a dangerous statement on this board with everyones hardon for McFadden, but hear me out...

For the Price it would cost, I think Hart's payoff is much higher then McFaddens.

I mean if Hart was there for our 2nd round pick or maybe we sent a late 2nd day with our 2nd to trade up a few picks for him, I'd much rather do that then take McFadden with our 1a pick (and especially if it meant trading up.)

Why you ask? Well McFadden is a speedster - that's it. He can't break tackles (julius), he's hit or miss (julius) and he tends to fumble more often then not (not a plus) - I've seen many of his games, and I went back and watched several "highlight" reels just to make sure, and I didn't see one play where he broke a tackle. Every run was him using his speed to the outside and breaking one off, and typically it was against less then steller teams. In the NFL, Defenses are faster and his speed will be somewhat negated. He'll get beat down if he tries to go between the tackles, and, in my mind, won't be any different then Jones.

Mike Hart on the other hand is shifty, he's hard to tackle and has some speed to boot. He'll fight for every yard and hasn't had a fumble in what... 164 carries? (WOW!) Some might say he runs behind a better line, but Long is really the only stud on that line and he plays against pretty solid defenses day in and day out.

If they both demanded a Top 5 pick, I'd probably pass on both, but with Hart likely to fall to the bottom of the 2nd, I think the price:upside ratio is much better and we're really just talking about someone to split carries with Barber, making it even harder to imagine investing a Top 10 pick on him

Am I alone on this?
      this is like saying u would rather draft marshawn lynch over AD for the price it would cost. theres just not justification for it. btw mcfadden is the superstar player julius never was in college or the NFL.

Comment

In my opinion, if we're looking for an upgrade at running back (which it seems like a lot of people want), we need a player who will be able to come in and be a force in the running game. Value's great, but at this point, what other needs do we really have? To me, an offensive playmaker is certainly one of the top three priorities for this draft, along with DB depth and NT depth. When you have a high pick, you are looking for a player who can be a game changer. I don't see any CB in this draft being able to be a difference maker. And everyone's opinion differs on Glenn Dorsey as a nosetackle. To me, that leaves "offensive playmaker" as the number one priority in this draft. That playmaker could come in the form of Darren McFadden, DeSean Jackson, Jonathan Stewart, etc. In my mind, one of those guys would be the biggest impact player on the Cowboys next season.

Comment

Posted by Tim Mac on DMN

Sports Illustrated's Paul Zimmerman wrote about the NFL's lack of "blood 'n guts runners," identifying Marion "The Barbarian" Barber as the best of the bunch.

Dr. Z mentioned that he can sort of understand the theory of bringing Barber off the bench, even though it's obvious that he's a better player than Julius Jones. Barber is, as Bill Parcells put it, a perfect closer.

"He's so versatile that he's a perfect guy to finish a game for you," Parcells told Dr. Z. "Actually his versatility hurts his status as a featured back. I'll tell you, though. If I'd have had a third down back at Dallas, a Dave Meggett type, I'd have made Barber my featured back."

Hmmmm ... very interesting, especially with Jones' contract up at the end of the year. The Cowboys just might be able to find a third-down, change-of-pace back in the middle rounds of the draft and make Barber a 15-20-carry-per-game guy.

Matter of fact, I have the perfect player in mind. He's a Denton kid who is starring for Houston, which just happens to be Wade Phillips' alma mater. Meet Anthony Alridge.
          I looked up Alridge on espn. Big play threat can take it the distance. Great hands can slot out and play WR in situations. Great kick returner. Good hands. Small...not a tough guy by any means. But Explosive big play threat.

I like the match...require a 2nd day pick so be it.

Comment

For what it is worth, DMAC plus Barber would be a fantastic backfield. Won't happen unless Anderson goes down soon.

Other possibles: Stewart gets me excited b/c I love big running backs and he does have giddy up.

Slaton, to me, is a poor man's Reggie Bush and he has more big runs in college than Reggie ever did.

Love Hart but he is Barber, except smaller with a little better speed and less bulk. But I love him.

Given the CB and LT depth in this draft plus the possible junior WRs ////// I would not mind ending up with 1 first, 2 seconds and 3 thirds -- and address everything we need with immediate help.

OT: Is Dre Moore another Maryland beast? 6'4 311? Who does he remidn you guys of?

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
              Posted by Tim Mac on DMN

I looked up Alridge on espn. Big play threat can take it the distance. Great hands can slot out and play WR in situations. Great kick returner. Good hands. Small...not a tough guy by any means. But Explosive big play threat.

I like the match...require a 2nd day pick so be it.
              Yeah I watched Alridge against my Ducks in the opener and was quite impressed. Very quick with excellent burst through the hole, and he runs with fire. I agree he would be a nice complement to Barber. Imagine a little dude like that hiding behind Big Davis. I'd have to watch him a bit more to really evaluate whether I thought he'd be a good choice, but he made a great first impression on me. Seems like a passionate guy who loves the game and would give it his all on every play. He appears to be faster than Jones from what I remember, but I don't recall really examining his patience or vision. He really didn't need those two things against my Ducks. Haha.

Comment

I've really become a fan of Jonathan Stewart lately. He seems like the total package and is ideal in this physical/power running offense we're starting to transition to.

Comment

How about Steve Slaton as our 3rd down back?

He's fast as hell and can be our true home run hitter

Comment

Look at you two. One says physical power is ideal and the other says we need a fast as hell home run hitter.

For my money, I'd take Stewart over Slaton all day everyday.

Comment

Well, if Barber is good at being on the field on third downs does it make sense to bring in a back and take him out of those situations?? I dont know, he's a great blocker, receiver out of the backfield, tough runner, everything you want on third downs, and he has excelled at doing it so far...Id rather a guy come in and spell his series and keep his carries around 20 a game, vs just taking him out on third downs

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I would like to see a wr with punt return abilities come here. And as I have said many times, the only guy on the d-line that I have been ok with is Ratliff. It pisses me off big time to consider drafting a defensive lineman again, cause we have spent a 1st, 3rd and 4th and none of them seem to be able to play to that potential to me. Having said that, d-line seems to me to be the weakest link. Untill it is fixed, I dont see the linebackers reaching their full potential.

Corner back is something I see a lot of people wanting on this forum. I wouldnt be mad with a first round corner, but I dont see what some seem to think is a major need. My mind is open, and I would like to see other's thoughts on it. Henry and Newman are perfectly ok to me. A nickel corner/potential starter replacement would be nice. But our cornerback play to me is head and shoulders above our defensive line play.

I get frusterated watching the 3-4 teams that get pressure without blitzing linebackers. It really drives me insane how we get no pressure unless we blitz linebackers.

Once again, i hate the idea of drafting a d-lineman because of what we have spent in the past on that position. But we wont play with the pats untill our d-line is somewhere near theirs.

Am I alone on my planet?? Or do some of you feel the same way??
                        I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                          I would like to see a wr with punt return abilities come here. And as I have said many times, the only guy on the d-line that I have been ok with is Ratliff. It pisses me off big time to consider drafting a defensive lineman again, cause we have spent a 1st, 3rd and 4th and none of them seem to be able to play to that potential to me. Having said that, d-line seems to me to be the weakest link. Untill it is fixed, I dont see the linebackers reaching their full potential.

Corner back is something I see a lot of people wanting on this forum. I wouldnt be mad with a first round corner, but I dont see what some seem to think is a major need. My mind is open, and I would like to see other's thoughts on it. Henry and Newman are perfectly ok to me. A nickel corner/potential starter replacement would be nice. But our cornerback play to me is head and shoulders above our defensive line play.

I get frusterated watching the 3-4 teams that get pressure without blitzing linebackers. It really drives me insane how we get no pressure unless we blitz linebackers.

Once again, i hate the idea of drafting a d-lineman because of what we have spent in the past on that position. But we wont play with the pats untill our d-line is somewhere near theirs.

Am I alone on my planet?? Or do some of you feel the same way??
                          You make some good points. That WR with punt return abilities is Stanback... I think.

I agree DL is the weakest link and our LBs would be so much better with a DL. I understand the desire not to want to spend draft picks on them, but the fact of the matter is that I'll spend FA money or draft picks or trade as long as we upgrade the unit somehow. I've been having a good feeling about Tank Johnson, so I feel settled... for now at least. If we have to spend a high pick on a DE, I'm for at as long as the value is there.

CB is a need imo because depth is so important. Right now we just need a nickel guy, but things change quickly in the NFL. As long as we address it on Day 1, I'm happy. It doesn't have to be a first rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            Look at you two. One says physical power is ideal and the other says we need a fast as hell home run hitter.

For my money, I'd take Stewart over Slaton all day everyday.
                            Gotta agree with taking Stewart. If we have two pounding RBs then teams won't wanna get off the bus against us.

Comment

Mike Hart on the other hand is shifty, he's hard to tackle and has some speed to boot. He'll fight for every yard and hasn't had a fumble in what... 164 carries? (WOW!) Some might say he runs behind a better line, but Long is really the only stud on that line and he plays against pretty solid defenses day in and day out.
                              It's more like 900 touches my friend. He hasn't lost a fumble since the first month of his freshman year, either running or receiving.

Good to see that at least someone thinks more highly of Hart than McFadden.
                              R.I.P. L.E.F.
                              "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                                It's more like 900 touches my friend. He hasn't lost a fumble since the first month of his freshman year, either running or receiving.

Good to see that at least someone thinks more highly of Hart than McFadden.
                                both should be 1st round RBs along with jonathan stewart however i doubt hart will get enough praise from some scouts to sneak in..theres no doubt in my mind he will produce big at the next level

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information