Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradie James, BABY!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bradie James, BABY!!!

    Don't know how many people are going to be willing to admit it, but with what has transpired, they damn well should.

    After this last game, in which Bradie was legitimately everywhere, I don't know how you could make a case that this guy isn't among the 3 or 4 best ILB in the conference, and playing at a Pro Bowl, or at least near-Pro Bowl, level. They guy has gotten sacks, he is flying to the football, he's lighting people up, running with TEs....he's doing it all. The only complaint that you could legitimately make is that he still looks a little less than fluid in coverage....BUT HE"S A LINEBACKER! That's what is expected out of a LB in coverage, and only the elite few don't have to deal with that.

    This guy has been a leader on the defense, he's playing fast, he's gotten his weight down, and he's making plays.

    I know its too much to ask for people to admit they were wrong, especially the ones that happened to be wrong about this particular subject, but it really is obvious. This guy is becoming a beast, and I'm loving every minute of it.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

    DeMarcus Ware

  • #2
    I never avoid crow when I'm wrong.

    Still not ready to admit anything on James. Though he was definitely more active than Ayodele yesterday.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bradie is a perfect example of a player being much less appreciated at home than he is abroad. Lots of posters on NFLDC value and admire James as a good player, and he gets all sorts of hell here because he isn't the second coming of Lee Roy Jordan.

      But I wasn't mainly talking about you, D. You have given him some grief, but not nearly as much as a certain dumb*** that will remain unnamed at this time.
      Originally posted by 21ST
      He was protecting his self
      Originally posted by tjsunstein
      From what? His leg?
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
      That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
      "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

      DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • #4
        He's really developing into our defensive captain, props to him

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
          I don't know how you could make a case that this guy isn't among the 3 or 4 best ILB in the conference.
          Division maybe.

          Too funny. I heard the same about Royanda Williams, Julia Jones a few years back too.

          The list of better ILB is too long to mention. But he is playing better.

          Not as lost as last year but also being asked to do more of what he does well ... like Royanda.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I never avoid crow when I'm wrong.

            Still not ready to admit anything on James. Though he was definitely more active than Ayodele yesterday.

            I was wrong about Ayodele. I thought he would do better but he seems invisibile.

            Comment


            • #7
              There are a lot of other LBs out there in the NFL that I'd rather have, but he's what we got, so I hope he continues to make the best out of it.

              (the mentality that I wish Roy bashers would have)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                I was wrong about Ayodele. I thought he would do better but he seems invisibile.
                I was pumped when we signed him. Not so pumped right now. . .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  I was pumped when we signed him. Not so pumped right now. . .
                  Well, my read is he was blossoming late last year in the BP Read-React scheme. Even started to play zone defense adequately.

                  But as most fannies wanted, we went to a more attacking scheme and now we are where we are on personnel decisions. I had made some of these same points in January when I stopped posting and others made similar.

                  Again, gotta blame someone for not being the D we expected. Coach, GM or Players. Pick.

                  Lord knows 7 First Rounders and 3 High Priced FA should get us something a little tighter. But to me, it is the GM and the substantive pilosophical shifts in Defensive Schemes over a 5 year period.

                  Campo to Parcells to Wade is disjointed. The mix of players is also so.

                  To me, press corners like TNew and In-the-box Safeties like Roy fit an attacking style team in the Jimmy Johnson mold. TNew to provide the man coverage which frees you up to blitz ALOT. Roy Williams to complement the smaller but much faster LBs. LBers that can cover like Randall Godfrey, Dat Nguyen, Coakley etc.......

                  The DL guys we have are classic 2 GAPers. DEs that are really tall and 300lbs plus. Stout NT, at least Fergie. Johnson and Ratliff is more a 3-4 DE or a Tampa II type DT. But overall, these are big burly guys. Not some 275lbs off the corner DE. Ellis is the only holdover of the protypical 4-3 DE.

                  The LBers are classic BP guys. OLB blitz some but must be able to cover. ILB run thumpers but must be able to play Zone Coverage. A few of these guys are good enuff to play either 3-4 or 4-3. Ware, Carpenter and Bradie could be 4-3 guys. I think Ayodele is 3-4 ILB, Spencer is a 4-3 DE and Burnett is a perfect 4-3 OLB -- not a swell suited for the 3-4 BP style. Carp is not WP 3-4 guy in any way and neither is Ayodele yet SPencer is a 3-4 WP OLB.

                  Anyway, that is my read. Clearly these guys can play other schemes and are talented but I would say we have a roster of D players that are a miss mash of talent. better suited for certain schemes
                  Last edited by cowboysforever; 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                    Well, my read is he was blossoming late last year in the BP Read-React scheme. Even started to play zone defense adequately.

                    But as most fannies wanted, we went to a more attacking scheme and now we are where we are on personnel decisions. I had made some of these same points in January when I stopped posting and others made similar.

                    Again, gotta blame someone for not being the D we expected. Coach, GM or Players. Pick.

                    Lord knows 7 First Rounders and 3 High Priced FA should get us something a little tighter. But to me, it is the GM and the substantive pilosophical shifts in Defensive Schemes over a 5 year period.

                    Campo to Parcells to Wade is disjointed. The mix of players is also so.
                    Yeah, but was that avoidable?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Yeah, but was that avoidable?
                      Uh, yes. Get a GM who knows the difference and has some philosophical conviction

                      I mean if you invest 7 First Rounders, 3 Big Ticket FAs, Resign a 4th Rounder for big money and pick up two brand name FA (Hamlin and Tank) ......... you should try to do this in context to a scheme you beleive in. Not flavor of the month D Coordinator who want something new.

                      Jerry made such noise about finding a coach familiar with "3-4" and ended up with a 46 coach. Results show in our performance and players "getting accustomed with the scheme." Happily we played the weakest part of the schedule early on. But the coverage schemes and our blitz are anything but OK to Good. Not very good or excellent.

                      Giants this year changed DC and they picked a guy who fits their personnel perfectly. Took them some games to figure it out but they are playing really well. But the GM knew enuff to know "get a D Coorindator to fit the scheme." He even knew enuff to go CB b/c it was a pressing/ attacking scheme where corner play is key (Ross).

                      So .......... yes, very avoidable Should have gotten a 3-4 Read React DC or HC. In 2002, at least it was clear Jerry was going a whole new direction when he picked BP. We knew the roster was being turned over.
                      Last edited by cowboysforever; 10-22-2007, 06:47 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                        Uh, yes. Get a GM who knows the difference and has some philosophical conviction

                        I mean if you invest 7 First Rounders, 3 Big Ticket FAs, Resign a 4th Rounder for big money and pick up two brand name FA (Hamlin and Tank) ......... you should try to do this in context to a scheme you beleive in. Not flavor of the month D Coordinator who want something new.

                        Jerry made such noise about finding a coach familiar with "3-4" and ended up with a 46 coach. Results show in our performance and players "getting accustomed with the scheme." Happily we played the weakest part of the schedule early on. But the coverage schemes and our blitz are anything but OK to Good. Not very good or excellent.

                        Giants this year changed DC and they picked a guy who fits their personnel perfectly. Took them some games to figure it out but they are playing really well. But the GM knew enuff to know "get a D Coorindator to fit the scheme." He even knew enuff to go CB b/c it was a pressing/ attacking scheme where corner play is key (Ross).

                        So .......... yes, very avoidable Should have gotten a 3-4 Read React DC or HC. In 2002, at least it was clear Jerry was going a whole new direction when he picked BP. We knew the roster was being turned over.
                        Your suggestion is to get a new GM? OK well, there's a dead end street for ya. Guess you'll have to suffer in your misery.

                        I have no complaints with Wade as our HC. I actually prefer his scheme over Parcells'. You should've known better if you thought Wade wasn't going to bring some turn over. That should've been apparent from the first pick of the draft in taking Spencer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          Your suggestion is to get a new GM? OK well, there's a dead end street for ya. Guess you'll have to suffer in your misery.
                          I was answering your question D-Unit. You asked was it avoidable. I said absolutely. Get a real GM.

                          That I suffer Jerry as a Cowboy fan. Very much so. I consider myself a very analytical fan with some background so inconsistencies in approach to building a squad really bothers me.

                          Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I have no complaints with Wade as our HC.
                          He is doing OK. Has been outcoached a few times however.

                          Regardless, he is what he is. There where no unknowns with Wade so from that sense he is doing what I expect.

                          I hope he does well but all to often I see a brighter Barry Switzer on the sidelines.

                          Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I actually prefer his scheme over Parcells'.
                          Well, to quote another posters facts ..... Wade's playoff teams are 5-11 and give up over 25 PPG. Even when they win 19PPG. BP's team are 12-9 and give up a little more than 15 PPG, 9PPG when they win.

                          The point being WP's Schemes are less effective in the playoffs because simply "going after the QB" works better when the opposing teams suck. When the teams are good and have good Offenses...... not so much.

                          Not sayin we can't win b/c we have great talent but I think it takes some nuance and brains to get there. Wade's insistence on his scheme sometimes seems as bizarre as BP's insistence on his.

                          Evidence the Giants and New England games where we gave up tons of points. Blitzing like drunken sailors. Safeties biting all over the place. Playing too much Base D and not enuff Dime. Using Bradie and Akin in Dime. Roy and Ellis in coverage.

                          But hey, one game we outscored them (Giants) and the other we could not ..... much like WP's playoff wins. As stated, WP's playoff wins came from outscoring his opponents. Parcells out defensed his opponents in his wins.

                          Speaks more to BP as a D guy than Wade.

                          Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          You should've known better if you thought Wade wasn't going to bring some turn over. That should've been apparent from the first pick of the draft in taking Spencer.
                          I think you are further making my central point. The fact our D is not playing to potential comes from a miss mash of players who have been obtained over the course of three defensive philosophies.

                          Not that these players are not talented, they are, but the fact they are not in a system that suits their talents is the central fault, and at the end of the day this problem starts with the GM who BY DESIGN changed the Defense 3 times in 5 years.

                          Jerry spoke a great deal about finding a 3-4 Coordinator but he did not. WP by all smart folks opinions is a 46 guy. We did not have 46 personnel.

                          So if Jerry was thinking Super Bowl NOW then how does it make sense???????

                          Or maybe, it is that Jerry does not really understand the difference between finding players to scheme versus just finding players????????

                          New England is the perfect example of a team who finds players to scheme and as much as I hate them it explains the below average talent on the Defense yet positive results.

                          Anyway, I wish Wade the best. He was hired to "do his thing" so I hope he does. This includes getting D players to fit his scheme. The GM needs to find WP the players he needs to coach his way .... GM also needs to get rid of who don't fit.

                          But please, next time, Jerry, if you talk about SB next year you should try to replace Coaches with "like models." Ferrari is a great engine. So is Lamborghini. Retrofitting one into the other is just silly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                            Bradie is a perfect example of a player being much less appreciated at home than he is abroad. Lots of posters on NFLDC value and admire James as a good player, and he gets all sorts of hell here because he isn't the second coming of Lee Roy Jordan.

                            But I wasn't mainly talking about you, D. You have given him some grief, but not nearly as much as a certain dumb*** that will remain unnamed at this time.
                            Don't know if you are referring to me or rob, but ill respond either way.

                            I've got a bigger problem with having both James and Ayodele in the game (similar skill sets), than I do against James himself.

                            I think a combination such as Bradie and Burnett would fit better.

                            James has been playing good lately. He is above average - great against the run and he is doing ok so far this year in coverage. I dont know if this is due to him losing weight, or due to a different scheme that doesn't involve roy and james being responsible for the TE for a majority of the game.

                            I still think it would be to our advantage to have a ILB in the game who is above average as far as linebackers go when it comes to his coverage ability and for me that guy is Burnett. Sure it's great to see him in there for nickle and dime packages, but I also think he provides a better pass rush than Ayodele or James. From what I've seen, he is quick off the ball and creates good pressure, where as Bradie pass rush skills are so-so and Akin's are practically nonexistent.

                            Go ahead and leave Bradie in there, Im satisfied with what he can provide against the run. He's a much better player at this weight and I like him better than Ayodele, but get Burnett in there with him. It provide's more versatility and allows us to do some different things that we cant do right now such as Blitz roy off of the corners more and leave burnett in mid range coverage.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              Don't know if you are referring to me or rob, but ill respond either way.

                              I've got a bigger problem with having both James and Ayodele in the game (similar skill sets), than I do against James himself.

                              I think a combination such as Bradie and Burnett would fit better.

                              James has been playing good lately. He is above average - great against the run and he is doing ok so far this year in coverage. I dont know if this is due to him losing weight, or due to a different scheme that doesn't involve roy and james being responsible for the TE for a majority of the game.

                              I still think it would be to our advantage to have a ILB in the game who is above average as far as linebackers go when it comes to his coverage ability and for me that guy is Burnett. Sure it's great to see him in there for nickle and dime packages, but I also think he provides a better pass rush than Ayodele or James. From what I've seen, he is quick off the ball and creates good pressure, where as Bradie pass rush skills are so-so and Akin's are practically nonexistent.

                              Go ahead and leave Bradie in there, Im satisfied with what he can provide against the run. He's a much better player at this weight and I like him better than Ayodele, but get Burnett in there with him. It provide's more versatility and allows us to do some different things that we cant do right now such as Blitz roy off of the corners more and leave burnett in mid range coverage.
                              I am all aboard with this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information