Free Agent / Cap Space Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
    I don't think Flozell will be resigned. He is currently playing at a high level but is also going to be 33 by the start of next season and has a history of injury during the last few years.
    So who do you think the replacement would be? If the coaching staff believes that either Free or McQuistan are ready to take over I might be okay with it, but I would be mad if we let a Pro Bowl LT leave only to sign a lesser replacement through free agency.

Desings by D-Unit

Comment

I think Free is the replacement. I think the OL will look like this in a year or two:

LT-Free
      LG-McQuistan
      C-Gurode
      RG-Bigg
      RT-Columbo

Swing T - Marten
      Swing G/C - Not currently on team

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
        I think Free is the replacement. I think the OL will look like this in a year or two:

LT-Free
        LG-McQuistan
        C-Gurode
        RG-Bigg
        RT-Columbo

Swing T - Marten
        Swing G/C - Not currently on team
        For the love of God, I hope Free pans out the way we all hope. Just to be safe, I would spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a OT, but the rest of you guys hate the idea...I know... I know... I'll just sit alone in my self worry. I'd rather Flo be back next year than turn it over that soon to Free.

Honestly I never see McQuistan becoming a full time starter for us without an injury occurring.

Comment

You guys seem to really hate Proctor and McQuistan and really love Free and Marten. This is like the love Stanback and hate Austin thing. Love Anderson but hate Hoyte. Kind of weird -- the new new new thing.

Comment

I think Free will eventually take over but, I do think we will re-sign Flozell. He's shown that when he's healthy he is pretty much as good as they come. We have one of the best Lines in the league for a change...I dont think we'll split them up just yet.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

Comment

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of taking a OT in the first round if we get a high enough pick to grab one.

I do think that McQuistan will be a starter for us soon. Everytime he's been in the game he's played well. He hasn't been overmatched (granted it's mostly preseason that he's played) and has played well against some top tier DE's.

We do have one of the better lines in the NFL and I don't necessarily want Flo to go, but I think Jerry will remember the Larry Allen contract. Signing an OL to a huge contract after they are 33 is just begging for some dead cap money in a couple of years.

I'm actually hoping for a mid-tier OG in FA along with a mid-high tier WR in the offseason.

Designs by Thule

I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

If we can get Flozell for a mid tier OT price i'm all for it. Because then if he starts to decline not only would he be benchable but also be able to be cut in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                  If we can get Flozell for a mid tier OT price i'm all for it. Because then if he starts to decline not only would he be benchable but also be able to be cut in the future.
                  Agreed. If we signed him for 5-6 million a year with little guaranteed money and a short deal like 3 years I'm all for it. Don't see it happening though.

Designs by Thule

Comment

P.S. Don't forget we're sitting on several million on dead cap money from the Rivera retirement this offseason as well. That will help the cap situation next year.

Designs by Thule

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit
                      I went ahead and did the dirty work of collecting our dear Cowboys contracts for every player. Data from www.rotoworld.com. It's updated with Romo's new contract. Glad we got Romo's contract out of the way, but there are many more dominos to fall before next season starts. Hopefully our salary cap is as good as some of you claim. I'm still a bit skeptic. Feel free to discuss.

Flozell Adams - 2007: $5,000,000, 2008: Free Agent
                      Marion Barber - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                      Joe Berger - 4/27/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                      Stephen Bowen - 4/13/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $360,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                      Chris Canty - 7/28/2005: Signed a five-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: $460,000 (voidable year), 2009: $545,000, 2010: Free Agent
                      Patrick Crayton - 2007: $1.3 million, 2008: Free Agent
                      Keith Davis - 4/10/2006: Signed a two-year, $3.1 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus. 2007: $925,000, 2008: Free Agent
                      Ken Hamlin - 3/23/2007: Signed a one-year, $2.56 million contract. The deal included an $800,000 signing bonus and contains $600,000 in incentives. 2007: $1.7 million, 2008: Free Agent
                      Julius Jones - 7/29/2004: Signed a six-year, $4.37 million contract. The deal included a $1.9 million signing bonus. 2007: $510,000, (2008-2009 voided), 2008: Free Agent
                      Nate Jones - 2007: $510,000, 2008: Free Agent
                      LP Ladouceur - 3/25/2006: Signed a two-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                      Terence Newman - 7/23/2003: Signed a seven-year, $33.4 million contract. The deal included a $6.5 million signing bonus and contains $13.1 million in guarantees. 2007: $1,138,667, 2008: $1,416,417 (voidable year), 2009: $1,694,165, 2010: Free Agent
                      Evan Oglesby - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                      Cory Proctor - 5/1/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                      Jay Ratliff - 7/20/2005: Signed a three-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                      Jacques Reeves - 4/20/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $850,000, 2008: Free Agent
                      Tyson Thompson - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                      Adams - If the cap space is available and the amount reasonable, I would franchise tag him in order to keep him for 2008. I wouldnt give him a long term deal considering his age and while he's playing good, it is a contract year for him which always makes players play better. The only reason why I would tag him would be to keep the OL intact for 2008 while grooming his replacement for 2009.

Barber - Would tender at the highest level (1st and 3rd) and would definitely try to sign him to a long term deal.

Canty - Solid player who could get better. Wont put up huge sack numbers because he's in the 3-4 and is meant to engage the OL in order for the LB core to roam free and make plays. Would resign him but wouldnt overpay him.

Crayton - Definitely would resign him. Is basically better than what Bryant was without the attitude. Good second WR opposite Owens.

Davis - Good special teams player but I wouldnt pay him more than what he's currently getting paid.

Hamlin - Has played well. Would resign if the team doesnt think that Watkins is ready. If he is, let Hamlin walk.

J. Jones - I see it says that his contract was voided. Was that because of him hitting an incentive/clause in his contract or was that from the team? If the team voided the contract, they're stupid considering the fact that he signed a cheap contract as a rookie. I would resign him either way because him and Barber are a damn good combo that keeps both fresh and lessens the possibility of injury. Not to mention the fact that teams who have two back sets dont do as good when they let one of the RB's leave. Be smart - keep him.

LP - Good long snapper. Underrated considering the position. Would resign.

Newman - He'll be 30 when the 2008 season starts and quite honestly, I wouldnt give him a contract longer than three years unless it's a dummy contract where the signing bonus is up front but the base salary is low and increases as the years go by thus allowing them to let him walk without penalty.

Ratliff - Would give him a solid tender offer but wouldnt overpay.

Reeves - Would resign. He's played well as a starter but is better suited for NB.

Thompson - Would resign if he doesnt ask for a lot mainly so I wouldnt have to look for a third RB.

For those that I didnt comment on, I would just let them leave and replace them on the second day of the draft.

Comment

Julius hit incentives in his contract which allow HIM to void his contract, which he did. The Cowboys weren't the ones to void his contract... it was him. He thinks he deserves more.

Thing about Canty that I keep hearing from our fans is how he's not going to be worth much in the open market. I think they are fooling themselves. He can play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Any team wanting him will realize he won't put up big sack numbers that would command Dwight Freeney numbers, but his contributions on defense cannot be thought as naught. Guys like him don't come around very often. He'll command a VERY nice pay check.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I went ahead and did the dirty work of collecting our dear Cowboys contracts for every player. Data from www.rotoworld.com. It's updated with Romo's new contract. Glad we got Romo's contract out of the way, but there are many more dominos to fall before next season starts. Hopefully our salary cap is as good as some of you claim. I'm still a bit skeptic. Feel free to discuss.

Flozell Adams - 2007: $5,000,000, 2008: Free Agent
                          Marion Barber - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                          Joe Berger - 4/27/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                          Stephen Bowen - 4/13/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $360,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                          Chris Canty - 7/28/2005: Signed a five-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: $460,000 (voidable year), 2009: $545,000, 2010: Free Agent
                          Patrick Crayton - 2007: $1.3 million, 2008: Free Agent
                          Keith Davis - 4/10/2006: Signed a two-year, $3.1 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus. 2007: $925,000, 2008: Free Agent
                          Ken Hamlin - 3/23/2007: Signed a one-year, $2.56 million contract. The deal included an $800,000 signing bonus and contains $600,000 in incentives. 2007: $1.7 million, 2008: Free Agent
                          Julius Jones - 7/29/2004: Signed a six-year, $4.37 million contract. The deal included a $1.9 million signing bonus. 2007: $510,000, (2008-2009 voided), 2008: Free Agent
                          Nate Jones - 2007: $510,000, 2008: Free Agent
                          LP Ladouceur - 3/25/2006: Signed a two-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                          Terence Newman - 7/23/2003: Signed a seven-year, $33.4 million contract. The deal included a $6.5 million signing bonus and contains $13.1 million in guarantees. 2007: $1,138,667, 2008: $1,416,417 (voidable year), 2009: $1,694,165, 2010: Free Agent
                          Evan Oglesby - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                          Cory Proctor - 5/1/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                          Jay Ratliff - 7/20/2005: Signed a three-year contract. 2007: $435,000, 2008: Restricted Free Agent
                          Jacques Reeves - 4/20/2007: Signed a one-year contract. 2007: $850,000, 2008: Free Agent
                          Tyson Thompson - 2007: $435,000, 2008: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
                          Here are the tenders I would give this year's RFAs as of this instant:
                          Marion Barber: 1
                          Joe Berger: Original
                          Chris Canty: 1
                          Ladouceur: 2 (or rather, sign him long-term)
                          Oglesby: Original
                          Ratliff: 2

Comment

Since my thread was deleted, does anyone know of a link to a list of upcoming FA?
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                              Since my thread was deleted, does anyone know of a link to a list of upcoming FA?
                              here you go....
                              http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

Thanks.

Two interesting WR names:

B. Berrian & B. Johnson

Another interesting name is Karlos Dansby. I would really like an upgrade over Akin.

Adding Dansby, a 1st round CB, 1st or 2nd round RB & WR, resiging Hamlin would be a very solid offseason, IMO.

I think we've got enough cap space to make one big offseason signing.
                                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information