Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UTPATS View Post
    I do not necessarily agree.

In 2003, we picked Terence Newman in the first round. He obviously wasn't a flop, but we still picked 3 more CBs in the next year's draft.

In 2004, we traded back and drafted Julius Jones what was our first pick. He wasn't exactly a bust, but we still drafted Marion Barber the next year to address a need at RB.

So, IMHO, if we do not trade for a WR and we do draft one in the first round, that [B]does not necessarily mean we won't address the same position in the next year's draft if we still in fact have a need there[B].
    Back in those days we didn't have depth at the positions. At WR we have Hurd/Crayton/Stanback/Austin....we didn't have near that depth at CB or RB back in the days.

Comment

I don't see what Thomas has vs. Stanback physically...apart from the body of work they look similar to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
        I don't see what Thomas has vs. Stanback physically...apart from the body of work they look similar to me.
        I'm against drafting a WR all together, but if that was going to be the pick I would prefer Thomas.

...Going back to Stanback, we got the guy for a reason and we need to let him develop. We aren't in an immediate hole at WR so I think an early pick on a guy would be a waste.

Everyone has the same like of reasoning on why we need one -- "What if T.O. goes down?" but my line of thinking is if T.O. goes down, we're ******. None of the guys in this draft are going to step up in their rookie season, dominate, and fill the void that T.O. leaves -- so why waste and early pick on any of them?

We still aren't even sure about Austin yet either. The only thing the guy really lacks is confidence. He seems scared and thinks a little too hard when he is out there, but he has the speed and ability to be something.

Stanback has potential. Hurd could turn out to be a serviceable #2/ possession receiver. Plus, Crayton should improve a bit over last year (worry more about whats going on in the game instead of running his mouth)

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
          Back in those days we didn't have depth at the positions. At WR we have Hurd/Crayton/Stanback/Austin....we didn't have near that depth at CB or RB back in the days.
          Depth, as far as numbers go, might not be the most important aspect. The main point of my post was, "as long as we have a need" at WR, Jerry must continue to pursue the options.

IMO Austin will never be more than a questionable #4 WR and could find himself out of luck as a return man here in the next year or so, depending on Pacman or drafting a guy. Hurd is a solid #4 WR but with very limited potential to ever become a #3. There are still too many question marks regarding Stanback. From what I have seen and heard, I like him, but I do not want to bank on him and these other guys getting us through this season.

Once again, if we trade for a guy like Boldin or Roy Williams, you can sustain close to the same level of production once T.O. is no longer a Dallas Cowboy.

It will most likely not happen.
          2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
          - Cleveland Browns GM
          - Dallas Cowboys GM
          - Atlanta Falcons GM

Comment

Apparently, Donnie Avery had a great workout yesterday, according to the thread over in the 2008 Draft Forum. He's about the size of Terry Glenn (5'11, 182 lbs.) Great speed. He'd be a great replacement for Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by FinChase View Post
              Apparently, Donnie Avery had a great workout yesterday, according to the thread over in the 2008 Draft Forum. He's about the size of Terry Glenn (5'11, 182 lbs.) Great speed. He'd be a great replacement for Glenn.
              I'm still turned off at how disappointed he was at the senior bowl...but Mayock did have him as his #1 WR for awhile...so maybe our 3rd woudl be ok...however that seems unlikely.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information