Keys to Beating the Eagles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys to Beating the Eagles

Per Thule's comments, let's discuss the upcoming divisonal games and what to expect and what to do to beat them.

1st off - Dallas at Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles will be coming out of a game with the Vikings in which I predict they will lose a defensive battle. That being said, anytime you have to go to Philly to play, it's going to be a hard game, whether they're 0-8 or 8-0.

The key to stopping the Eagles offense revolves around stopping Westbrook. McNabb isn't playing like his probowl self, and when your best WR is Reggie Brown, you have problems. I think the key here is to get pressure on McNabb so that he makes mistakes and then preventing Westbrook from making big plays out of dump off passes (like Lynch did to us.) This is a team who has scored 16+pts only once this year and our Defense has done a great job of holding teams to less then 10pts outside of NE and NYG.

On the other side of the ball, I think we need to come out passing like we did against Minny and make their DL wear themselves out rushing after Romo. The reason their D has been so good is b/c they are solid in the Red Zone where you have to run the ball, butl I don't think they can hold up against our massive OL if they've been sprinting up and down the field all day. That being said, I'd like to see Barber have another 20 carry game with a nice spell of JJ.

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

I like what we did against Minnesota, a lot of short passes all over the field. That opened up the running game.

Comment

Pressure is the key, point blank...the Eagles have offensive line troubles all over, and cant protect the qb...we should have a field day sending blitzes, once that happens we should shut down Kevin Curtis having time to get down the field(who is the best wr, not brown) because he has a great chance to beat us deep if we dont get pressure...

Another thing to take note of is Westbrook on a screen play whenever we get used 2 sending the house on a blitz, I can see that play burning us if we dont keep our eyes open for it...Im not worried about Westbrook beating us on the ground, we do pretty solid against fast/quick backs, its him out of the backfield, lined up with James/Roy/Ayodele or any other mis-match he presents...none of those guys can run with him, if we dont address it, its going to be a long and miserable day

And I really want to come out and play great football these next 3 weeks, this Philly game should not be close if we execute

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure all Dallas has to do is show up to the game

Comment

All our Division opponents will give us fits.

Philly game boils down to how McNabb gets the ball downfield. If he can get the ball to Curtis -- we will have trouble stopping them.

Offensively, we will put up 28-35 points.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboysforever View Post
            All our Division opponents will give us fits.

Philly game boils down to how McNabb gets the ball downfield. If he can get the ball to Curtis -- we will have trouble stopping them.

Offensively, we will put up 28-35 points.

If we put up 28-35 IMO we will win comfortably. The key to the game is protecting the football and limiting our penalties.
            I've already predicted a sweep so obviously I see us winning.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

I think the OP has it right.

To beat Philly we've gotta contain Westbrook. The back in the flat has been an achilles heel for us since the Mike Zimmer days, and Philly is creative in finding non-traditional ways to get it to him (like the little shovel pass yesterday).

Comment

As an Eagles fan, I can tell you guys that you are on the right track. Your 3-4 DLine has to really hold up and contain on the runs, and the OLB's have to contain Westbrook out in space. When they get into third and longs, the Cowboys need to blitz McNabb up the middle to prevent him from stepping forward. His accuracy running forward is fantastic, but he's still struggling with his touch on the run. If you hit him enough, he will start to crumble.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I agree with much that has been said, I'd focus all my efforts on Westbrook and force McNabb to beat me (which I'm not sure he can).
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Watching McNabb yesterday, he looked slower and less accurate then he has ever looked in years past... Maybe the Eagles knew something when they took Kolb with their first pick

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

Comment

Um, McNabb looked probably his best this season. Consistent overall. Missed only a few throws and showed better burst. The fact that he called himself on a draw play is evidence that he and Reid both feel much better about his condition. He's not 100% (nor will he be this season), but he's getting better. Reggie Brown and Curtis are both getting involved as well.

If I'm the Cowboys, I absolutely make McNabb beat me, though.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I'm not very confident in this game. Mostly because it's in Philly and they always give us fits there.

Comment

Philly and Dallas tend to split their games. Doesn't matter who is better or worse or what year. Over the last 25-30 years, it should be pretty even.

Comment

All time, Dallas is 51-41 vs. the Eagles. Considering how horrid the Eagles have been over time, that's really pretty interesting...

Comment

I'd love to know what Dallas' record is in Philly, specifically in the last 15 to 20 years.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information