Why cornerback?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul View Post
    I Agree with D-UNIT 100 friggin %. CB is far down my list on needs. Reggie Nelson or bust.
    I don't mind CB after round 1.

Comment

Here's my question. What position do you want other than Safety?

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
        I, Myself would want(in order):
        OG
        WR
        K
        CB/OT

Now of course if we take care of some of these in FA, then CB would be...Slightly more attractive in the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
          I, Myself would want(in order):
          OG
          WR
          K
          CB/OT

Now of course if we take care of some of these in FA, then CB would be...Slightly more attractive in the 1st.
          I think drafting a Wr is pointless and I dont see us going Guard because, we the team is already talking about signing such vets as Leonard Davis or Steinbach. I'd be pretty surprised if we dont go CB or S. Lets say Hall fell to 22, you wouldnt want us to take him?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            I think drafting a Wr is pointless and I dont see us going Guard because, we the team is already talking about signing such vets as Leonard Davis or Steinbach. I'd be pretty surprised if we dont go CB or S. Lets say Hall fell to 22, you wouldnt want us to take him?
            I would take Hall at 22, no question. that is a steal. Its a fact that Hall is not a popular guy on this board, because in the Fantasy Off-Season Mock Draft, he actuallly DID fall to us at #22, with the Giants taking Ross as the first CB. Too bad in real life, NFL team scouts won't be as ignorant to let him slide that far.
            Last edited by bigmac076; 03-01-2007, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac076 View Post
              I would take Hall at 22, no question. that is a steal.
              If Brady Quinn is there, I would take him too.

Comment

There is actually a possibility that Hall could fall. Either him or Revis could see himself slipping in this draft. Of course, I was speaking hypothetically before.

In all honesty, I cant see any other pick other than S or Cb that makes any sense. We're already looking at FA guards, We have some nice youth at WR... in Crayton, Austin, and Hurd. (Wasnt a problem area last season either) Say a guy like Levi is some how available, I could see us passing on him... Flozell still has got a few years left in the tank and we're about to lock up Colombo. We're stacked at LB, there is no NT worth taking in the first, and with Spears, Canty, and Hatcher a 1st DE would be another wasted selection. It has to be Corner or Safety.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  Oh I want a safety, thats for sure. But he asked what other position other then S would we want in the 1st. But If Hall and Nelson were still on the board at 22, It's all about Nelson for me.

As for WR, I'm not in love with Miles and Hurd as others are. IF we could get Allison, C Davis and etc in the 1st day, I'm all for that.

Comment

Easy. OLB. Easy. There should be some outstanding players available for us at that position. Jarvis Moss would be a tremendous pick up for us. Moss on one side and Ware on the other would be absolutely sssssssssick! Oooooohhhwee!! If he's not there, we could find great value if Anthony Spencer or Charles Johnson are on the board. I highly doubt all 3 will be gone.

Greg Ellis is in the twighlight of his career, coming off season ending injury, fresh off learning a new position. Fact of the matter is our season tanked when he went down because we had no answer there. Even if he's ready for the beginning of the season, Moss will have some time to groom behind him.

Carpenter's role should continue to be inside. He's got a year under his belt at the position and his skill set is suited nicely inside. I expect him to be able to give us the blitz pressure up the middle on passing downs and be able to stuff the run while withstanding constant hitting. His instincts, range and ability to shed blockers makes him a nice fit at Strong Side Inside Linebacker.

So if not Safety? SOLB. ...and I wouldn't be upset with Tyler either.

Comment

I guess that's where we differ. I think that Bobby Carpenter is the SOLB. I see no other reason why. If he's not, then why did we draft him last year?

If we want speed inside I think Burnett should move inside more than Carp. I think an OLB would be a waste of a pick in the first round.

I don't see how you can say that we're better off at CB than at OLB. None of our starting LB's is over 30 (Assuming either Carp or Burnett is the starter next year) and 2 of our top 3 CB's are 30+.

Designs by Thule

I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

I guess that's where we differ. I think that Bobby Carpenter is the SOLB. I see no other reason why. If he's not, then why did we draft him last year?

If we want speed inside I think Burnett should move inside more than Carp. I think an OLB would be a waste of a pick in the first round.

I don't see how you can say that we're better off at CB than at OLB. None of our starting LB's is over 30 (Assuming either Carp or Burnett is the starter next year) and 2 of our top 3 CB's are 30+.
                        I guess so. If we address FS in FA and Carp is the future at SOLB in Phillips' plan, then I could deal with a corner... I'd much rather trade down, pick up Tyler and another pick... but... trade talk is always day dream and not worthy of real discussion imo.

I'm not ready to assume Carp is the future at SOLB. Right now he's had a year at ILB and is still slated there, so until news breaks that he's making a move to the outside, I'm hesitant on making that assumption. Could happen, just saying, I'm not ready to assume it.

I do think that we did draft Carp to be our SOLB originally, but I think his role changed when BP saw him closer up in training camp. I think that if he was going to be the future at SOLB, then BP would've keep him behind Ellis.

As for Burnett, I like his fit at WOLB behind Ware.

As far as our needs on Defense, I'll break it down Bill Parcells style:

Need to have:
                        NT
                        FS
                        SOLB

Would like to have:
                        Donnie Edwards
                        Veteran DE

Nice to have:
                        CB

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I guess so. If we address FS in FA and Carp is the future at SOLB in Phillips' plan, then I could deal with a corner... I'd much rather trade down, pick up Tyler and another pick... but... trade talk is always day dream and not worthy of real discussion imo.

I'm not ready to assume Carp is the future at SOLB. Right now he's had a year at ILB and is still slated there, so until news breaks that he's making a move to the outside, I'm hesitant on making that assumption. Could happen, just saying, I'm not ready to assume it.

I do think that we did draft Carp to be our SOLB originally, but I think his role changed when BP saw him closer up in training camp. I think that if he was going to be the future at SOLB, then BP would've keep him behind Ellis.

As for Burnett, I like his fit at WOLB behind Ware.

As far as our needs on Defense, I'll break it down Bill Parcells style:

Need to have:
                          NT
                          FS
                          SOLB

Would like to have:
                          Donnie Edwards
                          Veteran DE

Nice to have:
                          CB

Would you consider drafting another OLB in the first round?

Comment

What do you mean he's had a year at ILB. He played primarily SOLB this year. The last game of the season he played almost exclusively at SOLB and came away with a monster game.

I do not think that Donnie Edwards would even start for us this year. Burnett has all the physical tools to play inside or outside. If you feel that Carpenter is the ILB then you have Ellis on the outside and Burnett on the outside. I just dont think that Edwards is even a starter for us....signing him does nothing for me at all.

I do agree that James and Ayodele do not offer a 'donnie edwards esque' player in the middle. But then again, when did he have that in Buffalo either? I do not want a guy that will be 34 in April to be signed on defense or offense (other than QB, that is WAYYYY too old for a FA). I think Burnett has the similar physical ability as Donnie Edwards and is quite a bit Bigger (Edwards is listed at 227 lbs).

Designs by Thule

Comment

Bobby Carpenter is tricky. His development can be severely hindered over the course of the next 2 years if not handled properly. In BP's scheme, he is a SOLB, in that style of scheme the SAM is asked to play like a Carl Banks/Mike Vrabel type of role.

But in Phillips scheme, theres almost no distinction between WILL and SAM. Its essentially 2 pass rushing DE/OLBs on the edges. Theyre almost exclusively pass rushers. So in that case, you want Ware and Ellis on the edge, and Carpenter inside. Phillips uses his SILB the way BP uses his SAM. Carpenter is known for having good TE coverage, coupled with the ability to rush the passer and thats the role of the SILB for Wade.

The problem is, all this moving around will hinder his development. He needs one role, and he needs to work on that one role. So that could be a problem if not handled correctly.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3o2ULj5IsQ

This video make me believe we should draft Nelson. With Roy Williams and Nelson, WRs should be aware that they may get hurt when they play us . If we draft Nelson, he may start over Watkins. I don't think any CB will start over Henry this year and I don't think any CB will have big impact as Nelson for the cowboys this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information