No announcement yet.

Keys to Beating the Eagles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, I guess its safe to say the Eagles just aren't a good team right now. I never like counting them out, but it might be safe to say it now.

I really like the dime packages Wade has put together. And you guys run a lot of zone, but not alot of Cover 2, which is weird for a team that runs so much zone. A lot of substitions too. I think one thing in the future to worry about (this is nitpicking on my part) is if teams start running a no huddle against your base 3-4, they can isolate matchups they want. But not many teams can pull that off.

I also noticed that Wade's scheme in Dallas is a little different from SD. He isn't as aggressive in Dallas. Maybe that was just against the Eagles? Anyway, if for whatever reason Dallas doesn't succeed this year, don't blame the scheme. The scheme is great. I like it alot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      wow, I guess its safe to say the Eagles just aren't a good team right now. I never like counting them out, but it might be safe to say it now.

I really like the dime packages Wade has put together. And you guys run a lot of zone, but not alot of Cover 2, which is weird for a team that runs so much zone. A lot of substitions too. I think one thing in the future to worry about (this is nitpicking on my part) is if teams start running a no huddle against your base 3-4, they can isolate matchups they want. But not many teams can pull that off.

I also noticed that Wade's scheme in Dallas is a little different from SD. He isn't as aggressive in Dallas. Maybe that was just against the Eagles? Anyway, if for whatever reason Dallas doesn't succeed this year, don't blame the scheme. The scheme is great. I like it alot.
      The no huddle offense was brought up to Wade in a press conference when we played the patriots. His answer was...if teams substitute another WR on the field I'll have my DB go in as well. So if you think about it...the only way they could abuse our base defense with their base offense is if they split a TE or RB out wide...and teams seem to be scared to do that against us because of the pressure we can bring. I obviously don't have solid league numbers...but teams on constantly using max protect schemes on our defense...even when we move to the dime we see 6 or 7 men staying in to block it is crazy...I've never seen offenses do it so frequently.

It's funny because a lot of our sacks this year have been coverage sacks...but like you said we are running a lot of zone...and it's not like we have a lock down coverage secondary...but for the most part it is because teams are sending out just 3 players on passing patterns...and when you have 5 in coverage...those windows become pretty small..just ask McNabb...he was constantly forced to dump off to Westbrook late in the game after we switched Reeves off his man to man duties.

It's funny you mention the cover 2...which seemed to be about 80% of the time with Parcells. Wade believes that you work a scheme to fit the players...and we all know Parcells gets the players to fit the scheme. Wade knows that he doesn't want Roy playing deep halves...hell he learned it from the first play of the year. One thing I've noticed in our Dime package is that we run a lot of robber with our safeties. Hamlin will sit right in that middle zone behind where the LB set up...and Watkins will shift about 5 yards back and keep everything in front of him...one example was Hamlin's interception yesterday...you saw him and Watkins in a normal set about 15-20 yards deep...and then hamlin came up 5 yards and watkins went back 5 yards...both in the middle of the field...McNabb miss read it and paid.

The only problem with our Robber is that if teams streak a TE and a WR on opposite sides of the field you know who has deep responsibility on the TE side.....you got it Roy Williams. While he is mostly responsible for the RB out of the backfield nowadays he does have deep coverage when our CB's play that flats zone. You saw it a couple times against the eagles...I don't think you'll see us get abused by it...but a team like the Giants are the perfect example of a team that can do it.

Put Plax on the leftside...Shockey can either split slot right or offset in the TE position to get a clean release....send both players deep...plax on a double move...get shockey stretching the seem. If this happens and Eli had time..you would see...Henry getting over the top help from Watkins...You would see Roy running for his life to catch Shockey because the RB didn't release...you would see a pass 5 yards past Hamlin and then Newman running 20 yards and tackling shockey at the 5 yardline. Now that's not a big window for a QB to throw too...because although Watkins will start to shade towards Plax...he still has all deep responsibilites..so we are talking a pretty small window to Shockey...but if you hit that window it is going to be a TD.

On the aggressive scheme part...I think Wade benefited greatly from his front 7. Take out the ILB's and find me a guy on SD who can't rush the passer.

The funny thing is...Wade says he very rarely brings 6 guys. I've seen it maybe twice all year. But the same thing happened in SD...but when the 5 guys you send can all get to the QB all hell breaks lose. We have that in some personnel packages...but when you play Bowen and Hatcher..we really lose a lot in the running game...I saw a couple of times where McNabb read it an audibled to a run/draw/shuffle pass/screen. So while we don't look as agressive I just think it has to do with personnel. One thing I will say is that when we want pressure early you'll see Roy on the LOS ready to bring it....saw it on the first play of the eagles game...and also the first play of the patriots game. Roy is a really good player to watch if your curious to see what our team is going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
        The no huddle offense was brought up to Wade in a press conference when we played the patriots. His answer was...if teams substitute another WR on the field I'll have my DB go in as well. So if you think about it...the only way they could abuse our base defense with their base offense is if they split a TE or RB out wide...and teams seem to be scared to do that against us because of the pressure we can bring. I obviously don't have solid league numbers...but teams on constantly using max protect schemes on our defense...even when we move to the dime we see 6 or 7 men staying in to block it is crazy...I've never seen offenses do it so frequently.

It's funny because a lot of our sacks this year have been coverage sacks...but like you said we are running a lot of zone...and it's not like we have a lock down coverage secondary...but for the most part it is because teams are sending out just 3 players on passing patterns...and when you have 5 in coverage...those windows become pretty small..just ask McNabb...he was constantly forced to dump off to Westbrook late in the game after we switched Reeves off his man to man duties.

It's funny you mention the cover 2...which seemed to be about 80% of the time with Parcells. Wade believes that you work a scheme to fit the players...and we all know Parcells gets the players to fit the scheme. Wade knows that he doesn't want Roy playing deep halves...hell he learned it from the first play of the year. One thing I've noticed in our Dime package is that we run a lot of robber with our safeties. Hamlin will sit right in that middle zone behind where the LB set up...and Watkins will shift about 5 yards back and keep everything in front of him...one example was Hamlin's interception yesterday...you saw him and Watkins in a normal set about 15-20 yards deep...and then hamlin came up 5 yards and watkins went back 5 yards...both in the middle of the field...McNabb miss read it and paid.

The only problem with our Robber is that if teams streak a TE and a WR on opposite sides of the field you know who has deep responsibility on the TE side.....you got it Roy Williams. While he is mostly responsible for the RB out of the backfield nowadays he does have deep coverage when our CB's play that flats zone. You saw it a couple times against the eagles...I don't think you'll see us get abused by it...but a team like the Giants are the perfect example of a team that can do it.

Put Plax on the leftside...Shockey can either split slot right or offset in the TE position to get a clean release....send both players deep...plax on a double move...get shockey stretching the seem. If this happens and Eli had time..you would see...Henry getting over the top help from Watkins...You would see Roy running for his life to catch Shockey because the RB didn't release...you would see a pass 5 yards past Hamlin and then Newman running 20 yards and tackling shockey at the 5 yardline. Now that's not a big window for a QB to throw too...because although Watkins will start to shade towards Plax...he still has all deep responsibilites..so we are talking a pretty small window to Shockey...but if you hit that window it is going to be a TD.

On the aggressive scheme part...I think Wade benefited greatly from his front 7. Take out the ILB's and find me a guy on SD who can't rush the passer.

The funny thing is...Wade says he very rarely brings 6 guys. I've seen it maybe twice all year. But the same thing happened in SD...but when the 5 guys you send can all get to the QB all hell breaks lose. We have that in some personnel packages...but when you play Bowen and Hatcher..we really lose a lot in the running game...I saw a couple of times where McNabb read it an audibled to a run/draw/shuffle pass/screen. So while we don't look as agressive I just think it has to do with personnel. One thing I will say is that when we want pressure early you'll see Roy on the LOS ready to bring it....saw it on the first play of the eagles game...and also the first play of the patriots game. Roy is a really good player to watch if your curious to see what our team is going to do.
        You really did your hw on this scheme Thule. Props. Im gonna make a writeup breaking down our rematch later in the week. Its gonna be long. I'll post it both here and in the Giants discussion.

Im really digging Wade's scheme. Its different from what Im used to, since most of my knowledge of the 3-4 comes from watching the BP scheme for years, but I like this scheme too. Its different, but equally effective.

Comment

You really did your hw on this scheme Thule. Props. Im gonna make a writeup breaking down our rematch later in the week. Its gonna be long. I'll post it both here and in the Giants discussion.

Im really digging Wade's scheme. Its different from what Im used to, since most of my knowledge of the 3-4 comes from watching the BP scheme for years, but I like this scheme too. Its different, but equally effective.
          How painful do you think it is for me not to spend 10 dollars on this...
          http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-HOUSTON-OIL...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Anyone see the similarities of the 46 defense and our dime package :O

Comment

Yesterday, we played much less base than any time this year. Also blitzed 5/6 lots less. We also pretty much played nickel and dime on anything sniffing passing down. In fact, I thought it was our most conservative game of the year. Rushing 4 pretty much all night. Huge difference last night versus early in the season.

I praise the staff for last night -- played it perfectly. Best adjustments I have seen from them all year. Wish we had the same plan (plus Henry) v NE.

Nice pic -- wonder why they call iit 46? <laugh>

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
                Yesterday, we played much less base than any time this year. Also blitzed 5/6 lots less. We also pretty much played nickel and dime on anything sniffing passing down. In fact, I thought it was our most conservative game of the year. Rushing 4 pretty much all night. Huge difference last night versus early in the season.

I praise the staff for last night -- played it perfectly. Best adjustments I have seen from them all year. Wish we had the same plan (plus Henry) v NE.

Nice pic -- wonder why they call iit 46? <laugh>
                The name "46" originally came from the jersey number of Doug Plank.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                  The name "46" originally came from the jersey number of Doug Plank.
                  Also happens to be that 46 corresponds to the amount of guys at the LOS. 4 DL plus 6 .........

Comment

Im gonna make a writeup breaking down our rematch later in the week. Its gonna be long. I'll post it both here and in the Giants discussion.
                    Ill be looking forward to that, this next game is going to be huge, the Giants had 2 weeks to prepare, Plax should be well rested up and may be able to practice this week, looking forward 2 it

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I think the only game plan we needed for the Eagles was to "show up".

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information