Keys to Beating the Eagles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thule View Post
    Last I heard Dawkins was only going to see about 50% of the defensive snaps.

Staying on the injury conversation...it looks like Anthony Henry will see his first action since spraining his ankle 4 weeks ago. He won't play alot but will see time in the dime defensive packages...(which dallas actually tends to use more than the nickel)
    Yeah i was gonna ask you guys about that, but ive been shying away from this board bc of alot of nonesense going on recently.

is there a specific reason for it? is it used only on 3rd and long, or even on say 3rd and 5 situations?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      Yeah i was gonna ask you guys about that, but ive been shying away from this board bc of alot of nonesense going on recently.

is there a specific reason for it? is it used only on 3rd and long, or even on say 3rd and 5 situations?
      By moving into the Dime we get another safety on the field....and Roy gets to play his natural position of Rover. Not only this but you have to factor that Burnett and Carp have both been knicked up this year. Basically it puts Watkins on the field playing the "don't get beat" type of coverage...and works into our strengths of some of our better players. We basically use it when it's not 3rd and lets say 3. It has also mattered what team we have faced...basically if you could run for a first down we'll stay in nickel...but if it's 3rd and 5...that is in favor of a passing situation so you'll see our dime package on the field. The reason for the changeup between the nickel and dime packages are that in the Dime Roy is often 6-8 yards off the ball...if teams were in managable running situations we wouldn't be able to fill the gap quick enough...

We have also got exotic in some of our dime packages. One time we lined up Ware and Spencer in the 7 tech...Ellis in the 5 tech...Ratliff in the 3 tech opposite of Ellis...then had Carp sit on the LOS in the A gap...and Roy sit in the B/C gap between Raliff and Ware...Pretty crazy to see that many bodies on the LOS. One of the few times all year we've brought 6 guys.
      Last edited by thule; 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Why brother...whyd you do it? lol j/p

no offense, just most cowboy fans ive come across in real life remind me an awful lot like yankee fans. and thats not a good thing.

but thats just over here, and of course it doesn't speak for everyone. so i won't stereotype all of ya. just most ;)
        To tell you the truth, I am also a Yankees and the Knicks fan for life. Non of my father, brothers are sports fans. The year I come to the states in late 1975, I start to watching football and the Cowboys won the SP in that year. Once I a fan on that team, I won't change. I see nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I guess you have no frame of reference, so it's kind of excusable. As long as you haven't changed, I guess it's okay.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

By moving into the Dime we get another safety on the field....and Roy gets to play his natural position of Rover. .....................then had Carp sit on the LOS in the A gap...and Roy sit in the B/C gap between Raliff and Ware...Pretty crazy to see that many bodies on the LOS. One of the few times all year we've brought 6 guys.
            Linebacker.

Comment

Why brother...whyd you do it? lol j/p

no offense, just most cowboy fans ive come across in real life remind me an awful lot like yankee fans. and thats not a good thing.

but thats just over here, and of course it doesn't speak for everyone. so i won't stereotype all of ya. just most ;)
              BBD,

I don't mean to bust your chops but New Yorkers know baseball much more than football IMHO. New Yorkers are actually quite smart baseball fans ... particularly Yankees fans.

On football ...... Cowboy fans I agree are a little soft (Nationwide) but in general Southerners and Texans know their football pretty darn good. You don't pack 14,000 for a HS football game unless you spend some time at it. Somewhat like PA, Ohio and Michigan up north.
              Last edited by cowboysforever; 11-03-2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

By moving into the Dime we get another safety on the field....and Roy gets to play his natural position of Rover. Not only this but you have to factor that Burnett and Carp have both been knicked up this year. Basically it puts Watkins on the field playing the "don't get beat" type of coverage...and works into our strengths of some of our better players. We basically use it when it's not 3rd and lets say 3. It has also mattered what team we have faced...basically if you could run for a first down we'll stay in nickel...but if it's 3rd and 5...that is in favor of a passing situation so you'll see our dime package on the field. The reason for the changeup between the nickel and dime packages are that in the Dime Roy is often 6-8 yards off the ball...if teams were in managable running situations we wouldn't be able to fill the gap quick enough...

We have also got exotic in some of our dime packages. One time we lined up Ware and Spencer in the 7 tech...Ellis in the 5 tech...Ratliff in the 3 tech opposite of Ellis...then had Carp sit on the LOS in the A gap...and Roy sit in the B/C gap between Raliff and Ware...Pretty crazy to see that many bodies on the LOS. One of the few times all year we've brought 6 guys.
                Yeah, I really like the fact that Watkins is seeing more playing time. I know he's FS in those sets, but I personally like him as a SS more because he has the wingspan to cover TEs in man coverage. He can do both quite honestly, I just like trying to match him up with the TE is all.

I don't really recall you guys ever running dime last year. I don't see alot of Cover 2 out of your sets either this year.

Comment

Originally posted by nrcirc View Post
                  To tell you the truth, I am also a Yankees and the Knicks fan for life. Non of my father, brothers are sports fans. The year I come to the states in late 1975, I start to watching football and the Cowboys won the SP in that year. Once I a fan on that team, I won't change. I see nothing wrong with that.
                  Well, I guess I'll give you a pass. Its just a little awkward that you were a fan of all those teams when they won championships around that time frame. But since you stuck with them for that long, I guess you warrant a pass.

By the way, Landry's Flex 4-3 is one of my favorite historical defensive schemes of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                    BBD,

I don't mean to bust your chops but New Yorkers know baseball much more than football IMHO. New Yorkers are actually quite smart baseball fans ... particularly Yankees fans.

On football ...... Cowboy fans I agree are a little soft (Nationwide) but in general Southerners and Texans know their football pretty darn good. You don't pack 14,000 for a HS football game unless you spend some time at it. Somewhat like PA, Ohio and Michigan up north.
                    They watch it more. Do they know more about it? Depends. As weird as it sounds, the smartest fans Ive come across in real life are Giants fans and Redskins fans. I don't know what it is about the internet that turns Redskins fans brains into mush, but theyre different in real life, at least the ones ive met. I think most Giants fans Ive come across in real life are actually pretty educated about football. New Jersey in general has very good football fans and is underrated as a football state. New York state is definately more of a baseball state, although baseball is huge in Jersey too. The comparison was made bc both Yankee fans and Cowboys fans tend to overvalue the players that play on their team just because they wear the pinstripes/star.

And trust me, being from North Jersey, Ive come across plenty of jackass Yankee fans. Its like alot of them think its their birthright to win the World Series every year.

Comment

Sticking to the topic at hand, a big matchup Im gonna pay attention to is Gaither vs Witten.

Gaither actually does a great job in coverage, and is underrated as a run stopper. He's developing, I think by next year possibly, he'll establish himself as the best MIKE in the NFC East. Thats is of course, if his DTs step it up in front of him.

But I love the guy's potential, and think he's gonna be a great player in the coming years. All the MIKEs in the East are run thumpers, Gaither is the only one who provides potential as an elite coverage MIKE.

Carp too I guess, but as the days go by, his stock gets worse and worse. Shame too, I really liked the guy coming out.

Comment

..... trust me, being from North Jersey, Ive come across plenty of jackass Yankee fans. Its like alot of them think its their birthright to win the World Series every year.
                        Jus' saying, it does not make them dumb baseball fans. Same with Cowboy fans -- front runners yes but not necessarily ignorant.

Comment

Carp too I guess, but as the days go by, his stock gets worse and worse. Shame too, I really liked the guy coming out.
                          Carp is a square peg in the WP 3-4 Hole.

He will not be given a chance to play unless two OLB go down to injury or two ILB go down.

If we committ to the WP 46 then he really should be traded this off season.

Comment

Yeah, I really like the fact that Watkins is seeing more playing time. I know he's FS in those sets, but I personally like him as a SS more because he has the wingspan to cover TEs in man coverage. He can do both quite honestly, I just like trying to match him up with the TE is all.

I don't really recall you guys ever running dime last year. I don't see alot of Cover 2 out of your sets either this year.

Watkins big issue for SS is the tackling IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                              Watkins big issue for SS is the tackling IMHO.
                              Being that he lead the team in tackles 6 weeks into the season last year I don't understand what you are getting at...your only out may be technique in his tackles...but that is A) coachable and b) not something to knock him for until he is hurt.

Comment

Being that he lead the team in tackles 6 weeks into the season last year I don't understand what you are getting at...your only out may be technique in his tackles...but that is A) coachable and b) not something to knock him for until he is hurt.
                                He is not a good tackler yet. I think he lacks some upper body strength at times. Which is why he has some technique problem. A little over compensationg.

Is it fixable, yeah, no one says otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information