No announcement yet.

Cowboys Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping around again....came across this.

Page 4...guess who's mock draft projection?
    3. OT Doug Free, Northern Illinois - The Future at LT. Two-time All-Mid-Am pick (2004-05). Heads into senior campaign with an active string of 36 consecutive starts (34 at LT and two at TE) and 156 knockdown blocks in 2,287 career snaps (2003-05). Serious 2007 National Football League draft material. All-America candidate with unique combination of athleticism, quick feet, and work ethic. Nicknamed by Northern Illinois teammates as "Doug Freak" for athleticism (:05.0 speed, 29-inch vertical jump, and 565-pound squat lift. Coach Joe Novak says Free could play TE in the NFL. Anchored rock-solid Northern Illinois O-line that blocked for nation's No. 16 major-college rushing attack (206.7 yards-per-game average) and total offense (441.1 ypg.) last season and paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.

Flozell being in the last year of his contract makes this pick an important one. We may even have to reach in Round 2 for him and find a WR in Round 3. Free is one of the more underrated prospects in this draft, but he has all the tools to make a successful NFL career.

http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-...ee_doug00.html

Other Hopefuls: James Marten, Dan Bazuin, Steve Smith, Fred Bennett, Desmond Bishop

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Honestly... I dont want to touch WR... I want to see Hurd and Austin continue to develop without bringing in another WR to complicate things...As for T, I see guard as more of a need... Davis could slide back over to LT next season, the position he wants to play and we could continue to develop and groom, Mcquistan. I think our biggest needs are NT, CB, and G.
      well you didnt want a wr last year or this year, I guess your just waiting for the day Hurd and Austin are our outside receivers eh? Development is fine, but some guys are only going to get so good, when TO got hurt at the end of the year, where were those guys stepping up? We should of taken a wr last year if the value was good, this year its a must...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
        Jumping around again....came across this.

Page 4...guess who's mock draft projection?
        Oh damn. That's ME! :D

I told you, I was really bummed when we passed on him in Roudn 3 and 4 and then got totally excited when we ended up getting him with our 2nd 4th rounder. The point where I really gave up on him and probably premature... was when he sustained his MCL injury. It was just the same story of injury all over again. Flashes of Jacob Rogers raced before my eyes. Maybe my disappointment in Free is all because of Rogers. I hope Free is the answer. I mean why wouldn't I? Saves us a draft pick. My thoughts are that if he is the answer, then don't overpay for Flozell. It's really that simple.

I'm pleased to see that I mentioned Marten as an alternate for that 3rd round pick! :D

Also, hit the nail on the head with the Deon Anderson pick. Woot! That was how early before the draft??? Oh yeah! :)

Comment

I'm telling you Spears is gonna break out... may seem like he's whining but, he's got a fire in his belly and should really benefit from Phillips scheme and knowledge. I think he'll post better numbers than that of Luis Castillo did this past season in a similar role.
          Oh MOTH, this was a great prediction. :D

Comment

• D-Unit, can you get threw your head that it was just an MCL sprain and he was back on the field in 2 weeks?!?!?

OMG your making it out like he blew out his knee. It is really pissing me off, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              Oh MOTH, this was a great prediction. :D
              Yall are in the wrong threads...I got a lot more right that I got wrong. :)

I was reading all this stuff yesterday for like an hour. Fun to look back.
              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                well you didnt want a wr last year or this year, I guess your just waiting for the day Hurd and Austin are our outside receivers eh? Development is fine, but some guys are only going to get so good, when TO got hurt at the end of the year, where were those guys stepping up? We should of taken a wr last year if the value was good, this year its a must...
                You have to give them time to develop...three years should be sufficient. To see what you actually have. It's way too early to give up on either of them. As for their perfomances when T.O. went down...Hurd was open quite a lot. Miles on the other hand, was nervous as could be in that game and he obviously didnt know the offense all that well. You have to remember that these guys were undrafted and still unexperienced. You need to give these things time. We have two talented guys here...you have to get them some real PT to see what you have and adding another guy to the mix is pretty much, giving up on them. We are not in dyer need of a WR.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

You have to give them time to develop...three years should be sufficient. To see what you actually have. It's way too early to give up on either of them. As for their perfomances when T.O. went down...Hurd was open quite a lot. Miles on the other hand, was nervous as could be in that game and he obviously didnt know the offense all that well. You have to remember that these guys were undrafted and still unexperienced. You need to give these things time. We have two talented guys here...you have to get them some real PT to see what you have and adding another guy to the mix is pretty much, giving up on them. We are not in dyer need of a WR.
                  No were not in dyer need yet, but do you want to wait until we are to draft one? Our starters are mid 30's, its time to draft a wr when that happens, Austin is just a depth filler, what does he give us that Devery Henderson or Troy Williamson cant? Those guys are doing what they will be doing, they will develop, but you cant expect everybody to turn into starting caliber wrs...

They have gotten a chance to prove themselves, practice, pre season, reg season, you honestly cant believe that you can just plug them into the starting lineup one year and hope it works, and if not, well thats a wasted year...

Nobody on our roster is every going to be a great #1 or #2, Crayton is a great 3 and a solid/decent 2, Hurd is a solid 3 with room to grow, Stanback is the guy were waiting on which is fine, but you cant believe this wr core is enough to bypass taking a wr again, thats just plain silly...You have to be ready in case of injuries, and ive already stated if TO gets hurt again were looking at Crayton and Hurd as our outside wrs #1 and #2, does that sound like an offense that scares anyone?

I mean come on MOTH, im not saying we dont have guys that still dont have room to grow, but if we go into the season set at wr without picking up a fresh body, we have to hope that TO at his age plays every single game

The only guys we are going to wait on are Hurd and Stanback, Austin is the first guy gone when we draft somebody, and when we sign a FA wr thats going to be glenns spot when he cant go.

Comment

No were not in dyer need yet, but do you want to wait until we are to draft one? Our starters are mid 30's, its time to draft a wr when that happens, Austin is just a depth filler, what does he give us that Devery Henderson or Troy Williamson cant? Those guys are doing what they will be doing, they will develop, but you cant expect everybody to turn into starting caliber wrs...

They have gotten a chance to prove themselves, practice, pre season, reg season, you honestly cant believe that you can just plug them into the starting lineup one year and hope it works, and if not, well thats a wasted year...

Nobody on our roster is every going to be a great #1 or #2, Crayton is a great 3 and a solid/decent 2, Hurd is a solid 3 with room to grow, Stanback is the guy were waiting on which is fine, but you cant believe this wr core is enough to bypass taking a wr again, thats just plain silly...You have to be ready in case of injuries, and ive already stated if TO gets hurt again were looking at Crayton and Hurd as our outside wrs #1 and #2, does that sound like an offense that scares anyone?

I mean come on MOTH, im not saying we dont have guys that still dont have room to grow, but if we go into the season set at wr without picking up a fresh body, we have to hope that TO at his age plays every single game

The only guys we are going to wait on are Hurd and Stanback, Austin is the first guy gone when we draft somebody, and when we sign a FA wr thats going to be glenns spot when he cant go.
                    We're having the same conversation in two threads...this is what i said in the other one...

Glenn is not a starter....Crayton is the starter and last season was his first season doing so...before the year began, he didnt even know he would be starting. We have 6 guys already...you need to know what you have in Stanbeck, Hurd, and Austin. You have to be patient...you have no idea if one of these guys can become a starter...and you're not going to find out by adding yet again another young WR. You act as though these guys arent going to get better. A lot of people thought the same about Welker when he played for the Chargers...you have to be patient...especially when dealing w/ players that went undrafted. It's not like T.O. is retiring any time soon...if these guys dont satisfy you by the end of this season...you draft a WR in 09, in what is a better year for WRs.

edit...you're jumping the gun a bit here...proclaiming Hurd, Crayton, and Austin this in that. Crayton was not only in his 1st year of starting but, was also banged up for a portion of the season....and Hurd and Austin were only beginning to see some actual PT.
                    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

We're having the same conversation in two threads...this is what i said in the other one...

Glenn is not a starter....Crayton is the starter and last season was his first season doing so...before the year began, he didnt even know he would be starting. We have 6 guys already...you need to know what you have in Stanbeck, Hurd, and Austin. You have to be patient...you have no idea if one of these guys can become a starter...and you're not going to find out by adding yet again another young WR. You act as though these guys arent going to get better. A lot of people thought the same about Welker when he played for the Chargers...you have to be patient...especially when dealing w/ players that went undrafted. It's not like T.O. is retiring any time soon...if these guys dont satisfy you by the end of this season...you draft a WR in 09, in what is a better year for WRs.

edit...you're jumping the gun a bit here...proclaiming Hurd, Crayton, and Austin this in that. Crayton was not only in his 1st year of starting but, was also banged up for a portion of the season....and Hurd and Austin were only beginning to see some actual PT.
                      I don't know, moth... I'm with LL on this one...
                      I think Glenn is done, not only as a cowboys but probably as an nfl player too.. He's old, he's coming back froma big injury and he was able to stay healthy only one time in his career. So I expect him to be cut...
                      So our starting group will be Owens, Crayton and Hurd. You think that Crayton will be fine in his second season as a starter, but I don't think so. He's best suited for the slot, he's the guy who can recognize a blitz and find the soft zone. That's what he does best, he's a great slot receveir.
                      We need a number 2 and a future replacement for TO.
                      As LL said, if TO goes down again, we'll have Crayton and Hurd as our starters... And TO is a guy who is often injured...
                      Hurd is a good guy, but I really don't see him as a starter in this league. He's a great special teamer, he got great work ethic, and can contribute occasionally. But he doesn't have great skills. His speed is average, is size too, and he drops some balls. I see him as an "average Joe", I think that every team in this league has a guy like Hurd, but we, as fans, think higher of our team's players. Just like we were excited about Tyson Thompson being a good change of pace back, or Petitti maturing and becoming a good RT.
                      It's true that you have to wait and see how your players develope, but I don't see Hurd and Austin becoming more than average slot receivers. I think they're on this team because of their contribution on ST and not to be our future WR's.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Everyone thinks Glenn will get cut...this is not a given at all. What if he doesnt retire or get cut? You still want another receiver? We already have 6 and we dont even know what we even have yet in three of those guys.

As for Hurd...I do so see him as a starter type. His route running has greatly improved in two years, he's our best blocking WR, his hands are underrated...he goes up and catches the ball at it's highest point w/ regularity. His hands shouldnt be in question at all. I see a bright future...he wants to be the best, he has excellent work ethic and he has become T.O.'s protege. I wouldnt be surprised to see Hurd looking bigger and stonger this upcoming season, after working out w/ T.O. for an entire off-season. If Hurd has another year similar to this one...he'll be getting looks from other teams to potentially start or to have a larger role. He is a FA next year. As unbiased as can be...I love what I see from Hurd.

As for Crayton...way too much hate going on w/ him. He is a capable #2 who could have been in for a big pay day if he had hit the open market. He may have been the Dolphins #1 receiver if we let him walk. Considering how much Tony looks upon T.O. and Witten...Crayton had a great year in an injury riddled season. The only real complaint I have is his mouth. He needs to shut it and stay focused...he is a fine #2 receiver...who still has room to get better.

Lets say Glenn is out...I still find it unlikely we draft a receiver...it would most likely be a veteran ala Javon Walker or not addressed at all. There is no guarantee that Walker would even be the starter either...they may opt to start Crayton still.

Adding to this...If T.O. goes down...you shouldnt have much of a problem w/ the remaining receivers, Dual Rbs, and two good TE's. You can get very creative...but, that's on Garrett. I wouldnt be too quick to judge these guys in one Owensless half and a rainy game where our QB had to wear gloves.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-15-2008, 02:51 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Everyone thinks Glenn will get cut...this is not a given at all. What if he doesnt retire or get cut? You still want another receiver? We already have 6 and we dont even know what we even have yet in three of those guys.

As for Hurd...I do so see him as a starter type. His route running has greatly improved in two years, he's our best blocking WR, his hands are underrated...he goes up and catches the ball at it's highest point w/ regularity. His hands shouldnt be in question at all. I see a bright future...he wants to be the best, he has excellent work ethic and he has become T.O.'s protege. I wouldnt be surprised to see Hurd looking bigger and stonger this upcoming season, after working out w/ T.O. for an entire off-season. If Hurd has another year similar to this one...he'll be getting looks from other teams to potentially start or to have a larger role. He is a FA next year. As unbiased as can be...I love what I see from Hurd.

As for Crayton...way too much hate going on w/ him. He is a capable #2 who could have been in for a big pay day if he had hit the open market. He may have been the Dolphins #1 receiver if we let him walk. Considering how much Tony looks upon T.O. and Witten...Crayton had a great year in an injury riddled season. The only real complaint I have is his mouth. He needs to shut it and stay focused...he is a fine #2 receiver...who still has room to get better.

Lets say Glenn is out...I still find it unlikely we draft a receiver...it would most likely be a veteran ala Javon Walker or not addressed at all. There is no guarantee that Walker would even be the starter either...they may opt to start Crayton still.

Adding to this...If T.O. goes down...you shouldnt have much of a problem w/ the remaining receivers, Dual Rbs, and two good TE's. You can get very creative...but, that's on Garrett. I wouldnt be too quick to judge these guys in one Owensless half and a rainy game where our QB had to wear gloves.

TO went down last year and we DID have trouble, the offense couldnt move, Crayton couldnt stretch the field, Austin cant catch, we had no one to step up...and you really expect to rely on Glenn to play all season? Its just not smart to go into the season with two starting wrs in their mid 30's and expect young guys to step up if they have to...

Im not saying we have to get rid of everybody, but im not sure what your attachment is to Austin, just because he's young doesnt mean he has the potential to be a gamebreaker, and one day he's just going to wake up with it...He does one thing well, and ive yet to see him show me anything else that he can do...Ive seen Hurd come into real games and make plays, cant say the same for Austin, this is the NFL, you cant expect for him to keep his job and keep saying potential...you said the same things last year about him, and in all that time he didnt make the most of his opportunities this year, sometimes thats all you get to show people and he didnt improve any...

Comment

• I have to admit that I am excited about Hurd, although that enthusiasm was tempered somewhat during the season this year. I too really like his work ethic, but I'm unsure whether he can really be anything more than a slot guy.

I'd also like to give Stanback a chance to show what he can do. Obviously there are a lot of people that think highly of him: the coaching staff, the ownership, and the scouting department. He definitely is a veritable athlete. With all of these young guys waiting in the wings, I have to believe that unless we get a really good value on someone in the first round, we won't be selecting a wide receiver until at least the second and probably the third.

Comment

TO went down last year and we DID have trouble, the offense couldnt move, Crayton couldnt stretch the field, Austin cant catch, we had no one to step up...and you really expect to rely on Glenn to play all season? Its just not smart to go into the season with two starting wrs in their mid 30's and expect young guys to step up if they have to...

Im not saying we have to get rid of everybody, but im not sure what your attachment is to Austin, just because he's young doesnt mean he has the potential to be a gamebreaker, and one day he's just going to wake up with it...He does one thing well, and ive yet to see him show me anything else that he can do...Ive seen Hurd come into real games and make plays, cant say the same for Austin, this is the NFL, you cant expect for him to keep his job and keep saying potential...you said the same things last year about him, and in all that time he didnt make the most of his opportunities this year, sometimes thats all you get to show people and he didnt improve any...
                              We dont have two starters in their mid-thirties...I keep saying this, Crayton is the starter, not Glenn.

As for Austin...this is probably it for him. This is a HUGE off-season and camp for him. He has excellent raw skills but, he is still very green. There is some great potential there. Coming from Monmouth you would expect this...will he pan out? Who knows but, this isnt a guy you just let get away. The coaches obviously like this guy...he had a rough pre season but, still managed to make the team as a 6th WR...and Garrett tried to utilize him a lot at the end of the year...especially on the deep ball, where he looked a step ahead of every player that covered him. He was getting pass interference calls, which is just as good as a reception. He even played more than Hurd did in the playoff game...they were trying to get the ball to him deep...it was a little too obvious though. I think Miles will get one more year to prove himself...like i said, there is some great potential there...and he has to be given time.

I apologize if this seems a little rushed or oddly put together...I was kind of in a hurry. haha. :)
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-15-2008, 11:25 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I think all this talk just really brings up the answer of how nice would it be to have a RB to split out wide...look at how the eagles use Westbrook...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information